90 Suffering Quotes About Pain, Sorrow & Life
Looking for quotes about suffering pain or loss in life? We have rounded up the best collection of suffering quotes, sayings, captions, status messages, (with images and pictures) to deal with and cope with all the stress and anxiety you are going through.
Suffering is serious pain, distress, or hardship (physical or mental) that someone feels in their body or their mind.
You may suffer due to the loss of a loved one, heartbreak, or some expectations not being fulfilled.
We all have our own stories about suffering, our own sorrows, pain, and grief and we all have suffered.
When things happen not as per our expectations then we suffer. Everyone deals with suffering in different ways. But accepting the reality and coming to terms with the situation will eventually help you heal.
Also See: Deep Philosophical Quotes
The suffering that comes from struggles might not be enjoyable, but it can help us transcend and discover new aspects of ourselves, who we are, and what we can achieve. It can help us grow as individuals and overcome the struggles we face.
Suffering teaches that endurance of pain or hardship without the display of feelings and without complaint.
Don’t forget to read our deep thinking quotes and stoic quotes and sayings about life.
Famous Suffering Quotes
- “All sufferings have a solution.” – Unknown
- “The root of suffering is attachment.” – Buddha
- “No victory without suffering.” – J. R. R. Tolkien
- “Fire tests gold, suffering tests brave men.” – Seneca
- “Embrace your suffering tenderly.” – Thich Nhat Hanh
- “We suffer more in imagination than in reality.” – Seneca
- “Nothing can survive without food, not even suffering.” – Thich Nhat Hanh
- “Suffering is nothing but experience enslaved to ignorance.” – 14th Dalai Lama
- “Suffering ends when we stop fearing things that we can’t avoid.” – Paulo Coelho
- “Suffering is a characteristic of life. You can’t take it personally.” – Jordan B. Peterson
- “To become a spectator of one’s own life is to escape the suffering of life.” – Oscar Wilde
- “There will always be suffering. But we must not suffer over the suffering.” – Alan Watts
- “Remember the pain. Remember the suffering. Remember the lesson.” – The Wanderer
- “The greatest suffering is attachment. The greatest joy is understanding.” – Maxime Lagacé
- “We must all suffer one of two things: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret.” – Jim Rohn
- “Suffering is like anything else. Live with it long enough, you learn to like the taste.” – Leigh Bardugo
- “The truth is, everyone is going to hurt you. You just got to find the ones worth suffering for.”- Bob Marley
- “If you suffer and make your loved ones suffer, there is nothing that can justify your desire.” – Thich Nhat Hanh
- “We need to strengthen our foundation of joy and happiness before focusing on our suffering.” – Thich Nhat Hanh
- “Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.” – Kahlil Gibran
Sad Suffering Quotes About Pain
A lot of time we suffer because of our overthinking and insecurities. We suffer more in our thoughts and fears about the future.
Also See: Pain Sad Quotes
Taking life as it comes and not fearing the future can help you deal with suffering. Our reaction to our pain and struggles is what determines our level of suffering.
