Looking for some famous quotes from The Fault In Our Stars? We have rounded up the best collection of The Fault In Our Stars quotes, sayings, messages, lines, and status, (with images and pictures) that will inspire you to live a happy and fulfilling life despite the flaws in your destiny.
The Fault in Our Stars is a famous young-adult novel by author John Green published in 2012 that was adapted into a movie directed by Josh Boone in 2014.
Also See: It’s A Wonderful Life Quotes
The title of the novel is inspired by Shakespeare’s play Julius Caesar where Cassius says “The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, / But in ourselves, that we are underlings.”
The story is about two cancer-stricken teenagers Hazel and Gus, who fall in love with each other.
Hazel is a 16-year-old girl who is forced by her parents to attend a support group where she meets Augustus, who also is a cancer survivor.
Both of them relate to each other and strike a bond of love and affection for each other with time. However, fate has something else stored for them when Gus’s health worsens and he dies due to cancer.
Also See: Steel Magnolias Quotes
This leaves Hazel heartbroken, and she realizes that even with numbered days Gus gave her moments of a lifetime.
The book ends with Gus’s heartfelt letter, where he states that he likes his choice of loving Hazel, and hopes that she likes her choice too. The book closes with Hazel stating that she is happy with her choice.
The book is filled with thoughtful and heart-touching lines that can bring tears even to the eyes of a stoic reader.
These inspirational The Fault In Our Stars quotes about true love and loss show us what it truly means to live a life while you’re dying.
These quotations from the book by John Green also have the chapter number mentioned.
Best The Fault In Our Stars Quotes
- “I do, Augustus. I do.” – Hazel, Chapter 25.
- “Grief does not change you, Hazel. It reveals you.” – Gus, Chapter 23.
- “Some infinities are bigger than other infinities.” – Narrator, Chapter 15.
- “That’s the thing about pain, It demands to be felt.” – Augustus, Chapter 4.
- “The marks humans leave are too often scars.” – Augustus Waters, Chapter 25.
- “My thoughts are stars I can’t fathom into constellations.” – Augustus, Chapter 25.
- “You gave me a forever within the numbered days, and I’m grateful.” – Hazel, Chapter 20.
- “As he read, I fell in love with the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once.” – Hazel, Chapter 8.
- “You are so busy being you that you have no idea how utterly unprecedented you are.” – Augustus, Chapter 8.
- “Maybe some people need to believe in a proper and omnipotent God to pray, but I don’t.” – Hazel, Chapter 12.
- “You realize that trying to keep your distance from me will not lessen my affection for you.” – Augustus, Chapter 8.
- “Oh, I wouldn’t mind, Hazel Grace. It would be a privilege to have my heart broken by you.” – Augustus, Chapter 11.
- “I’m on a roller coaster that only goes up. And it is my privilege and my responsibility to ride all the way up with you.” – Augustus, Chapter 13.
- You don’t get to choose if you get hurt in this world, old man, but you do have some say in who hurts you. I like my choices. I hope she likes hers.” – Augustus, Chapter 25.
- “”I’ll fight it, I’ll fight it for you. Don’t you worry about me, Hazel Grace, I’m okay. I’ll find a way to hang around and annoy you for a long time.” – Augustus Waters, Chapter 13.
The Fault In Our Stars Quotes About Love
- “All efforts to save me from you will fail.” – Augustus, Chapter 8.
- “Augustus Waters was the great star-crossed love of my life.” – Hazel, Chapter 20.
- “I love her. I am so lucky to love her, Van Houten.” – Augustus Waters, Chapter 25.
- “I will not tell you our love story, because—like all real love stories—it will die with us, as it should.” – Hazel, Chapter 20.
- “But, Gus, my love, I cannot tell you how thankful I am for our little infinity. I wouldn’t trade it for the world.” – Hazel, Chapter 20.
- “I’m in love with you, and I’m not in the business of denying myself the simple pleasure of saying true things.” – Augustus, Chapter 10.
- “Ours was an epic love story, and I won’t be able to get more than a sentence into it without disappearing into a puddle of tears.” – Hazel, Chapter 20.
- “But I believe in true love, you know? I don’t believe that everybody gets to keep their eyes or not get sick or whatever, but everybody should have true love, and it should last at least as long as your life does.” – Isaac, Chapter Five, Page Number 75.
