Looking for quotes about mental health and awareness? We have rounded up the best collection of mental health awareness quotes, mental health quotes, and mental health day quotes, sayings, slogans, one-liners, and captions (with images and pictures) to uplift your mood.
What Is Mental Health?
Mental health includes our emotional, psychological, and social well-being. It affects how we think, feel, and act. Mental health can affect daily living, relationships, and physical health.
Maintaining your mental health is vital to living a happy, healthy life. But unfortunately, millions of people struggle with mental illnesses that leave them feeling hopeless, helpless, and alone.
Negative mental health has symptoms like feeling low, sad, having low concentration, worrying, feeling worthless, and more negative feelings.
In the United States, the National Alliance on Mental Illness estimates that almost 1 in 5 adults experience mental health problems each year. Social and financial circumstances, biological factors, loneliness, and lifestyle choices can all shape a person’s mental health.
Also See: Mentally Tired Quotes
These quotes provide profound insights into the complexities of mental health, offering comfort, encouragement, and awareness. In this mental health quotes compilation, we delve into the importance of self-care, resilience, and the power of seeking help when needed.
If you ever find your friends or family going into their shells and having such symptoms, treat every call as a call for help. Seeking help is a sign of strength — not a weakness. And it is important to remember that treatment is effective.
Hope these words of encouragement for mental health will let you know that you are not alone in this battle. A lot of us are battling this in some form or the other.
But with a positive attitude, counseling, and talking your heart out, you can get over this sad and dark space in your head.
Top 10 Mental Health Quotes
- “The only journey is the journey within.” ― Rainer Maria Rilke
- “Mental health is not a destination, it’s a journey.” ― Unknown
- “No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.” ― Buddha
- “Taking care of your mental health is an act of self-love.”―Unknown
- “Your mental health is just as important as your physical health.”―Unknown
- “Self-care is not selfish, it’s necessary for good mental health.”―Unknown
- “This feeling will pass. The fear is real but the danger is not.”― Cammie McGovern
- “Self-esteem is not a luxury; it is a profound spiritual need.”― Nathaniel Branden
- “Mental illness is nothing to be ashamed of, but stigma and bias shame us all.”― Bill Clinton
- “I’m struggling just to get through the days. I think a lot of people are.” — Justin Bieber
Positive Mental Health Quotes to Comfort You
- “The best way out is always through.” – Robert Frost
- “Taking care of our mental health is the smart thing to do.”– Unknown
- “Your now is not your forever.” – John Green, Turtles All the Way Down
- “Out of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.” – Mark Twain
- ”Healing takes time, and asking for help is a courageous step.” – Mariska Hargitay
- “Normality is a paved road: It’s comfortable to walk, but no flowers grow.” – Vincent van Gogh
- “Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.” – Khalil Gibran
- “Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes, including you.” — Anne Lamott
- “I can’t change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.” – Jimmy Dean
- “When we deny our stories, they define us. When we own our stories, we get to write a brave new ending.” – Brené Brown
- “Nobody can save you but yourself, and you’re worth saving. It’s a war not easily won, but if anything is worth winning then this is it.”— Charles Bukowski
Inspiring Quotes About Mental Health
- “Don’t be so hard on yourself.” — Unknown
- “Don’t believe everything you think.” — Unknown
- ”I know what it’s like to be afraid of your own mind.” — Spencer Reid
- “If you are broken, you do not have to stay broken.” — Selena Gomez
- “It is not the bruises on the body that hurt. It is the wounds of the heart and the scars on the mind.” — Aisha Mirza
- “Mental health is just as important as… physical health and deserves the same quality of support.” — Kate Middleton
- . “Mental health affects every aspect of your life. It’s not just this neat little issue you can put into a box.” — Shannon Purser
- “Mental issues are serious, people need to stop being called attention-seeking when it’s really a cry for help.” – Unknown
- “One small crack does not mean that you are broken, it means that you were put to the test and you didn’t fall apart.” — Linda Poindexter
- “Don’t give in to stigma. A diagnosis does not determine who you are or what you can do!” – Unknown
Mental Health Sayings
- “Your illness is not your identity. Your chemistry is not your character.” — Pastor Rick Warren
- “There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.”― John Green
- “Mental health… is not a destination but a process. It’s about how you drive, not where you’re going.” — Noam Shpancer
- “You are not your illness. You have an individual story to tell. You have a name, a history, a personality. Staying yourself is part of the battle.” — Julian Seifter
- “You don’t have to control your thoughts. You just have to stop letting them control you.” — Dan Millman
- “Mental health is often missing from public health debates even though it’s critical to wellbeing.” – Diane Abbott
- “Mental health problems don’t define who you are. They are something you experience. You walk in the rain and you feel the rain, but you are not the rain.” — Matt Haig
- “What does your anxiety do? It does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow, but it empties today of its strength.” ― Raymond L. Cramer
- “Sometimes, mental illness is terrifying because you feel like you’ve lost control of your mind and nothing makes sense. It’s like watching yourself on autopilot and having little to no control.”― Unknown
- “It is okay to have depression, it is okay to have anxiety and it is okay to have an adjustment disorder. We need to improve the conversation. We all have mental health in the same way we all have physical health.” — Prince Harry
Quotes On Mental Health
Join us in exploring these meaningful quotes as we strive to promote a greater understanding of mental health, reduce stigma, and foster a supportive and empathetic community.