- “Without suffering there is no learning.” – Unknown
- “The only way out of the labyrinth of suffering is to forgive.” – John Green
- “Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.” – Haruki Murakami
- “You suffer in the present because you hope for the future.” – James Pierce
- “You must let suffering speak, if you want to hear the truth.” – Cornell West
- “Your suffering is never caused by the person you are blaming.” – Byron Katie
- “He who fears he shall suffer, already suffers what he fears.” – Michel de Montaigne
- “The trick to healing from suffering, I think, is deciding that the pain was worth it.” – Aella
- “Suffering is given to you that you might open your eyes to the truth.” – Anthony de Mello
- “Until you have suffered much in your heart, you cannot learn humility.” – Elder Thaddeus
- “Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.” – Patti Smith
- “If pain doesn’t lead to humility, you have wasted your suffering.” – Katerina Stoykova Klemer
- “All suffering is caused by being in the wrong place. If you’re unhappy where you are, move.” – Timothy Leary
- “Our past may explain why we’re suffering but we must not use it as an excuse to stay in bondage.” – Joyce Meyer
- “Strong people alone know how to organize their suffering so as to bear only the most necessary pain.” – Emil Dorian
- “No matter how much you hate or how much you suffer, you can’t bring the dead back to life.” – Watsuki Nobuhiro
- “We can learn and change in a state of pain and suffering, or we can evolve in a state of joy and inspiration.” – Joe Dispenza
- “Happiness is not a reward – it is a consequence. Suffering is not a punishment – it is a result.” – Robert Green Ingersoll
- “We create our own unhappiness. The purpose of suffering is to help us understand we are the ones who cause it.” – Willie Nelson
- “I don’t believe there is pleasure in life. I believe there is only relief of pain. We have to suffer to be on top.” – Georges St-Pierre
- “People never remember happiness with the care that they lavish on preserving every detail of their suffering.” – Edward St. Aubyn
- “There are some wounds that one can heal only by deepening them and making them worse.” – Auguste de Villiers de L’Isle-Adam
- “It is painfully easy to define human beings. They are beings who, for no good reason at all, create their own unnecessary suffering.” – Natsume Sōseki
- “There are far too many silent sufferers. Not because they don’t yearn to reach out, but because they’ve tried and found no one who cares.” – Richelle E. Goodrich
- “It is that we are never so defenseless against suffering as when we love, never so helplessly unhappy as when we have lost our loved object or its love.” – Sigmund Freud
- “I began to understand that suffering and disappointments and melancholy are there not to vex us or cheapen us or deprive us of our dignity but to mature and transfigure us.” – Hermann Hesse
- “Without pain, there would be no suffering, without suffering we would never learn from our mistakes. To make it right, pain and suffering is the key to all windows, without it, there is no way of life.” – Angelina Jolie
- “Suffering is a gift – though, like all gifts, it depends on how we receive it. And that is why we need a pure heart — to see the hands of God, to feel the hand of God, to recognize the gift of God in our suffering.” – Mother Teresa
Suffering Quotes About Love And Life
Suffering is a part of life. We all suffer in life due to our attachments and bonds. A bad heart-break or losing a loved one to death can be very tragic and painful.
Human suffering can be mental or physical. Examples of physical suffering are pain, illness, disability, hunger, poverty, and death.
Examples of mental suffering are grief, hatred, frustration, heartbreak, guilt, humiliation, anxiety, loneliness, and self-pity.
- “Desire is suffering.” – Naval Ravikant
- “The wise don’t suffer their sufferings.” – Maxime Lagacé
- “Only 3 things can change our life: Dreams, Suffering and Love.” – Paulo Coelho
- “The greatest sources of our suffering are the lies we tell ourselves.” – Elvin Semrad
- “Suffering ceases to be suffering at the moment it finds a meaning.” – Viktor E. Frankl
- “To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
- “Sometimes it takes great suffering to pierce the soul and open it up to greatness.” – Jocelyn Murray
- “Suffering is how life tells you that you are resisting or misperceiving what is real and true.” – Adyashanti
- “Suffering is great because when you suffer, you’re forced to see the truth for what it is.” – Naval Ravikant
- “A man who does not understand the benefit of suffering does not live a clever and true life.” – Leo Tolstoy
- “If you are waiting for anything in order to live and love without holding back, then you suffer.” – David Deida
- “It is when suffering finds a voice and sets our nerves quivering that this pity comes troubling us.” – H.G. Wells
- “Perhaps watching someone you love suffer can teach you even more than suffering yourself can.” – Dodie Smith
- “The measure of a man is not how much he suffers in the test, but how he comes out at the end.” – Neal Shusterman
- “It may look as if the situation is creating the suffering, but ultimately this is not so – your resistance is.” – Eckhart Tolle
- “The law is simple. Every experience is repeated or suffered until you experience it properly and fully the first time.” – Ben Okri
- “If there was a God, he’d guide the winds, let them blow for me so that, with a tug of my string, I’d cut loose my pain, my longing.” – Khaled Hosseini
- “We often cause ourselves suffering by wanting only to live in a world of valleys, a world without struggle and difficulty, a world that is flat, plain, consistent.” – Bell Hooks
- “You can hold yourself back from the sufferings of the world, that is something you are free to do and it accords with your nature, but perhaps this very holding back is the one suffering you could avoid.” – Franz Kafka
- “Almost all our suffering is the product of our thoughts.” – Sam Harris
Inspirational Quotes To Overcome Suffering
These inspirational quotes on suffering by famous religious and spiritual leaders, philosophers, and personalities like Buddha, Marcus Aurelius, Thich Nhat Hanh, Dalai Lama, Helen Keller and others will give you feep insight into the reality of life.
