200 Best Rumi Quotes on Love, Life, Friendship and Death!
Rumi quotes are well known for their wisdom, for being deep meaningful, thought-provoking, and powerful. Let these inspirational Rumi quotes, sayings, and proverbs (with images and pictures) help you realize all the positivity, power, and beauty within you.
Jalāl ad-Dīn Muhammad Rūmī was a 13th-century Persian poet. Most popularly known as simply Rumi, he was also known for being an Islamic scholar, jurist, theologian, and Sufi mystic. His work generated a great following for its ability to bridge barriers, as it transcended cultures, ethnicities, time, languages, and spirituality.
Rumi’s poetry is known for its universal themes of love, spirituality, and personal growth, making it timeless and relevant even today.
His poems often blend religious imagery with personal experience and observations, resulting in a unique style that transcends cultural and linguistic barriers.
Also See: Khalil Gibran Quotes
Rumi’s words are not just poems but also serve as lessons on life and the human experience. His words offer comfort, encouragement, and wisdom, inspiring people to live their lives with purpose, compassion, and joy.
Whether you’re searching for inspiration, solace, or just a moment of reflection, Rumi’s quotes are sure to touch your heart and leave a lasting impact on your life.
His beautiful poetry, words, and quotes were deep and gave great meaning to love, life, God, death, women, friendship, and other concepts.
Most Famous Rumi Quotes on Life
- “There is a voice that doesn’t use words. Listen.” – Rumi
- “Forget safety. Live where you fear to live.” – Rumi
- “Be like a tree and let the dead leaves drop.” – Rumi
- “Life is a balance of holding on and letting go.” – Rumi
- “Live life as if everything is rigged in your favor.” – Rumi
- “The wound is the place, where the light enters you.” – Rumi
- “Don’t you know yet? It is your light that lights the worlds.” – Rumi
- “Why do you stay in prison when the door is so wide open.”- Rumi
- “Keep silent, because the world of silence is a vast fullness.” – Rumi
- “When will you begin that long journey into yourself?” – Rumi
- “As you start to walk on the way, the way appears.” – Rumi
- “What hurts you, blesses you. Darkness is your candle.” – Rumi
- “You were born with wings, why prefer to crawl through life?” – Rumi
- “Whatever lifts the corners of your mouth, trust that.” – Rumi
- “If you are irritated by every rub, how will you be polished?” – Rumi
- “Stop acting so small. You are the universe in ecstatic motion.” – Rumi
- “You are not a drop in the ocean. You are the entire ocean in a drop.” – Rumi
- “Don’t be satisfied with stories, how things have gone with others. Unfold your own myth.”
- Seek the wisdom that will untie your knot. Seek the path that demands your whole being.
- Do not worry if all the candles in the world flicker and die. We have the spark that starts the fire.
- If destiny comes to help you, love will come to meet you. A life without love isn’t a life.
- Don’t make yourself miserable with what is to come or not to come.
Inspirational Rumi Love Quotes & Sayings
Rumi’s love poems often focus on the idea of love as a path to union with the divine, and his verses often use vivid, sensual language to express the intensity of his love.
Some of his most famous quotes include: “Let the beauty of what you love be what you do”, and “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.”
These love quotes reflect Rumi’s belief that love is the key to spiritual fulfillment, and that it has the power to transform our lives.
- “Let the beauty of what you love to be what you do.” – Rumi
- “Close your eyes, fall in love, stay there.” – Rumi
- “Let your teacher be love itself.” – Rumi
- “I am yours. Don’t give myself back to me.” – Rumi
- “Love risks everything and asks for nothing.” – Rumi
- “Reason is powerless in the expression of Love.” – Rumi
- “The only lasting beauty is the beauty of the heart.” – Rumi
- “Your heart knows the way. Run in that direction.” – Rumi
- “Only from the heart can you touch the sky.” – Rumi
- “May these vows and this marriage be blessed.” – Rumi
- “Laugh as much as you breathe. Love as long as you live.” – Rumi
- “Love is the bridge between you and everything.” – Rumi
- “Wherever you are, and whatever you do, be in love.” – Rumi
- “This is a subtle truth. Whatever you love you are.” – Rumi
- “You have to keep breaking your heart until it opens.” – Rumi
- “If light is in your heart, you will find your way home.” – Rumi
- “These pains you feel are messengers. Listen to them.” – Rumi
- “When I am with you, we stay up all night. When you’re not here, I can’t go to sleep.”
- “This is love: to fly toward a secret sky, to cause a hundred veils to fall each moment. First to let go of life. Finally, to take a step without feet.”
- “If you want to win hearts, sow the seeds of Love. If you want heaven, stop scattering thorns on the road.”- Rumi
- “Lovers don’t finally meet somewhere. They’re in each other all along.” – Rumi
- “As you live deeper in the Heart, the mirror gets clearer and cleaner!” – Rumi
- “I belong to no religion. My religion is love. Every heart is my temple.” – Rumi
- “Let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of what you really love” – Rumi
- “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” – Rumi
- “Be certain that in the religion of Love there are no believers and unbelievers. LOVE embraces all.” – Rumi
- “There is no salvation for the soul but to fall in love. Only lovers can escape out of these two worlds.”
- “On the path of love we are neither masters nor the owners of our lives. We are only a brush in the hand of the master painter.”
- “I have no companion but Love, no beginning, no end, no dawn. The soul calls from within me: ‘You, ignorant of the way of Love, set me free.”
