Feeling sad being betrayed? Looking for some deep quotes on betrayal? We’ve rounded some of the best betrayal quotes, sayings, proverbs, status messages, and captions (with images & pictures) that you might relate to if you have been cheated on.
Betrayal means “an act of deliberate disloyalty,”. This breach of faith can be done to a country, to a relationship (love, friendship), or to a group of persons (family).
Nothing can be worse than discovering that the person you had loved and trusted and offered all your loyalty to has backstabbed you.
Also See: Quotes About Backstabbers
Being betrayed by your close ones or loved ones can be very heartbreaking. Betrayal comes in the disguise of cheating, disloyalty, lies, and being hurt by someone who never expected it. When your trust is broken the loss is a very painful experience.
Betrayal is a feeling of being let down or deceived by someone you trusted. It can be a deep wound that takes time to heal.
Many writers, philosophers, and thinkers have explored the theme of betrayal in their works and have left behind some powerful quotes that capture the essence of this painful experience.
It hurts when you find family or friends manipulating you and trying to take advantage of you. But betrayal in love or a relationship should never stop you from moving forward in life. Learn the lesson from your mistakes and be careful before trusting people and moving on in life.
Some of these quotes are filled with anger and bitterness, while others offer a more philosophical and reflective perspective on the subject.
Top 10 Betrayal Quotes
“It hurts. Because it mattered.” — John Green
“I trusted you and you betrayed me.” — Unknown
- “Each betrayal begins with trust.” — Martin Luther King
- “Betrayal is the only truth that sticks.” – Arthur Miller
- “Even loss and betrayal can bring us awakening.” — Buddha
- “It is better to have an enemy who honestly says they hate you.”- Unknown
- “Betrayal doesn’t only break your heart, but also darkens your soul.” – Unknown
- “Is it possible to succeed without any act of betrayal?” – Jean Renoir
- “Betrayal is about learning not to idealize external sources.” – Linda Talley
- “Sometimes the person you’d take a bullet for is standing behind the trigger.” – Taylor Swift
Deep Betrayal Quotes
- “The saddest thing about betrayal is that it never comes from your enemies.” – Anonymous
- “Betrayal is never easy to handle and there is no right way to accept it.” – Christine Feehan
- “They can betray me, but I choose not be betray my peace of mind.” – Dodinsky
- “When you betray somebody else, you also betray yourself.” – Isaac Bashevis Singer
- “There is something wrong with your character if opportunity controls your loyalty.” – Unknown
- “Trust can be lost within seconds, takes a lifetime to regain, and is never as strong again afterward.” – Unknown
- “Beware the person who stabs you and tells the world they’re the one who’s bleeding.” – Jill Blakeway
- “Trust is not established in the absence of betrayal, but in those whose betrayal is least.” – Wes Fessler
- “That was how dishonesty and betrayal started, not in big lies but in small secrets.” — Amy Tan
- “Some people are willing to betray years of friendship just to get a little bit of the spotlight.” — Lauren Conrad
Famous Quotes About Betraying
- “Only those you trust can betray you.” ― Terry Goodkind
- “It’s scary how betrayal can never let you trust a person again.” – Garima Soni
- “For there to be betrayal, there would have to have been trust first.” ― Suzanne Collins
- “Stab the body and it heals, but injure the heart and the wound lasts a lifetime.” ― Mineko Iwasaki
- Every betrayal contains a perfect moment, a coin stamped heads or tails with salvation on the other side. – Barbara Kingsolver
- “The knives of betrayal and drama cut deep and hurt… but they also trim away the nonsense and reveal your true friends.” – Steve Maraboli
- “Trust is earned, respect is given, and loyalty is demonstrated. Betrayal of any one of those is to lose all three.” — Ziad K. Abdelnour
- “Sometimes you don’t need to hear their excuses or what they have to say for themselves because their actions already spoke the truth.”— Unknown
- All trust involves vulnerability and risk, and nothing would count as trust if there were no possibility of betrayal. – Robert C. Solomon
- “Confession is not betrayal. What you say or do doesn’t matter; only feelings matter. If they could make me stop loving you-that would be the real betrayal.” — George Orwell
- Everyone suffers at least one bad betrayal in their lifetime. It’s what unites us. The trick is not to let it destroy your trust in others when that happens. Don’t let them take that from you. – Sherrilyn Kenyon
Best Friendship Betrayal Quotes
Sometimes, even the best of friendships can fall apart due to many reasons. You and your bestie may end up with a bad fight due to lies, cheating, or betrayal.
- “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” — William Shakespeare
- “It is easier to forgive an enemy than to forgive a friend.”— William Blake
- “Friends are supposed to be there for you when you cry, not the reason you cry.”— Unknown
- Mind what people do, not only what they say, for deeds will betray a lie. – Terry Goodkind
- “Don’t be sorry. I trusted you. My mistake, not yours.” — Unknown
- “Some of the most poisonous people come disguised as friends.”