- “To love oneself is the beginning of a lifelong romance.” — Oscar Wilde
- “Mental health issues do not make you any less of a person.” — Unknown
- “You are capable of overcoming your mental health challenges.” — Unknown
- “I am not afraid of storms for I am learning how to sail my ship.”— Amy March
- “You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it.” ― Margaret Thatcher
- “Self-esteem is as important to our well-being as legs are to a table. It is essential for physical and mental health and for happiness.” – Louise Hart
- “I have never seen battles quite as terrifyingly beautiful as the ones I fight when my mind splinters and races, to swallow me into my own madness, again.” ― Nicole Lyons, Hush
- “Never underestimate the pain of a person, because in all honesty, everyone is struggling. Just some people are better at hiding it than others.” — Unknown
- “You don’t have to be positive all the time. It’s perfectly okay to feel sad, angry, annoyed, frustrated, scared and anxious. Having feelings doesn’t make you a negative person. It makes you human.” — Lori Deschene
- “Some of the most comforting words in the universe are ‘me too.’ That moment when you find out that your struggle is also someone else’s struggle, that you’re not alone, and that others have been down the same road.”— Unknown
Strength Mental Health Quotes
Some words of encouragement can be a great chance for all of you seeking professional help to gain your balance of mind and deal with mental illness. Hope this strikes the right cord and helps you lead a happy and positive life.
- “There is no health without mental health.” — David Satcher
- “Be patient and tough; someday this pain will be useful to you.” — Ovid
- “Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise again.” — Victor Hugo
- “Just because you don’t understand it doesn’t mean it isn’t so.” – Lemony Snicket
- “Nothing in this world can torment you as much as your own thoughts.”— Unknown
- “The bravest thing I ever did was continuing my life when I wanted to die.”― Juliette Lewis
- “I’ve run my whole life – for more than exercise, for mental health.” – Wendelin Van Draanen
- “What mental health needs are more sunlight, more candor, and more unashamed conversation.” – Glenn Close
- “Mental health is an important topic and should be discussed more frequently. It’s not “attention seeking.”― Brien Blatt
- “My dark days made me strong. Or maybe I already was strong, and they made me prove it.” — Emery Lord
- “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times if one only remembers to turn on the light.” — Albus Dumbledore
- “Hope, hope, hope. It has to be there. Rob the person of hope, and there won’t be any recovery.” – Dan Fisher
- “You can’t control everything. Sometimes you just need to relax and have faith that things will work out. Let go a little and just let life happen.” ― Kody Keplinger
Mental Health Awareness Quotes
- “Self-care is how you take your power back” — Lalah Delia
- “Not all battles are visible and neither are the victories.” ― Brittany Burgunder
- “Your mental well being should be one of the most important cares in your life.” ― Germany Kent
- “What mental health needs is more sunlight, more candor, and more unashamed conversation.” — Glenn Close
- “Maybe we all have darkness inside of us and some of us are better at dealing with it than others.” ― Jasmine Warga
- “Recovery is not an overnight process. It is a lifelong journey that takes place one day, one step at a time.”— Unknown
- “There were days I wanted to give up, but hope every day would push me to the next day. I kept saying, this is going to pass. So there is hope.” — Unknown
- “Too many Americans who struggle with mental health illnesses are suffering in silence rather than seeking help..” — Barack Obama
- “Emotional pain is not something that should be hidden away and never spoken about. There is truth in your pain, there is growth in your pain, but only if it’s first brought out into the open.” — Steven Aitchison
- Sometimes you climb out of bed in the morning and you think, I’m not going to make it, but you laugh inside — remembering all the times you’ve felt that way.” — Charles Bukowski
- “Take your time healing, as long as you want. Nobody else knows what you’ve been through. How could they know how long it will take to heal you?” — Abertoli
Positive Mental Health Quotes
Mental health issues can also impact the body. Stress, depression, and anxiety may cause fatigue, insomnia, and body pain. If you think you have physical symptoms due to mental health, it could be time to talk with a therapist. Going for walks, talking with your loved ones, and doing things you love will gradually make you feel better about things.
