Looking for iconic quotes from the popular movie Steel Magnolias? We have rounded up the best collection of Steel Magnolias quotes, sayings, phrases, dialogues, lines, and captions, (with images and pictures) about love, friendship, and life that will inspire you.
Steel Magnolias is a 1989 American comedy-drama film about a group of six Southern women who share a close bond of friendship despite their eccentricities and complicated life. They gossip and solve problems at the local salon, standing by each other through life’s ups and downs.
Steel Magnolias is directed by Herbert Ross and is a film adaptation of Robert Harling’s stage play of the same name.
The play was about a group of friends in a small American town, the friendship and the bond they share, and how they cope with the death of one of their own.
Also See: It’s A Wonderful Life Quotes
The play is based on the true story of Robert Harling losing his sister, Susan Harling Robinson who died of complications from Type 1 Diabetes. In the movie, Shelby the character based on Susan is played by Julia Roberts.
Steel Magnolias a star-studded melodrama that premiered way back in ’89 has a major impact on fans.
The movie will remain in our hearts forever as it beautifully portrays the bonds of friendship, the relationship between a mother and child, the pain of loss, southern humor, and the way beauty parlors out of the blue can bring people together.
The movie also gives a message about people who risk having children despite of medical complications. This message rarely comes up when talking about the movie’s emotional power, but it should.
Top 10 Steel Magnolias Quotes
- “Pink is my signature color.” – Shelby Eatenton
- “It’s in the ‘freezes beautifully’ section of my cookbook.” – Annelle
- “I just like the idea of growing old with somebody.” – Shelby Eatenton
- “Don’t try to get on my good side, I no longer have one.” – Ouiser Boudreaux
- “I don’t trust anybody that does their own hair. I don’t think it’s normal.” – Truvy Jones
- “I find it amusing. Men are supposed to be made out of steel or something.” – M’Lynn Eatenton
- “I would rather have 30 minutes of wonderful than a lifetime of nothing special.” – Shelby Eatenton
- “You can’t screw up her hair. You just tease it and make it look like a brown football helmet.” – Shelby Eatenton
- “I didn’t know if you would hire someone who may or may not be married to someone who might be a dangerous criminal.” – Annalle
- “I just like the idea of growing old with somebody. My dream is to sit on the back porch covered with grandchildren and say ‘no’ and ‘stop that.’” – Shelby Eatenton
Famous Steel Magnolias quotes from M’Lynn
In the movie the character of M’Lynn Eatenton is played by Sally Field. She is a 50 year old mother of Shelby (Character played by Julia Roberts).
She loves her daughter too much, and is over-protective about her. M’Lynn is a strong lady and likes to have grip over things. She is a busy woman and is too much worried about her age.
- “If he’s trying to drive me crazy, it’s too late.” – M’Lynn Eatenton
- “I can’t even begin to think how you make gray icing!” – M’Lynn Eatenton
- (after Ouiser belches) “Oh, now that’s attractive, Ouiser.” – M’Lynn Eatenton
- “You are special, Shelby. There are limits to what you can do.” – M’Lynn Eatenton
- “Oh my God, Shelby was right. My hair does look like a brown football helmet!” – M’Lynn Eatenton
- (referring to Shelby’s pink wedding decorations) “That sanctuary looks like it’s been hosed down with Pepto-Bismol.” – M’Lynn Eatenton
- “It’s not supposed to happen this way! I’m supposed to go first. I’ve always been ready to go first. I-I don’t think I can take this.” – M’Lynn Eatenton
- “Shelby, as you know, wouldn’t want us to get mired down and wallow in this. We should handle it the best way we know how and get on with it. That’s what my mind says; I just wish somebody would explain it to my heart.” – M’Lynn Eatenton
- “I just sat there. I just held Shelby’s hand. There was no noise, no tremble, just peace. Oh god. I realize as a woman how lucky I am. I was there when that wonderful creature drifted into my life and I was there when she drifted out. It was the most precious moment of my life.” – M’Lynn Eatenton
- “I find it amusing. Men are supposed to be made out of steel or something. I just sat there. I just held Shelby’s hand. There was no noise, no tremble, just peace. Oh, God. I realize as a woman how lucky I am. I was there when that wonderful creature drifted into my life, and I was there when she drifted out. It was the most precious moment of my life.” – M’Lynn Eatenton
- (screaming) “I’m fine. I’m fine. I’m fine! I can jog all the way to Texas and back, but my daughter can’t! She never could! Oh, God! I am so mad I don’t know what I want to do. I wanna know why! I wanna know why Shelby’s life is over! I wanna know how that baby will ever know how wonderful his mother was. Will he ever know what she went through for him? Oh, God, I wanna know why. Why? Lord, I wish I could understand!” – M’Lynn Eatenton
Best Steel Magnolias Quotes from Truvy Jones
In the movie the character of Truvy Jones is played by Dolly parton. Truvy Jones is a 40 year old owner of a beauty parlor.