- “Don’t fear the enemy that attacks you, but the fake friend that hugs you.” — Obameso Sunkanm
- “Betray a friend and you’ll often find you have ruined yourself.” — Aesop
- “The lesser the friends, the lesser the chances of betrayal.” — Tupac Shakur
- “We’re not friends, we’re not enemies, we’re just strangers with some memories.” – Frank Ocean
Quotes About Betraying
- “We have to distrust each other. It is our only defense against betrayal.” – Tennessee Williams
- “You know that you have been stabbed when you feel the deep pain of betrayal.” – Les Parrott
- “Breaking someone’s trust is like crumpling up a perfect piece of paper. You can smooth it over but it’s never going to be the same again.”
- “It’s hard to tell who has your back from who has it long enough just to stab you in it.” — Nicole Richie
- “Be careful who you tell your feelings to because some people are waiting for the opportunity to use them against you.”
- ‘It was a mistake,’ you said. But the cruel thing was, it felt like the mistake was mine, for trusting you. – David Levithan
- “I will take his secret to the grave, telling people along the way. Betrayal is no sin if it is whimsical.” – Tom Stoppard
- “Better to have an enemy who slaps you in the face than a friend who stabs you in the back.” – Unknown
- “The worst feeling in the world is knowing you’ve been used and lied to by someone you trusted.” – Unknown
- “The worst kind of hurt is betrayal because it means that someone will willing to hurt you just to make themselves feel better.” – Unknown
- “An honest enemy is better than a false friend.” – Zero Dean
- “Beware the person who stabs you and then tells the world they’re the world they’re the one who’s bleeding.” – Jill Blakeway
- “I used to advertise my loyalty and I don’t believe there is a single person I loved that I didn’t eventually betray.” — Albert Camus
- “There is a big difference between being betrayed by an enemy and being betrayed by a friend. The latter hurts more.”— Unknown
- “Don’t waste words on people who deserve your silence. Sometimes the most powerful thing you can say is nothing at all.”— Unknown
- “The knives of betrayal and drama cut deep and hurt… but they also trim away the nonsense and reveal your true friends.” — Steve Maraboli
- “It’s hard to trust somebody when the one person who you completely opened up to is the person who later completely betrayed you.”— Unknown
- “The worst pain in the world goes beyond the physical. Even further beyond any other emotional pain, one can feel. It is the betrayal of a friend.” – Heather Brewer
- “Two people who were once very close can without blame or grand betrayal become strangers. Perhaps this is the saddest thing in the world.” — Warsan Shire
- “Betrayal doesn’t only break your heart but also darkens your soul. You’ll never forget the pain like a fog that forever lingers in the depths of your mind.”— Unknown
Deep Love Betrayal Quotes and Sayings
Being cheated you feel betrayed and start having trust issues in the relationship. The hard truth seems to be unbelievable when someone you love cheats on you.
Also See: Cheating Woman Quotes
There can be nothing terrible if you are heartbroken by someone who has been unfaithful in your relationship.
Don’t forget to read our collection of bad relationship quotes to help you move on after your breakup.
- “What had seemed like love was betrayal.” ― Claudia Gray
- “Betrayal can only happen if you love.” – John le Carre
- “When someone betrays you, it is a reflection of their character, not yours.”– Unknown
- “I didn’t fall in love with you, I fell in love with the person you pretended to be.” – Unknown
- “I trusted you, but now your words mean nothing because your actions spoke the truth.” – Unknown
- “Love is whatever you can still betray. Betrayal can only happen if you love.” – John le Carre
- “Forgive yourself for the blindness that let others betray you. Sometimes a good heart doesn’t see the bad.”– Unknown
- “Betrayal answers betrayal, the mask of love is answered by the disappearance of love.” — Albert Camus
- “For me, I always wonder what’s worse: an emotional betrayal or a physical betrayal? That’s a really tough call.” – Hilarie Burton
- “Love comes to those who still hope after disappointment, who still believes after betrayal, and who still love after they’ve been hurt.”
- “Shame, blame, disrespect, betrayal, and the withholding of affection damage the roots from which love grows. Love can only survive these injuries if they are acknowledged, healed, and rare.” – Brene Brown
- To me, the thing that is worse than death is betrayal. You see, I could conceive death, but I could not conceive betrayal. – Malcolm X
- Betrayal is one of my biggest fears. Betrayal happens on many different levels all the time, and there is no worse feeling than realizing someone you thought you could trust has gone against you. – Katie Lee
Related: Being Hurt Quotes
Sad Quotes on Betrayal from Family
In this fast-moving world, it’s difficult to come across true and honest people. It is very difficult to deal with betrayal when it comes from your family members. You feel shattered and hurt to be cheated by your most trusted people.
Also See: Shady People Quotes
Lying, cheating, and disloyalty are all attributes of a fake person or a friend. Being lied to is something no one likes. It is really hard to trust your partner or friend who lies to you.
