120 Depression Quotes That Will Relate To Sadness And Anxiety
Looking for quotes about depression? Here is a collection of some famous depression quotes, captions, status messages, (with images and pictures), that will make you realize that you are not alone in this battle and the one who feels this way, everyone does.
Depression is a common mental health condition that affects millions of people worldwide and can be incredibly debilitating and challenging to overcome.
Depression quotes are phrases and sayings meant to comfort and encourage individuals who are experiencing feelings of sadness, hopelessness, and despair.
These quotes aim to provide hope and inspiration to those who are struggling with depression, reminding them that they are not alone and that there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
These quotes are not to make you feel more depressed, but to make you realize that pain and hardships are the reality of life and we all need to face them and come out strong. #depressionquotes
Related: Depressing Love Quotes
Depression is a state of mind where a person feels extremely isolated. Most people don’t speak and share about their battle with depression, their feeling of anxiety, or the sadness that fills them, and their life. They get crushed under this lonely emotional state.
Also See: Feeling Empty Quotes
It’s important to share your feelings and fears with your loved ones and seek professional consultancy if you think you can’t get on a positive note.
Some popular depression quotes include phrases like “the dark night of the soul,” “this too shall pass,” and “hope is the thing with feathers.”
These quotes offer a source of encouragement and support, reminding individuals that they have the strength and resilience to overcome their struggles.
Don’t forget to check out our collection of feeling-down quotes and sad quotes that you can relate to.
Deep Depression Quotes
- “I’ll be okay just not today, and probably not tomorrow.”
- “You will never understand the hell I feel inside my head.”
- “Deep inside where nothing is fine I have lost my mind.”
- “There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.” – John Green
- “I really want to talk to someone about my thoughts and feelings but I can’t.”
- “There are times when explanations, no matter how reasonable, just don’t seem to help.”
- “When you’re depressed you don’t control your thoughts, your thoughts control you. I wish people understood that.”
- “Depression is being colorblind and constantly told how colorful the world is.” – Atticus, Love Her Wild
- “What people don’t understand is that depression isn’t about the outside; it’s about the inside.”
- “Listen closely to the songs I play because the lyrics speak the words I fail to say.” – Unknown
- “They tell me I’m not trying but how would they know.”
- “Depression is a prison where you are both the suffering prisoner and the cruel jailer.” – Dorothy Rowe
- “Depression isn’t just being a bit sad. It’s feeling nothin. It’s not wanting to be alive anymore.” – J.K. Rowling
- “It’s so difficult to describe depression to someone who’s never been there, because it’s not sadness.” J.K Rowling
- When people don’t know exactly what depression is, they can be judgmental.” – Marion Cotillard
- “Depression, panic attacks, and anxiety are not signs of being weak. They are signs that a person has been strong for too long.”
- “Maybe we all have darkness inside of us and some of us are better at dealing with it than others.” ― Jasmine Warga, My Heart and Other Black Holes
- “Feelings seem vague, everything seems dreary. You feel like doing nothing, and somehow that feeling is the only thing you seem to understand.”
- “You may look happy to others. You may laugh at jokes, dance with others, sing along to songs, but inside, you still feel sad. Internally, you still feel lifeless.”
- “During your battle with depression, it is important to remember that someday, sometime you will feel better. Someday you would feel awake and alive instead of wanting to feel awake and alive.”
- “Depression engulfs all your thoughts. The world seems like a dark place, with no hope, no light. Other things which seemed interesting once now seem dull and hopeless.”
- “Depression isn’t a war you win. It’s a battle you fight every day. You never stop, never get to rest. It’s one bloody fray after another.” ― Shaun David Hutchinson
- “I don’t think people realize how much strength it takes to pull your own self out of a dark place mentally. So if you’ve done that today or any day I’m proud of you.”
- “The feeling when someone asks you if you’re okay and just want to cry every little thing in your life because everything you but everything you say is just: I’m fine.”
- “It is very hard to explain to people who have never known serious depression or anxiety the sheer continuous intensity of it. There is no off switch.” – Matt Haig
- “Give yourself another day, another chance. You will find your courage eventually. Don’t give up on yourself just yet.”