- “Mentally fit is the new sexy.” ― Kierra C.T. Banks
- “If you’re going through hell, keep going.” — Winston Churchill
- “There is a crack in everything, that’s how the light gets in” ― Leonard Cohen
- “It is during our darkest moments that we must focus to see the light.” — Aristotle
- “Your illness does not define you. Your strength and courage does.” – Unknown
- Deep breathing is our nervous system’s love language.” — Dr. Lauren Fogel Mersy
- “Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves” ― Henry David Thoreau
- “When your mental health becomes impacted by social media then it is time for a detox.” ― Germany Kent
- “Your present circumstances don’t determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start.” — Nido Qubein
- “What I love about therapy is that they’ll tell you what your blind spots are. Although that’s uncomfortable and painful, it gives you something to work with.” — Pink
- “Promise me you’ll always remember: you’re braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.” — Christopher Robin from Winnie the Pooh
- “I am bent, but not broken. I am scarred, but not disfigured. I am sad, but not hopeless. I am tired, but not powerless. I am angry, but not bitter. I am depressed, but not giving up.” — Unknown
- “I understand your pain. Trust me, I do. I’ve seen people go from the darkest moments in their lives to living a happy, fulfilling life. You can do it too. I believe in you. You are not a burden. You will never be a burden.” — Sophie Turner
- “You can live well with a mental health condition, as long as you open up to somebody about it, because it’s really important you share your experience with people so that you can get the help that you need.” — Demi Lovato
Mental Health Awareness Month Quotes
Every year, the World Health Organization (WHO) marks October 10 as World Mental Health Day.
The day marks the importance of raising awareness about mental health issues across the world to mobilize efforts in support of poor mental health. The green ribbon is the international symbol for mental health awareness.
Mental Health Awareness Month has taken place yearly during the month of May since 1949. The social stigma that surrounds mental health needs to be changed and a day like today is the perfect time to contribute to doing that.
If you’re looking to observe Mental Health Day today, then a good place to start is by sharing positive messages and quotes on social media to educate people about the issue.
- “I support mental health awareness month!”— Unknown
- “Support mental health and end stigma.”— Unknown
- “Don’t let your struggle become your identity.”— Unknown
- “To think too much is a disease.” ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky
- “Mental illness is not a failure. Support Mental Health Awareness Day.”— Unknown
- “Mental illness is nothing to be ashamed of but stigma and bias shame us all”.— Unknown
- “My personality disorder doesn’t define who I am, it explains it.” — Unknown
- “Your mental health is a priority. Your happiness is an essential. Your self-care is a necessity.” – Healthy Place
- “Healing doesn’t mean the damage never existed. It means the damage no longer controls your life.” ― Akshay Dubey
- “Your mental health is everything — prioritize it. Make the time like your life depends on it, because it does.” — Mel Robbins
- “The strongest people are those who win battles we know nothing about.” — Samantha Ruth Prabhu
- “Physical illness is very much visible but mental illness often isn’t and therefore, we must give it the attention it needs. Happy Mental Health Day.”
- “Mental health needs a great deal of attention. It’s the final taboo and it needs to be faced and dealt with.” — Adam Ant
Motivational Quotes on Mental Health and Wellness
- ”Strong people don’t put others down. They lift them up.”— Michael P. Watson
- “Your mind will always believe everything you tell it. Feed it faith. Feed it truth. Feed it with love.” — Unknown
- “It is not the the bruises on the body that hurt. It is the wounds of the heart and the scars on the mind.”― Aisha Mirza
- “You can’t change your situation, the only thing you can change is how you choose to deal with it.”
- “Anyone who has grown mentally, physically, or spiritually knows that growth is not found in comfort.”― Abraham Schneersohn
- “Sometimes in life, you just need a hug. No words, no advice, just a hug to make you feel better.”— Unknown
- “It doesn’t have to take over your life, it doesn’t have to define you as a person, it’s just important that you ask for help. It’s not a sign of weakness.” — Demi Lovato
- “Health does not always come from medicine. Most of the time. It comes from peace of mind, peace in the heart, peace in the soul. It comes from laughter and love.”— Unknown
- “It’s up to you today to start making healthy choices. Not choices that are just healthy for your body, but healthy for your mind.”― Steve Maraboli
- “People don’t feel comfortable getting mental health care, necessarily, because they’re worried that their friends are going to think they’re unstable or they’re crazy.” — Unknown
Short Mental Health Quotes to Uplift Your Mood
- “One thing at a time.”— Unknown
- “Your feelings are valid.”— Unknown
- “Not all wounds are visible.”— Unknown
- “Give yourself time to heal.”— Unknown
- “Everything that you are is enough.”— Unknown
- “Don’t believe everything you think.”— Unknown
- “Stay strong, your story isn’t over yet.”— Unknown
- “Don’t let your struggle become your identity.”— Unknown
- “You may have to fight a battle more than once.”— Unknown
- “I hide all my Scars with an ‘I’m fine.’” — Unknown
Mental Health Quotes By Famous People
We have gathered some mental health quotes from famous personalities, psychologists, authors, and celebrities to show you that you are not alone. These motivational quotes also have some great messages that may help as you take charge of your mental well-being.