- “You suffer because you expect.” – Maxime Lagacé
- “The reward of suffering is experience.” – Harry S Truman
- “Suffering is one of life’s great teachers.” – Bryant H. McGill
- “Suffering is when we resist the moment.” – Kamal Ravikant
- “Be grateful in spite of your suffering.” – Jordan B. Peterson
- “One of the primary causes of suffering is avoidance.” – Shane Parrish
- “We are healed of a suffering only by experiencing it to the full.” – Marcel Proust
- “God uses suffering as a whetstone, to make men sharp with.” – Henry Ward Beecher
- “Although the world is full of suffering, it is also full of the overcoming of it.” – Helen Keller
- “Man is sometimes extraordinarily, passionately, in love with suffering.” – Fyodor Dostoevsky
- “Sometimes one has suffered enough to have the right to never say: I am too happy.” – Alexandre Dumas
- “Learn to accept discomfort and uncertainty. It will eliminate most of your imagined suffering.” – Neil Strauss
- “Suffering is due to our disconnection with the inner soul. Meditation is establishing that connection.” – Amit Ray
- “Most of the gains in life come from suffering in the short term, so you can get paid in the long term.” – Naval Ravikant
- “Without suffering and doubts, the mind will come to rest on cliches and stay there, until the spirit dies as well.” – Robert Greene
- “Never stop just because you feel defeated. The journey to the other side is attainable only after great suffering.” – Santosh Kalwar
Quotes About Suffering, Pain & Sororow
- “We over do so we don’t have to over feel.” – Courtney Carver
- “Whoever fears to suffer, already suffers what he fears.” – Thibaut
- “The only antidote to mental suffering is physical pain.” – Karl Marx
- “If there was no suffering, life would not be challenging.” – Unknown
- “Suffering is your perceptions clashing with reality.” – Sven Schnieders
- “Suffering is part of our training program for becoming wise.” – Ram Dass
- “Sometimes the only way around suffering is to go straight through it.” – Unknown
- “Remember that even in the midst of suffering, God’s will is being done.” – Unknown
- “Our suffering is caused by holding on to how things might have been, should have been, could have been.” – Stephen Levine
- “People suffer because they are caught in their views. As soon as we release those views, we are free and we don’t suffer anymore.” – Thich Nhat Hanh
- “Buddha says there are two kinds of suffering: the kind that leads to more suffering and the kind that brings an end to suffering.” – Terry Tempest Williams
- “Handling our suffering is an art. If we know how to suffer, we suffer much less, and we’re no longer afraid of being overwhelmed by the suffering inside.” – Thich Nhat Hanh
10 Suffering Quotes From The Bible
- “And whoever does not carry their cross and follow me cannot be my disciple.” – Luke 14:27
- “Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.” – Galatians 6:2
- “In fact, everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted,” – 2 Timothy 3:12
- “The righteous person may have many troubles, but the LORD delivers him from them all;” – Psalms 34:19
- “Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance;” – Romans 5:3
- “I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us.” – Romans 8:18
- “For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all.” – 2 Corinthians 4:17
- “But even if you should suffer for what is right, you are blessed. “Do not fear their threats ; do not be frightened.” – 1 Peter 3:14
- “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” – John 16:33
- “Therefore, since Christ suffered in his body, arm yourselves also with the same attitude, because whoever suffers in the body is done with sin.” – 1 Peter 4:1
More Inspirational Quotes
These deep quotes about suffering will help you to deal with anxiety in the right way.
Let’s allow our wounds to transform us into more compassionate people, the kind of people who seek the seeds of gratitude in our tragedies.
Also, check out our post on overwhelmed quotes and stress quotes which will inspire you to have more mental clarity, and focus, and give up the habit of overthinking.
Feel free to share these uplifting quotes with friends and family on Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp, Twitter, Pinterest, and more to spread some wise words of wisdom to inspire you.