- “I’m in love with you, and I know that love is just a shout into the void, and that oblivion is inevitable, and that we’re all doomed and that there will come a day when all our labor has been returned to dust, and I know the sun will swallow the only earth we’ll ever have…” – Augustus, Chapter 10.
- “What else? She is so beautiful. You don’t get tired of looking at her. You never worry if she is smarter than you: You know she is. She is funny without ever being mean. I love her. I am so lucky to love her, Van Houten. You don’t get to choose if you get hurt in this world, old man, but you do have some say in who hurts you. I like my choices. I hope she likes hers.” – Chapter 25.
The Fault in Our Stars Quotes About Life and Death
- “You die in the middle of your life, in the middle of a sentence.” – Chapter 5.
- “And I fear that I won’t get either a life or a death that means anything.” – Augustus Waters, Chapter 11.
- “Everyone was so kind. Strong, too. In the darkest days, the Lord puts the best people into your life.” – Augustus, Chapter 2.
- “It’s a metaphor, see: You put the killing thing right between your teeth, but you don’t give it the power to do its killing.” – Augustus, Chapter 1.
- “If you don’t live a life in service of a greater good, you’ve gotta at least die a death in service of a greater good, you know?” – Augustus, Chapter 11.
The Fault in Our Stars Quotes About Pain
- “You don’t get to choose if you get hurt in this world, old man, but you do have some say in who hurts you.” – Gus
- “There’s no way of knowing that your last good day is your Last Good Day. At the time, it is just another good day.” – Chapter 20.
- “I hated hurting him. Most of the time, I could forget about it, but the inexorable truth is this: They might be glad to have me around, but I was the alpha and the omega of my parents’ suffering.” – Hazel, Chapter Eight.
- “Whenever you read a cancer booklet or website or whatever, they always list depression among the side effects of cancer. But, in fact, depression is not a side effect of cancer. Depression is a side effect of dying. (Cancer is also a side effect of dying. Almost everything is, really.)” – Hazel, Chapter One.
- “Without pain, how could we know joy?′ This is an old argument in the field of thinking about suffering and its stupidity and lack of sophistication could be plumbed for centuries but suffice it to say that the existence of broccoli does not, in any way, affect the taste of chocolate.” – Hazel, Chapter Two.
Augustus Waters Quotes From The Fault In Our Stars
- “Maybe okay will be our’ always.’” – Augustus, Chapter Five.
- “Apparently the world is not a wish-granting factory.” – Augustus, Chapter 12.
- “I used to think that it would be fun to live in a cloud.” – Augustus Waters, Chapter 14.
- “I’d always thought the world was a wish-granting factory.” – Augustus, Chapter Seven.
- “One of the many benefits of not smoking is that packs of cigarettes last forever.” – Augustus, Chapter Five.
- “I enjoy looking at beautiful people, and I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence.” – Augustus, Chapter One.
- “The real heroes anyway aren’t the people doing things; the real heroes are the people noticing things, paying attention.” – Augustus Waters, Chapter 25.
- “Observation: It would be awesome to fly in a super fast airplane that could chase the sunrise around the world for a while.” – Augustus Waters, Chapter 10.
- “Sure, I fear earthly oblivion. But, I mean, not to sound like my parents, but I believe humans have souls, and I believe in the conservation of souls.” – Augustus Waters, Chapter 11.
- “The marks humans leave are too often scars. You build a hideous minimal or start a coup or try to become a rock star and you think, ‘They’ll remember me now,’ but (a) they don’t remember you, and (b) all you leave behind are more scars.” – Augustus Waters, Chapter 25.
Hazel Quotes From The Fault In Our Stars
- “I’m a grenade and at some point I’m going to blow up and I would like to minimize the casualties, okay?” – Hazel, Chapter 6.
- “You say you’re not special because the world doesn’t know about you, but that’s an insult to me. I know about you.” – Hazel, Chapter 17.
- “I’ve always liked people with two names, because you get to make up your mind what you call them: Gus or Augustus?” – Hazel, Chapter Two.
- “That was the worst part about having cancer, sometimes: The physical evidence of disease separates you from other people.” – Hazel, Chapter 10.“Peter Van Houten was the only person I’d ever come across who seemed to (a) understand what it’s like to be dying, and (b) not have died.” – Hazel, Chapter One.
- “Mom sobbed something into Dad’s chest that I wish I hadn’t heard, and that I hope she never finds out that I did hear. She said, “I won’t be a mom anymore.” – Hazel, Chapter 8.
