80 Sorrow Quotes About Pain And Suffering Of Life
Looking for inspirational quotes about feeling sorrow? We have rounded up the best collection of sorrow quotes, sayings, phrases captions, status, (with images and pictures) that you might relate to.
Sorrow is a feeling of deep distress and grief caused by loss, disappointment, or other misfortune suffered by oneself or others.
Life is a journey of ups and downs, joys and sorrows, sadness, and happiness. When we experience sorrow it’s a deep state of sadness from within.
Also See: Suffering Quotes
Though sorrow and grief are saddening and heartbreaking, there is also hope. Hope that you will overcome the sorrow and things will be better again.
The suffering will fade away with time and the pain will eventually make you stronger. These inspirational sorrow quotes will help you to endure and get rid of misery and give you comfort in testing times.
Sad Sorrow Quotes About Being Unhappy
- “Never try to drown your sorrows if she can swim.” – Ken Alstad
- “He who has most of heart, knows most of sorrow.” – P. J. Bailey
- “Night brings out stars as sorrow shows us truths.” – Philip James Bailey
- “One thing you can’t hide — is when you’re crippled inside.” – John Lennon
- “Accept that sorrow and strife are part of even a joyful life.” – Cheryl Strayed
- “Pure and complete sorrow is as impossible as pure and complete joy.” – Leo Tolstoy
- “Things change. And friends leave. Life doesn’t stop for anybody.” – Stephen Chbosky
- “Worry never robs tomorrow of its sorrow, it only saps today of its joy.” – Leo Buscaglia
- “Joy’s recollection is no longer joy, While Sorrow’s memory is a sorrow still.” – Lord Byron
- “Joy, being altogether wanting, It doth remember me the more of sorrow.” – William Shakespeare
- “Never let anything so fill you with sorrow as to make you forget the joy of the Christ risen.” –Mother Teresa
- “Life’s joys and sorrows meet us every day, But some are blinded by their tears of sorrow And see no joy.” – S. Moore
- “It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.” – Sue Monk Kidd
- “The easiest and simplest way to deal with sorrow is to remember that nothing is permanent.” – S.S
- “A million words would not bring you back, I know because I tried, neither would a million tears, I know because I cried.” – Unknown
- “Sorrow rightly used may often give insight, forcing the mind to think and the eye to see; just as disease may read us many a lesson.” – Hugh Black
- “As the light begins to intensify, so does my misery, and I wonder how it is possible to hurt so much when nothing is wrong.” – Tabitha Suzuma
- “Every heart has its secret sorrows which the world knows not, and oftentimes we call a man cold, when he is only sad.” – Henry W Longfellow
- “A great sorrow, like a mariner’s quadrant, brings the sun at noon down to the horizon, and we learn where we are on the sea of life.” – Henry W Longfellow
- “Enjoy the beauty. When Miss Joy enters, welcome her charming company but don’t try to stop her; she is beautiful, but fickle. Let her go; don’t lock the door; because Mr Sorrow is coming. Welcome him with open doors lest he breaks the windows. He is not very popular. He stays a little longer. Offer him a mug of beer. He goes; Miss Joy is returning. But give her a glass of diet coke!” – Swami Swaroopananda
Best Quotes About Sorrow
Initially it is very difficult to get over this sadness but one should take it as a challenge and learn how to get rid of this feeling and navigate towards the future.
- “All sorrows are bearable, if there is bread.” – Miguel de Cervantes
- “Tears come from the heart and not from the brain.” – Leonardo da Vinci
- “We choose our joys and sorrows long before we experience them.” –Khalil Gibran
- “Sorrow looks back, Worry looks around, Faith looks up.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “Every life has a measure of sorrow, and sometimes this is what awakens us.” – Steven Tyler
- “Whenever sorrow comes, be kind to it. For God has placed a pearl in sorrow’s hand.” –Rumi
- “When sorrows come, they come not single spies, but in battalions.” – William Shakespeare
- “There is a sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness, but of power.” – Washington Irving
- “Breathing is hard. When you cry so much, it makes you realize that breathing is hard.” – David Levithan
- “You cannot protect yourself from sadness without protecting yourself from happiness.” – Jonathan Safran Foer
- “Heavy hearts, like heavy clouds in the sky, are best relieved by the letting of a little water.” – Christopher Morley
- “Sorrows cannot all be explained away in a life truly lived, grief and loss accumulate like possessions.” – Stefan Kanfer
- “Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live.” – Norman Cousins
- “Truly, it is in darkness that one finds the light, so when we are in sorrow, then this light is nearest of all to us.” – Meister Eckhart
- “Sorrow is knowledge, those that know the most must mourn the deepest, the tree of knowledge is not the tree of life.” – Lord Byron
- “Nobody knows the trouble I’ve seen Nobody knows my sorrow Nobody knows the trouble I’ve seen Glory, Hallelujah.” – Louis Armstrong
- “Every human walks around with a certain kind of sadness. They may not wear it on their sleeves, but it’s there if you look deep.” – Taraji P. Henson
- “Every man has his secret sorrows which the world knows not; and often times we call a man cold when he is only sad.” – Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- “It’s the sorrow you feel that allows you to crave love. Without the suffering, there would be no true pleasure. Without tears, no joy. Without deficiency, no longing. This is the secret of the human heart, Rom.” – Ted Dekker
- “Quiet and sincere sympathy is often the most welcome and efficient consolation to the afflicted. Said a wise man to one in deep sorrow, I did not come to comfort you; God only can do that; but I did come to say how deeply and tenderly I feel for you in your affliction.” – Tryon Edwards
Sorrow Quotes For Death And Loss Of Loved One
Sorrow is the opposite of happiness, yet both are part of human existence. There can be many reasons for of sorrow from heart break to the death or loss of a loved one. You take time to heal and overcome the sorrowful event.