She knows about everyone’s life around her and loves to gossip with anyone who is willing to listen. Interestingly, Truvy always has advice for people, and it often comes in the form country sayings.
Truvy is a wife to Spud Jones and mother to Louie. She was the one who hired Annelle Dupuy-DeSoto (Played by Daryl Hannah) for her beauty parlor who later became the member of the group. Here are the best Truvy quotes in ‘Steel Magnolias’.
- “Smile! It increases your face value.” – Truvy Jones
- “It takes some effort to look like this.” – Truvy Jones
- “There is no such thing as natural beauty.” – Truvy Jones
- “I can usually spot a bottle job at 20 paces.” – Truvy Jones
- “I kind of like hiring somebody with a past.” – Truvy Jones
- “Now, see, that’s what really melts my butter.” – Truvy Jones
- “Laughter through tears is my favorite emotion.” – Truvy Jones
- “I’m just screamin’ at my husband; I can do that any time!” – Truvy Jones
- “I have a strict policy that nobody cries alone in my presence.” – Truvy Jones
- “I haven’t left the house without lycra on these thighs since I was 14.” – Truvy Jones
- “This is the eighties. If you can achieve puberty, you can achieve a past.” – Truvy Jones
- “I don’t trust anybody who does their own hair. I don’t think it’s normal.” – Truvy Jones
- “Oh, honey, God don’t care which church you go to, long as you show up!” – Truvy Jones
- “In a good shoe, I wear a size six, but a seven feels so good, I buy a size eight.” – Truvy Jones
- “When it comes to pain and suffering, she’s right up there with Elizabeth Taylor.” – Truvy Jones
- “No time for thanks this morning; we’ll be busier than a one-armed paper hanger.” – Truvy Jones
- “Honey, time marches on and eventually you realize it’s marching across your face.” – Truvy Jones
- “I don’t like her. I don’t trust anyone who does their own hair. I don’t think it’s natural.” – Truvy Jones
- “Oh, Sammy’s so confused he don’t know whether to scratch his watch or wind his butt.” – Truvy Jones
- “There’s so much static electricity in this room, I pick up everything but boys and money.” – Truvy Jones
- “Oh, get with it, Clairee. This is the ’80s. If you can achieve puberty, you can achieve a past.” – Truvy Jones
- “Louie brought his new girlfriend over, and the nicest thing I can say about her is all her tattoos are spelled correctly.” – Truvy Jones
- “Oh, sweetheart, don’t. Please don’t cry or I will too. I have a strict policy that nobody cries alone in my presence.” – Truvy Jones
- “A cuppa-cuppa-cuppa? That’s simple; you don’t need to write that down. A cup of flour, a cup of sugar, a cup of fruit cocktail with the juice, and you mix and bake at 350 to a golden bubbly.” – Truvy Jones
- “Maybe she’s praying for Marshall and Drew and Belle. Maybe she’s praying for us because we’re gossiping. Maybe she’s praying because the elastic is shot in her pantyhose! She prays at the drop of a hat these days.” – Truvy Jones
Witty Steel Magnolias Quotes By Clairee
In the movie the character of Clairee Belcher is played by Olympia Dukakis. She is a 60 year old widow of the former mayor Chinquapin.
She is very rich and like Truvy, knows about everyone’s life around her. She is very sarcastic and loves to poke people.