- “People talk about the courage of cancer patients, and I do not deny that courage. I have been poked and stabbed and poisoned for years, and still I trod on.” – Hazel, Chapter Seven.
- “And then there are books like ‘An Imperial Affliction’, which you can’t tell people about, books so special and rare and yours that advertising your affection feels like a betrayal.” – Hazel, Chapter Two.
- “I liked that he was a tenured professor in the Department of Slightly Crooked Smiles with a dual appointment in the Department of Having a Voice That Made My Skin Feel More Like Skin.” – Hazel, Chapter Two.
- “Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book.” – Hazel, Chapter Two.
More Memorable The Fault In Our Stars Book Quotes
- “These would look cute on you.” – Kaitlyn, Chapter Three.
- “I dislike living in a world without Augustus Waters.” – Isaac, Chapter 23.
- “You’ve gotta pick your battles in this world.” – Mrs. Lancaster, Chapter 10.
- “Not to complain or anything because I know a lot of us have it worse, but yeah, I mean, being blind does sort of suck.” – Isaac, Chapter One.
- “I got my wish, I suppose. I left my scar. Hazel reads these words from Augustus to Van Houten in the letter that Lidewij sends to her.,” – Chapter 25.
- “Thank you for explaining that my eye cancer isn’t going to make me deaf. I feel so fortunate that an intellectual giant like yourself would deign to operate on me.” – Isaac, Chapter One.
- “But it is the nature of stars to cross, and never was Shakespeare more wrong than when he has Cassius note, ‘The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars / But in ourselves.” – Peter Van Houten, Chapter 7.
- “When the scientists of the future show up at my house with robot eyes and they tell me to try them on, I will tell the scientists to screw off, because I do not want to see a world without him.’” – Isaac, Chapter 20
- “I went to Support Group for the same reason that I’d once allowed nurses with a mere eighteen months of graduate education to poison me with exotically named chemicals: I wanted to make my parents happy.” – Hazel, Chapter One.
- “It occurred to me that the reason my parents had no money was me. I’d sapped the family savings with Phalanxifor copays, and Mom couldn’t work because she had taken on the full-time profession of Hovering Over Me.” – Hazel, Chapter 5.
- “I almost felt like he was there in my room with me, but in a way it was better, like I was not in my room and he was not in his, but instead we were together in some invisible and tenuous third space.” – Augustus “Gus” Waters, Chapter Five.
- “We watched the movie with several inches of couch between us. I did the totally middleschooly thing wherein I put my hand on the couch about halfway between us to let him know that it was okay to hold it, but he didn’t try.” – Hazel, Chapter Two.
- “The pleasure of remembering had been taken from me, because there was no longer anyone to remember with. It felt like losing your co-rememberer meant losing the memory itself, as if the things we’d done were less real and important than they had been hours before.” – Chapter 21.
- “You are not a grenade, not to us. Thinking about you dying makes us sad, Hazel, but you are not a grenade. You are amazing. You can’t know, sweetie, because you’ve never had a baby become a brilliant young reader with a side interest in horrible television shows.” – Mr. Lancaster, Chapter 6.
- “’Cause I’m just—I want to go to Amsterdam, and I want him to tell me what happens after the book is over, and I just don’t want my particular life, and also the sky is depressing me, and there is this old swing set out here that my dad made for me when I was a kid.” – Hazel Grace, Chapter Eight.
The Fault in Our Stars is also an American coming-of-age romance film based on John Green’s novel of the same name.
The film is directed by Josh Boone, and stars Ansel Elgort and Shailene Woodley, with Nat Wolff, Sam Trammell, Willem Dafoe, and Laura Dern in supporting roles.
On May 16, 2014, it world premiered at Seattle International Film Festival and was then released on June 6, 2014, in North America by 20th Century Fox.
The film was critically acclaimed, with praise given to the actors for their performance and chemistry, as well as the screenplay.
It grossed $307 million worldwide and was number one at the box office in its opening week. The movie has many iconic and heartbreaking scenes and is a must-watch for all those who love to see love stories.
Feel free to share these heartfelt quotes with friends and family on Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp, Tumblr, Pinterest, and more to spread some wise words of wisdom to inspire you.
If we have missed some TFIOS quotes, share them with us in the comment section below and we shall be happy to add them to the list.