- “A big part of depression is feeling really lonely, even if you’re in a room full of a million people.” — Lilly Singh
- “I found that with depression, one of the most important things you could realize is that you’re not alone.” — Dwayne Johnson
- “People who have never dealt with depression think it’s just being sad or being in a bad mood. That’s not what depression is for me; it’s falling into a state of grayness and numbness.” — Dan Reynolds
- “Try to understand the blackness, lethargy, hopelessness, and loneliness they’re going through. Be there for them when they come through the other side. It’s hard to be a friend to someone who’s depressed, but it is one of the kindest, noblest, and best things you will ever do.” ― Stephen Fry
- “Depression, for me, has been a couple of different things – but the first time I felt it, I felt helpless, hopeless, and things I had never felt before. I lost myself and my will to live.” — Ginger Zee
- “I am bent, but not broken. I am scarred, but not disfigured. I am sad, but not hopeless. I am tired, but not powerless. I am angry, but not bitter. I am depressed, but not giving up.” — Anonymous
Also See: Mentally Tired Quotes
Short Depression Quotes and Sayings
Depression quotes come from a variety of sources, including well-known authors, poets, and philosophers, as well as everyday people who have experienced depression and have found comfort and solace in these words.
- I’m slowly giving up.
- I hide all my scars with an “I’m fine”.
- “My head is a very dark place.”
- “They call it depression, I call it war.”
- “I feel lost inside of myself.”
- “I feel like such a disappointment.”
- “I am not living. I am surviving.”
- “It hurts but it’s ok… I’m used to it.”
- “Saying “I’m tired” when you’re actually sad.”
- “I feel like I bother people just by being alive”
- “I’m often silent when I’m screaming inside”
- It’s not just an average case of “the blues.”
- “What if I feel this way for the rest of my life?”
- “My silence is just another word for my pain.”
- “Depression is feeling dead but not being able to die.”
- “Depression is like a war. You either win or die trying.”
- “I’m exhausted from trying to be stronger than I feel.”
- “The worst kind of sad is not being able to explain why.”
- “And then suddenly I became sad for no reason at all”
- “Sometimes, you gotta pretend everything is okay”
- “If you could read my mind, You’d be in TEARS.”
- “She was drowning, but nobody saw her struggle.”
- “And then it all started to fall apart. Again…”
- “Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.”
- “I’m exhausted from trying to be stronger than I feel.”
- “To be depressed is to be lonely; to have a friend is to be happy.”
- “Depression is the inability to construct a future.” -Rollo May
- “To get rid of depression, I swim with dolphins.” – Patti Stanger
- “Sleep doesn’t help, if it’s your soul that’s tired.”
- “Often the people with the strongest hearts carry the heaviest ones.”
- “Have you ever been so sad that it physically hurts inside.”
“Depressions may bring people closer to family but so do funerals.”
- “The worst kind of pain is when you’re smiling just to stop the tears for falling.”
- “Numbing the pain for a while will make it worse when you finally feel it.”
- “Depression is living in a body that fights to survive, with a mind that tries to die.”
- “Everyone thinks I’ve gotten better. I haven’t. I’ve just gotten better at hiding it.”
- They ask, “How are you doing?” But what they mean is, “Are you over it yet?”
- “I’m tired of trying, sick of crying, I know I’ve been smiling, but inside I’m dying.”
- “I want to be happy but something inside me screams that I do not deserve it.”
- “It’s not always the tears that measure the pain. Sometimes it’s the smile we fake.”
- “It’s a bit like walking down a long, dark corridor, never knowing when the light will go on.”
- “Concern should drive us into action and not into a depression. No man is free who cannot control himself.” – Pythagoras
- “At times, I feel overwhelmed and my depression leads me into darkness.” – Dorothy Hamill
- “Nothing is more depressing than despite the fact of having it all but still feeling empty.”
- “I’m hurt, and I’m heartbroken, and I’m sad, and I’m depressed, and I have been crying, but I don’t want to let it ruin my life.”
- “I used to be good friends with my depression, saying oh I’m so depressed, or life is terrible.” – Tony Curtis
- “It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose yours.” – Harry S Truman
- “I have depression. But I prefer to say, ‘I battle’ depression instead of ‘I suffer’ with it. Because depression hits, but I hit back. Battle on.” — Anonymous
Sad Depression Quotes about Life and Love
These relatable depression will not make you feel alone. If you are unable to find the words to express yourself then these sayings will help you express you feelings.
Don’t forget to check out our collection of grief quotes and feeling down quotes that you can relate to.
- “I’m fine, I’m just tired”. My depression is setting in but I don’t want to bother you with it.”
- “You sometimes think you want to disappear, but all you really want is to be found.”
- “That feeling when you’re not necessarily sad, but you just feel really empty.”