Also See: Pain Sad Quotes
The key to overcoming sorrow and sadness is to remember that you will get past it in time — even though you can’t possibly see how at the present.
- “Our pleasures are shallow, our sorrows are deep.” – Proverb
- “I want to go back to a time before it was too late.” – Unknown
- “The deepest sorrow was once the loudest happiness.” – Unknown
- “There is no wisdom in useless and hopeless sorrow.” – Samuel Johnson
- “Sorrows come to stretch out places in the heart for joy.” – Edwin Markham
- “Sometimes it feels better not to talk. At all. About anything To anyone.” – Unknown
- “The only way to take sorrow out of death is to take love out of life.” – Russell M. Nelson
- “Poetry comes from the highest happiness or the deepest sorrow.” – A. P. J. Abdul Kalam
- “Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal.” – Unknown
- “In my dream, I was drowning my sorrows But my sorrows they’d learned to swim.” – Unknown
- “Good night, good night! Parting is such sweet sorrow, that I shall say good night till it be morrow.” – William Shakespeare
- “The excursion is the same when you go looking for your sorrow as when you go looking for your joy.” – Eudora Welty
- “Sorrow makes us all children again – destroys all differences of intellect. The wisest know nothing.”- Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “Sorrow was made for man, not for beasts; yet if men encourage melancholy too much, they become no better than beasts.” – Miguel de Cervantes
- “Only people who are capable of loving strongly can also suffer great sorrow, but this same necessity of loving serves to counteract their grief and heals them.” – Leo Tolstoy
- “Pain and sorrow and misery have a right to our assistance: compassion puts us in mind of the debt, and that we owe it to ourselves as well as to the distressed.” – Joseph Butler
- “Life is a series of natural and spontaneous changes. Don’t resist them – that only creates sorrow. Let reality be reality. Let things flow naturally forward in whatever way they like.” –Lao Tzu
- “I like living. I have sometimes been wildly, despairingly, acutely miserable, racked with sorrow, but through it all I still know quite certainly that just to be alive is a grand thing.” – Agatha Christie
- “Sorrow does not predicate annihilation, but development. There is compensation in all things around us. There must be in this experience. The real counterstroke to the pulse of mortal anguish is not the full stop of death, but the vibration of immortality.” – E. H. Chapin
Sorrow Quotes That Will Take Your Pain Away
Dealing with the sorrow of parting ways with the love of your life or the death of a family member can be really tough. It seems like a never-ending pain that will stay in your heart forever.
But instead of drowning in your sorrow, have faith that time will heal all your wounds. Everything will be okay tomorrow and life will be beautiful again.
- “Sorrow makes us all children again.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal.” – Thomas Moore
- “Sorrow is so easy to express and yet so hard to tell.” – Jonl Mitchell
- “Could my griefs speak, the tale would have no end.” – Thomas Otway
- “Don’t grieve. Anything you lose comes round in another form.” – Rumi
- “We should feel sorrow, but not sink under its oppression.” – Confucius
- “We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey.” – Kenji Miyazawa
- “Happiness and sorrow are twins, let them come and go like clouds.” – Yogaswami
- “People keep telling me that life goes on, but to me that’s the saddest part.” – Unknown
- “There is no greater sorrow than to recall happiness in times of misery.” – Dante Alighieri
- “Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow. It empties today of its strength.” – Corrie Ten Boom
- “Given the choice between the experience of pain and nothing, I would choose pain.” – William Faulkner
- “Even if loving meant leaving, or solitude, or sorrow, love was worth every penny of its price.” – Paulo Coelho
- “The closest bonds we will ever know are bonds of grief. The deepest community one of sorrow.”- Cormac McCarthy
- “Here bring your wounded hearts, here tell your anguish; Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal.” – Thomas Moore
- “When I think of the happiness that is in store for me, every sorrow, every pain becomes dear to me.” – Saint Francis of Assissi
- “Trouble comes to us all in this life: we set our hearts on things which it isn’t God’s will for us to have, and then we go sorrowing.” – George Eliot
- “Her sorrow, for me, was like the rain. Everyone loves the warmth of the sun but I was always in love with the idea that the universe, too, felt pain.” – Christopher Poindexter
- “Make the most of your regrets; never smother your sorrow, but tend and cherish it till it comes to have a separate and integral interest. To regret deeply is to live afresh.” – Henry David Thoreau
- “This book, conceived in sorrow, composed in grief, and constructed at the brink of despair, contains my mind’s best thoughts, and my soul’s triumph over the powers of darkness.” – Isaac Mayer Wise
Time will heal all wounds and pain of sorrow. A prolonged sorrowful state and sadness can often lead to depression and misery.
Even if you get a feeling of hopelessness, feeling empty, or feeling worthless, don’t let the feeling of sorrow consume you.
Talk to your friends and family and do things to combat and overcome the situation. Life is beautiful and with time you will surely overcome the pain and sadness you’re stuck in.
If you like to find comfort in these sorrowful quotations, then you can also read our posts on feeling sad quotes and keep your head up quotes to face all challenges and obstacles in life.
Feel free to share these uplifting quotes with friends and family on Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp, Twitter, Pinterest, and more to spread some wise words of wisdom.