- “Come, seek, for search is the foundation of fortune: every success depends upon focusing the heart.” – Rumi
- “Gamble everything for love, if you are a true human being. Half-heartedness does not reach into majesty.” – Rumi
- “Let the lover be disgraceful, crazy, absentminded. Someone sober will worry about things going badly. Let the lover be.” – Rumi
- “Your heart is the size of an ocean. Go find yourself in its hidden depths.” – Rumi
- “Let yourself be silently drawn by the strange pull of what you really love. It will not lead you astray.” – Rumi
- “The very center of your heart is where life begins – the most beautiful place on earth.”
Popular Rumi Quotes on Anger, Gratitude, Beauty
- “There are a thousand ways to kneel and kiss the earth.” – Rumi
- “Dance until you shatter yourself.” – Rumi
- “To praise the sun is to praise your own eyes.” – Rumi
- “Set your life on fire. Seek those who fan your flames.” – Rumi
- “Wear gratitude like a cloak and it will feed every corner of your life.” – Rumi
- Raise your words, not voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.” – Rumi
- “I want to sing like the birds sing, not worrying about who hears or what they think.” – Rumi
Best Rumi Quotes on Friendship
- “What you seek is seeking you.” – Rumi
- “Words are a pretext. It is the inner bond that draws one person to another, not words.”- Rumi
- “It’s your road, and yours alone, others may walk it with you, but no one can walk it for you.”- Rumi
- Take someone who doesn’t keep score, who’s not looking to be richer, or afraid of losing, who has not the slightest interest even in his own personality: he’s free.- Rumi
Short Rumi Quotes on God, Soul, Religion, Spirituality, and Death
- “Love is the endless ocean of God.” – Rumi
- “What is planted in each person’s soul will sprout.”- Rumi
- “Be empty of worrying. Think of who created thought.” – Rumi
- “Prayer clears the mist and brings back peace to the soul.” – Rumi
- “The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear.” – Rumi
- “Don’t grieve. Anything you lose comes round in another form.”
- “Be silent. Only the hand of God can remove the burdens of your heart.”
- “My soul is from elsewhere, I’m sure of that, and I intend to end up there.”
- “By God, when you see your beauty you will be the idol of yourself.”
- “The desire to know your own soul will end all other desires.”
- “What matters is how quickly you do what your soul directs.” – Rumi
- “I am not this hair, I am not this skin, I am the soul that lives within.” – Rumi
- “Maybe you are searching among the branches, for what only appears in the roots.”
- “I looked in temples, churches and mosques. I found the Divine within my Heart.”
- “When the world pushes you to your knees, you’re in the perfect position to pray.”
- “Ignore those that make you fearful and sad, that degrade you back towards disease and death.” – Rumi
- “All your anxiety is because of your desire for harmony. Seek disharmony, then you will gain peace.”
- There is a candle in your heart, ready to be kindled. There is a void in your soul, ready to be filled. You feel it, don’t you? – Rumi
- “God turns you from one feeling to another and teaches by means of opposites, so that you will have two wings to fly, not one.”
- “There are a thousand ways to kneel and kiss the ground; there are a thousand ways to go home again.”
- “Goodbyes are only for those who love with their eyes. Because for those who love with heart and soul there is no such thing as separation.”
- The spirit is so near that you can’t see it! But reach for it… don’t be a jar, full of water, whose rim is always dry. Don’t be the rider who gallops all night and never sees the horse that is beneath him.
Classic Rumi Quotes and Words
Rumi believed that silence was a powerful tool for spiritual growth and understanding. He saw it as a means of connecting with the divine, as well as a way to escape the distractions and noise of the world.
Rumi encouraged people to seek silence and stillness as a way of experiencing the divine, and he believed that through quiet reflection and contemplation, one could gain a deeper understanding of their own soul and the universe.
- “Silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation.” – Rumi
- There is a voice that doesn’t use words, listen.
- “Inside any deep asking is the answering”
- “If all you can do is crawl, start crawling.” – Rumi
- “Let silence take you to the core of life.” – Rumi
- “Caught by our own thoughts, we worry about everything.” – Rumi
- “A pen went scribbling along. When it tried to write love, it broke.” – Rumi
- “We carry inside us the wonders we seek outside us.” – Rumi
- “The lion is most handsome when looking for food.” – Rumi
- “The moment you accept what troubles you’ve been given, the door will open.”
- “Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself.”
- “Run from what’s comfortable. Forget safety. Live where you fear to live. Destroy your reputation. Be notorious. I have tried prudent planning long enough. From now on I’ll be mad.” ― Rumi
- Sit, be still, and listen.
- Silence gives answers.
- The source of now is here.
- Be soulful. Be kind. Be in love.
- Let yourself become living poetry.
- Be an empty page, untouched by words.
- Be drunk with love, for love is all that exists.
- Grace comes to forgive and then forgive again.
Witty & Funny Rumi Quotes
- “Either give me more wine or leave me alone.”
- “Gratitude is the wine for the soul. Go on. Get drunk.”
- “I lost my hat while gazing at the moon, and then I lost my mind.”
- “Love sometimes wants to do us a great favor: hold us upside down and shake all the nonsense out.”
- “Lovers have heartaches that can’t be cured by drugs or sleep or games, but only by seeing their beloved.”
In conclusion, Rumi’s quotes are a timeless treasure of wisdom, love, and spirituality. They offer a unique perspective on life that is both personal and universal.
Rumi’s words continue to inspire and touch people’s lives centuries after his death. His poems offer comfort, encouragement, and wisdom, reminding us to live life with purpose, compassion, and joy.
His legacy lives on through his words, and his influence can still be felt today in the world of poetry, spirituality, and beyond.
His poems are a testament to the power of words to bring people together and to offer comfort and hope in times of trouble.