- “I found that with depression, one of the most important things you can realize is that you’re not alone. You’re not the first to go through it, you’re not gonna be the last to go through it.” — Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson
- “I finally realized that owning up to your vulnerabilities is a form of strength. And making the choice to go to therapy is a form of strength.” — Lizzo
- “I can slip in and out of depression quite easily. I had really bad postpartum depression after I had my son. It frightened me and I didn’t talk to anyone about it. I was very reluctant…Four of my friends felt the same way I did, and everyone was too embarrassed to talk about it.” — Adele
- “A child’s mental health is just as important as their physical health and deserves the same quality of support.” – Kate Middleton
- “I was so ashamed of how I felt because I had such a privileged upbringing. I’m very lucky. But I had depression. I had moments where I didn’t want to carry on living. But then the guilt of feeling that way and not being able to tell anyone because I shouldn’t feel that way just left me feeling blame and guilt.” — Cara Delevigne
- “You are the one thing in this world, above all other things, that you must never give up on. When I was in middle school, I was struggling with severe anxiety and depression and the help and support I received from my family and a therapist saved my life. Asking for help is the first step. You are more precious to this world than you’ll ever know.” — Lili Reinhart
- “I just was in a funk. Mostly, I felt like I was not a good mom. I read several articles that said postpartum emotions can last up to 3 years if not dealt with. And I like communication best. Talking things through with my sisters, my friends, let me know that my feelings are totally normal. It’s totally normal to feel like I’m not doing enough for my baby.” — Serena Williams
- “Sadly, too often, the stigma around mental health prevents people who need help from seeking it. But that simply doesn’t make any sense. Whether an illness affects your heart, your arm or your brain, it’s still an illness, and there shouldn’t be any distinction…we should make it clear that getting help isn’t a sign of weakness — it’s a sign of strength — and we should ensure that people can get the treatment they need.” — Michelle Obama
- “You are the one thing in this world, above all other things, that you must never give up on. When I was in middle school, I was struggling with severe anxiety and depression and the help and support I received from my family and a therapist saved my life. Asking for help is the first step. You are more precious to this world than you’ll ever know.” — Lili Rhinehart
- “For me, depression is not sadness. It’s not having a bad day and needing a hug. It gave me a complete and utter sense of isolation and loneliness. It’s debilitation was all-consuming, and it shut down my mental circuit board. I felt worthless, like I had nothing to offer, like I was a failure. Now, after seeking help, I can see that those thoughts, of course, couldn’t have been more wrong…There’s nothing weak about struggling with mental illness.” — Kristen Bell
LAST 8 YEARS’ THEMES OF WORLD MENTAL HEALTH DAY
2016: Psychological First Aid
2017: Mental health in the workplace
2018: Young people and mental health in a changing world
2019: Mental Health Promotion and Suicide Prevention
2020: Move for mental health: Increased investment in mental health
2021: Mental Health In An Unequal World
2022: Make Mental Health & Well-Being for All a Global Priority
2023: Mental health is a universal human right
Mental Health For Children, Pre-Teens, And Teenagers
Good and positive mental health is important for healthy teenage development, strong relationships, and resilience.
Early negative experiences in homes, schools, or digital spaces, such as exposure to violence, peer pressure, the mental illness of a parent or other caregiver, bullying, and poverty, increase the risk of mental illness amongst kids and teens.
Being patient with your kids and supporting them with a listening ear and shoulder will help you develop a stronger bond with your child. Your love and behavior have a direct and positive influence on your child’s mental health. It can even reduce the chances of your child experiencing mental health problems.
By volunteering for several mental health campaigns and helping in raising awareness in the world we all can bring a positive change. All in all this day is an opportunity for us all to come forward and address the grave issue that has been neglected for decades.
In a bad mental state, one tends to lose self-confidence and starts doubting his/her identity. Try to calm your mind when you are anxious, pamper yourself with some “me time”, and most importantly surround yourself with good people.
Ask for help if you need it. Phone a friend, or see a therapist for some assistance. Always try to avoid any kind of addiction. Addiction to drugs, and alcohol will only make the situation worse.
Feel free to share with friends and family on Facebook, Tumblr, Twitter, Instagram, WhatsApp and more to spread some positive vibes and awareness about the issue.