- “Sometimes when I say “I’m okay”, I want someone to look me in the eyes, and say, “I know you’re not.”
- “Depression isn’t always at 3 am. Sometimes it happens at 3 pm, while you’re with friends and you’re halfway through a laugh.”
- “My life is just one constant battle between wanting to be alone, but not wanting to be lonely.”
- “Behind my smile is a hurting heart, behind my laugh I’m falling apart. Look closely at me and you will see, the girl I am, it isn’t me.”
- “I don’t think people understand how stressful it is to explain what’s going on in your head when you don’t even understand it yourself”.
- “Alone had always felt like an actual place to me, as if it weren’t a state of being, but rather a room, where I could retreat to BE Who I Really Was.””Sometimes you feel sad without any reason. And you can’t help it. And you can’t deal with it.
- “The only thing more exhausting than being depressed is pretending that you’re not.”
- “What is depression like? It’s like drowning, except everyone around you is breathing.”
- “Perhaps depression is caused by asking oneself too many unanswerable questions.” -Miriam Toews
- “My lips say, ‘Fine, thanks,‘ but my eyes tell a different story, my heart sings a different tune, and my soul just weeps.”
- “Depression is feeling like you’ve lost something but having no clue when or where you last had it. Then one day you realize what you lost is yourself.”
- “The worst feeling isn’t being lonely, but being forgotten by someone you can’t forget.”
- “Sometimes I get so sad. So sad that I completely shut down. I stare blankly at the wall and it doesn’t matter what you say to me. Because in that moment. I don’t exist.”
- I really want to be happy, but there’s is something inside me. That screams, “You don’t deserve it.”
- “When you suffer from depression, ‘I’m tired‘ means a permanent state of exhaustion that sleep doesn’t fix. Sleep just isn’t sleep anymore—it’s escape.”
- “Pain is always emotional. Fear and depression keep constant company with chronic hurting.” – Siri Hustvedt
- “Perhaps depression is caused by asking oneself too many unanswerable questions.” – Miriam Toews
- “And I knew it was bad when I woke up in the mornings and the only thing I looked forward to was going back to bed.”
- “Having anxiety and depression is like being scared and tired at the same time. It’s the fear of failure, coupled with no urge to be productive. It’s wanting friends but hating socializing. It’s wanting to be alone but not wanting to be lonely. It’s feeling everything at once, yet being paralyzingly numb.”
20 Most Famous Quotes About Being Depressed
- “Depression, suffering and anger are all part of being human.” – Janet Fitch
- You don’t have to live a lie. Living a lie will mess you up. It will send you into depression. It will warp your values.” – Gilbert Baker
- “Mental illness is so much more complicated than any pill that any mortal could invent.” – Elizabeth Wintzel
- “All depression has its roots in self-pity, and all self-pity is rooted in people taking themselves too seriously.” ― Tom Robbins
- “Every man has his secret sorrows which the world knows not; and often times we call a man cold when he is only sad.” ― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- “There are wounds that never show on the body that are deeper and more hurtful than anything that bleeds.” ― Laurell K. Hamilton, Mistral’s Kiss
- “Mental illness lives all around us every day. I’ve seen it in other family members, I’ve seen it in friends, and I’ve dealt with it myself with my own postpartum depression.” – Rachel Hollis
- “The sun stopped shining for me is all. The whole story is: I am sad. I am sad all the time and the sadness is so heavy that I can’t get away from it. Not ever.” ― Nina LaCour, Hold Still
- “When you’re surrounded by all these people, it can be lonelier than when you’re by yourself. You can be in a huge crowd, but if you don’t feel like you can trust anyone or talk to anybody, you feel like you’re really alone.” ― Fiona Apple
- “Depression on my left, loneliness on my right. They don’t need to show me their badges. I know these guys very well.” – Elizabeth Gilber
- “It’s hard to be a friend to someone who’s depressed, but it is one of the kindest, noblest, and best things you will ever do.” – Stephen Fry
- “I saw the world in black and white instead of the vibrant colors and shades I knew existed.” ― Katie McGarry, Pushing the Limits
- “I’ll never forget how the depression and loneliness felt good and bad at the same time. Still does.”― Henry Rollins, The Portable Henry Rollins
- “You say you’re ‘depressed’ – all I see is resilience. You are allowed to feel messed up and inside out. It doesn’t mean you’re defective – it just means you’re human.” ― David Mitchell
- “The five stages – denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance – are a part of the framework that makes up our learning to live with the one we lost. They are tools to help us frame and identify what we may be feeling. But they are not stops on some linear timeline in grief.” – Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
- “Do not brood over your past mistakes and failures as this will only fill your mind with grief, regret and depression. Do not repeat them in the future.” – Swami Sivananda
- “Depression is the most unpleasant thing I have ever experienced. . . . It is that absence of being able to envisage that you will ever be cheerful again. The absence of hope. That very deadened feeling, which is so very different from feeling sad. Sad hurts but it’s a healthy feeling. It is a necessary thing to feel. Depression is very different.” ― J.K. Rowling
- “Mental pain is less dramatic than physical pain, but it is more common and also more hard to bear. The frequent attempt to conceal mental pain increases the burden: it is easier to say “My tooth is aching” than to say “My heart is broken.” ― C.S. Lewis.