- “Blood makes you related, Loyalty makes you family.” – Chris Diaz
- “Let’s call cheating what it is: a complete betrayal of trust.” — Greg Behrendt
- “Blame and betrayal are the emotional enemies of improvement.”— Andy Hargreaves
- “Life is not about who’s real to your face, it’s about who’s real behind your back.”— Unknown
- “Those who don’t know the value of loyalty can never appreciate the cost of betrayal.”— Unknown
- “Nothing hurts more than being disappointed by the single person you thought would never hurt you.”— Unknown
- “Sometimes the people closest to you betray you, and your home isn’t a place you can be happy anymore.” – Kristin Cast
- “Tragedy in life normally comes with betrayal and compromise, and trading on your integrity and not having dignity in life. That’s really where failure comes.” – Tom Cochrane
- “Betrayal can be extremely painful, but it’s up to you how much that pain damages you permanently.” – Emily V. Gordon
- “Betrayal leaves us at a fork in the road. We can become stuck in a bad moment forever or we can put it behind us for good. We decide our path.” – Carmen Harra
- Familial betrayal is, to me, the most heartbreaking kind – because if you can’t trust your family to love you and protect you, who can you really trust? – Alexandra Bracken
Short Betrayal Status Messages & Captions (Funny)
- “Zero tolerance for Betrayal.”
- “Surrounded by snakes and fakes.”
- “Loyalty is from above, betrayal is from below.” – Bob Sorge
- “Betrayal betrays the betrayer.”— Unknown
- “Every Betrayal begins with Trust.”— Unknown
- “The real betrayal is forgetting yourself.”— Unknown
- “You’re fluent in lies, excuses, and bullshit.”— Unknown
- “I hope karma slaps in your face before I do.”— Unknown
- “Silence is a true friend who never betrays.”— Unknown
- “All a man can betray is his conscience.” – Joseph Conrad
- “Betrayal is hard especially if you really trust him/her.”— Unknown
- “Better to be slapped with the truth than kissed with a lie.”— Russian Proverb
- “I’ve suffered betrayal with all five senses. For over a year.” ― Gillian Flynn, Gone Girl
Bible Verses about Betrayal
The Bible has several verses that discuss betrayal, whether directly or indirectly. Here are some Bible verses related to betrayal:
- Job 19:19 – My close friends detest me. Those I loved have turned against me.
- Job 19:13-14 – My relatives stay far away, and my friends have turned against me. My family is gone, and my close friends have forgotten me.
- Psalm 41:9 – Even my closest friend whom I trusted, the one who ate my bread, has lifted his heel against me.
- Proverbs 25:9-10 – Instead, take up the matter with your neighbor, and don’t betray another person’s confidence. Otherwise, anyone who hears will make you ashamed, and your bad reputation will never leave you.
- Matthew 26:48-50 – The traitor, Judas, had given them a prearranged signal: “You will know which one to arrest when I greet him with a kiss.” So Judas came straight to Jesus. “Greetings, Rabbi!” he exclaimed and gave him the kiss. Jesus said, “My friend, go ahead and do what you have come for.” Then the others grabbed Jesus and arrested him.
Macbeth’s Loyalty and Betrayal Quotes
184.108.40.206.2 Jacobean audiences would be shocked by this
What is Betrayal?
The word “betrayal” invariably brings to mind the premonitions of an illicit affair, but betrayal can literally come in many forms, and no matter how big or small, it can tear us apart.
Spreading fake rumors, cheating, abandoning, deception, treachery, lying, or someone who hurts you by putting their own self-interest first, are all forms of betraying.
What’s worse, we often seek emotional refuge in someone who has also been an accomplice in playing with our trust. Those devastating moments can only be empathized by an individual who has undergone similar experiences. However, you are always there to help yourself when you are being betrayed. These tips can help you overcome the bitter experience of being backstabbed.
Forgiveness is the Key – To Deal With Betrayal
It’s hard to accept but trust and betrayal are inevitable parts of our lives. If you are trapped in an excruciatingly painful situation, try to free yourself from the confines of anger and frustration. And this can’t be achieved until you learn to forgive.
Give up on the Negativity
If you have recently faced friendship betrayal, you must refrain from thoughts of self-loathing and retribution.
Most people are led into believing that they have to undergo betrayal in love owing to their misdeeds but this is not true. Do not hold on to anything that can offer you nothing more than pain and perplexity.
Confide in someone from your family. Remind yourself of one of the most famous betrayal quotes from “The Bishop’s Candlesticks” where the Bishop says “If people lie to me they are poorer, not I”.
So you are not wretched, unworthy or despicable by any means so set yourself free from such deceptive relationships that make you suffer from lack of self-esteem.
Looking for more such quotes?
- Read More;
- Jealousy Quotes
- Break-Up Quotes
- Selfish Friends Quotes
- Overcoming Pain Quotes
- Ego Quotes and Sayings
- Falling Out of Love Quotes
- Unrequited Love Quotes
- Cutting People Off Quotes
- Manipulative People Quotes
- Toxic People Quotes
Regardless of the tone, these quotes offer a way to understand and process the feelings of betrayal and can help to provide comfort and solace to those who are struggling with this difficult experience.
So, let us know which of these feeling-betrayed quotes you resonate the most with.
Feel free to share with friends and family on Facebook, Tumblr, Instagram, WhatsApp, Twitter, and more to motivate and uplift their mood every morning.