- “I’m too colorful for words.” – Clairee Belcher
- “You know I love ya more than my luggage.” – Clairee Belcher
- “You have the handwriting of a serial killer.” – Clairee Belcher
- “That which does not kill us makes us stronger.” – Clairee Belcher
- “If you can’t say anything nice about anybody, come sit by me.” – Clairee Belcher
- “They were both high. They’d been smokin’ everything but their shoes.” – Clairee Belcher
- “I really do love football, but it’s hard to parlay that into a reason to live.” – Clairee Belcher
- “Ouiser could never stay mad at me — she worships the quicksand I walk on.” – Clairee Belcher
- “The only thing that separates us from the animals is our ability to accessorize.” – Clairee Belcher
- “Ouiser, I’d recognize this penmanship anywhere. You have the handwritin’ of a serial killer.” – Clairee Belcher
- (looking at the mayor’s girdle-less wife dancing) “Looks like two pigs fightin’ under a blanket.” – Clairee Belcher
- “Ouiser, this is your chance to do something for your fellow man. Knock her lights out, M’Lynn!” – Clairee Belcher
- “Well, you know what they say: If you don’t have anything nice to say about anybody, come sit by me!” – Clairee Belcher
- “Ouiser, you sound almost chipper. What happened today? You run over a small child or something?” – Clairee Belcher
- (quoting her nephew) “All gay men have track lightin’. And all gay men are named Mark, Rick, or Steve.” – Clairee Belcher
- “Shelby, you scared us. That wasn’t a nice thing to do to your mama. Never say that to a woman who’s marinatin’ 50 pounds of crab claws.” – Clairee Belcher
- (positioning Ouiser in front of a distraught M’Lynn) “Hit this! Go ahead, M’Lynn, slap her! … We’ll sell t-shirts sayin’ ‘I SLAPPED OUISER BOUDREAUX!’” – Clairee Belcher
- (trying to do color commentary by discussing the color of the football uniforms) “But I love the top — such a vibrant purple. Bob, would you call this color grape or aubergine?” – Clairee Belcher
- “What would I do with a radio station? Oh, business never interested me. Lloyd took care of all that stuff. Shelby, I hope you and Jackson will be as happy as Lloyd and I were. We had such a good time. Until November. Well, at least he hung on through the state playoffs.” – Clairee Belcher
Steel Magnolias quotes from Ouiser Boudreaux
In the movie the character of Louisa “Ouiser” Boudreaux is played by Shirley MacLaine. She is a sixty year old wealthy lady. She has a unique personality and a great sense of humor. Ouiser is Clairee’s best friend and confidante.
- “Ugh, leave me alone.” – Ouiser Boudreaux
“Are you high, Clairee?!” – Ouiser Boudreaux
“Drum, eat sht and die.” – Ouiser Boudreaux
“You are a pig from hell.” – Ouiser Boudreaux
“I’m not as sweet as I used to be.” – Ouiser Boudreaux
“You are too twisted for color TV!” – Ouiser Boudreaux
“He is a boil on the butt of humanity.” – Ouiser Boudreaux
“A dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste.” – Ouiser Boudreaux
“You are evil, and you must be destroyed.” – Ouiser Boudreaux
“I hate these stupid neighborhood things.” – Ouiser Boudreaux
“I’m not crazy, I’ve just been in a very bad mood for 40 years.” – Ouiser Boudreaux
“Don’t try to get on my good side, Truvy. I no longer have one!” – Ouiser Boudreaux
“Annelle, take your Bible and shove it where the sun doesn’t shine.” – Ouiser Boudreaux
“There. My secret’s out. I’m having an affair with a Mercedes Benz!” – Ouiser Boudreaux
“The only reason people are nice to me is because I have more money than God.” – Ouiser Boudreaux
“What’s the matter with you these days, M’Lynn? You got a reindeer up your butt?” – Ouiser Boudreaux
“Somebody’s gotta take ’em. I hate ’em. I try not to eat healthy food if I can possibly help it.” – Ouiser Boudreaux
“I just thought Sammy won’t mind you reading the Bible in bed as long as you’re wearing something inspirational.” – Ouiser Boudreaux
“This is football. All the people want to hear about are touchdowns and injuries. They don’t give a damn ’bout that grape shit.” – Ouiser Boudreaux
“I am an old Southern woman, and I am supposed to wear funny clothes, ugly hats, and dig in the dirt. I did not make the rules.” – Ouiser Boudreaux
“My God, you look different. Have you shrunk?” (after knocking Clairee off the bench and looking at her hair) “Get your roots done!” – Ouiser Boudreaux
“I’m pleasant. Damn it! I saw Drum Eatenton at the Piggly Wiggly this morning, and I smiled at the son of a bitch ‘fore I could help myself.” – Ouiser Boudreaux
“I’m pleasant. Damn it! I saw Drum Eatenton this morning at the Piggly Wiggly, and I smiled at the son of a bitch ‘fore I couldn’t help myself.” “This is it, I’ve found it. I’m in hell.” – Ouiser Boudreaux
“Well don’t you expect me to come to one of your churches or one of those tent-revivals with all those Bible-beaters doin’ God-only-knows-what! They’d probably make me eat a live chicken!” – Ouiser Boudreaux
“I do not see plays, because I can nap at home for free. And I don’t see movies ’cause they’re trash, and they got nothin’ but naked people in ’em! And I don’t read books, ’cause if they’re any good, they’re gonna make ’em into a miniseries.” – Ouiser Boudreaux
Steel Magnolias showcases the importance of love and friendship in our lives. It teaches us that powerful bonds can help us get through any difficult situations in life.
The movie stands for the bond of female friendship and has been acclaimed as a celebration of womanhood.
The movie is filled with funny and sarcastic quotable moments and great one-liners.
Which is your favorite quote from the above? If you have any other inspirational quotes to add to the list, let us know in the comment section below.
Also, don’t forget to share these wise words of wisdom with your friends and followers on Facebook, Pinterest, WhatsApp, Instagram, Tumblr, and more.