- People think depression is sadness. People think depression is crying. People think depression is dressing in black. But people are wrong. Depression is a constant feeling of being numb. Being numb to emotions, being numb to life. You wake up in the morning just to go to bed again.”
- “When people don’t know exactly what depression is, they can be judgmental.” – Marion Cotillard
- “I’ve got a bad case of the 3:00 am guilts – you know, when you lie in bed awake and replay all those things you didn’t do right? Because, as we all know, nothing solves insomnia like a nice warm glass of regret, depression and self-loathing.” ― D.D. Barant
- “I just want to sleep. A coma would be nice. Or amnesia. Anything, just to get rid of this, these thoughts, whispers in my mind. Did he rape my head, too?” ― Laurie Halse Anderson
- That’s the thing about depression: A human being can survive almost anything, as long as she sees the end in sight. But depression is so insidious, and it compounds daily, that it’s impossible to ever see the end. ― Elizabeth Wurtzel
- There is no point treating a depressed person as though she were just feeling sad, saying, ‘There now, hang on, you’ll get over it.’ Sadness is more or less like a head cold- with patience, it passes. Depression is like cancer. ― Barbara Kingsolver
- “If you don’t think your anxiety, depression, sadness, and stress impact your physical health, think again. All of these emotions trigger chemical reactions in your body, which can lead to inflammation and a weakened immune system. Learn how to cope, sweet friend. There will always be dark days.” – Kris Carr
- “Sometimes I just think depression’s one way of coping with the world. Like, some people get drunk, some people do drugs, some people get depressed. Because there’s so much stuff out there that you have to do something to deal with it.” ― Ned Vizzini, It’s Kind of a Funny Story
- “Depression is such a cruel punishment. There are no fevers, no rashes, no blood tests to send people scurrying in concern, just the slow erosion of self, as insidious as cancer. And like cancer, it is essentially a solitary experience; a room in hell with only your name on the door”
- “Depression cannot be explained, it’s impossible, even if two people with depression come together to talk about it. No one knows how to explain it properly but, if you get it you’ll know what it is straight away, it changes your whole perspective on life & in a way in the long run depression can sometimes be a good thing.”
- “People think depression is sadness. People think depression is crying. People think depression is dressing in black. But people are wrong. Depression is the constant feeling of being numb. Being numb to emotions, being numb to lie. You wake up in the morning just to go back to bed again. Days aren’t really days; they are just annoying obstacles that need to be faced. And how do you face them? Through medication, through drinking, through smoking, through drugs, through cutting. When you’re depressed, you grasp on to anything that can get through the day. That’s what depression is, not sadness or tears, it’s the overwhelming sense of numbness and the desire for anything that can help you make it from one day to the next.”
More Sad Quotes
I Can’t Sleep Quotes and Sayings
Understanding the nature of depression and the mental state of the person going through it is very important. It’s a phase and stage of life where one feels so lonely that it’s very difficult to suffer the pain alone.
Whether you are personally struggling with depression or are looking for a way to support a loved one who is, depression quotes can provide comfort and encouragement during a difficult time.
They offer a message of hope, reminding people that there is always a way out of the darkness and that things will get better.
There are a lot of reasons and symptoms that can be identified. Empathize and share the pain to make someone’s life better.
However, we all need to understand that depression is not the end of life. Talking your heart out with friends and family and seeking treatments that help in dealing and coping with this dark and deep pain you suffer.
Don’t forget to check out feeling like a burden and when things fall apart quotes if you are heartbroken.
If you think you can relate to these depression quotes feel free to spread your feelings and share them with friends and family on Pinterest, Facebook, Tumblr, Instagram, Twitter, and more.
If we have missed some quotes, share them with us in the comment section below and we shall be happy to add them to the list.