90 Ego Quotes About Pride, Arrogance & Self-Centeredness
Read the best collection of ego quotes, sayings, captions, status messages, and one-liners (with images and pictures) to enlighten you to let go of your ego in love, relationship, and life.
Ego is defined as your idea or opinion of yourself, especially your feeling of your own importance and ability.
Ego – “A person’s sense of self-esteem or self-importance.” It is an inflated feeling of superiority and pride to others and if ego is not controlled on time it can ruin the person’s life.
An egoist and people with big egos tend to hurt others with their behavior. They are too consumed with their own thoughts and happiness, which at times comes out in form of pride, self-obsession, or arrogance.
Many famous individuals have shared their perspectives on the nature of the ego, and their quotes offer insight into the ways in which this concept impacts our lives.
Also See: Ego Is The Enemy Quotes
Some of these quotes emphasize the importance of humility and self-awareness, while others suggest that a healthy dose of ego can be beneficial.
A big ego is your worst enemy at work, in relationships, and in other aspects of life.
When your success and pride go up your head you tend to become arrogant and over-confident which can ruin your life. You should always try and be humble and put your anger and ego aside.
Famous Ego Quotations and Sayings
Collection of the best Ego quotes by inspiring leaders, famous authors, celebrities, and interesting fictional characters which inspire us to lead a life without ego.
- “Is that you or your ego?”
- “In a war of ego, the loser always wins.” – Unknown
- “Food for the ego is poison for the soul.” ― Donna Goddard
- “Sometimes it’s not ego, its self-respect.” – Unknown
- “Too much ego will kill your talent.” – Unknown
- “Rule your mind or it will rule you.” –Buddha
- “Let go of your ego no matter how high you go.” – Unknown
- “When misunderstandings grow cut your ego.”
- “Big egos have little ears.” – Robert Schuller
- “Ego interrupts intuition.” – Danielle LaPorte
- “Conquer and tame the ego.” – Angelica Hopes
- “Ego is the biggest enemy of humans.” – Rig Veda
- “Your ego is your soul’s worst enemy.”- Rusty Eric
- “Too much ego will kill your talent.” – Anonymous
- The Ego’s job is to kill everything but itself. – Byron Katie
- “When the ego dies, the soul awakes.” – Mahatma Gandhi
- “The ego is not master in its own house.” – Sigmund Freud
- “Big egos are big shields for lots of empty space.” – Diana Black
- “My opponent is my teacher, my ego is my enemy.” – Renzo Gracie
- “A bad day for your ego is a great day for your soul.” – Jillian Michaels
- “Ego judges and punishes. Love forgives and heals.” – Anonymous
- “Ego is false confidence, self-respect is true confidence.” – Naval Ravikant
- “None are so empty as those who are full of themselves.” – Benjamin Whichcote
- “The Ego is a veil between humans and God. In prayer all are equal.” – Rumi
- “Letting go of your ego opens the door to take a new and creative course of action.”
- “The simplest definition of ego is that it destroys everything on its path.” – Unknown
- “The ego says: I’m still angry about yesterday, the spirit says: a new day, new attitude.”
- “You can either be a host to God or a hostage to your ego. It’s your call.” – Wayne Dyer
- “The ego seeks to divide and separate. Spirit seeks to unify and heal.” – Pema Chödrön
- “Ego is simply an idea of who you are that you carry around with you.” – Wayne Dyer
- “More the knowledge, lesser the ego. Lesser the knowledge, more the ego.” – Albert Einstein
- “The ego cannot live in the present, because the present is real and the ego is false – they never meet.” – Osho
- “The ultimate aim of the ego is not to see something but to be something.” – Muhammad Iqbal
- “Ego is one of the biggest weapons that is used to take us down. It’s self-destructive. It’s a problem on all levels – even regular people can have big ego problems.”- Yehuda Ber
- “The nice thing about egotists is that they don’t talk about other people.”- Lucille S. Harper
- “As you dissolve into love, your ego fades. You’re not thinking about loving; you’re just being love, radiating like the sun.”- Ram Dass
- “Your ego screams for people to acknowledge you. But you must do nothing. Take it. Eat it until you’re sick. Endure it. Quietly brush it off and work harder.” – Ryan Holiday (Ego Is The Enemy)
Short Ego Quotes (Words of Wisdom)
- “Ego is the enemy.” – Ryan Holiday
- “Outcomes over ego.” – Shane Parrish
- “Pride goes before destruction.”- Aesop
- “Gratitude is the sign of noble souls.” – Aesop
- “Starve your ego. Feed your soul.” – Unknown
- “Drop the ego and listen. Empathize.” –Naval Ravikant
- “Be capable of negating your ego.” – Robert Greene
- “Egotism sucks us down like the law of gravity.” – Cyril Connolly
- “Soar with wit. Conquer with dignity. Handle with care.” – Criss Jami
- “The ego is a veil between humans and God. In prayer all are equal.” – Rumi
Top 15 Ego Status Quotes for Whatsapp/Instagram
- “Egotism Is Contagious.”
- “Pride is a kind of ego booster.”
- “My ego is so well eliminated right now.”
- “You cannot mix love with ego nor with pride.”
- “Sometimes ego cause downfall in your life.”
- “Ego and pride are enough to ruin a relationship.”
- “Always give value to relationship over the ego.”
- “When things get complicated then know that is from ego.”
- “Put your ego aside and get embraced by poor and elderly people.”
- “People who don’t respect elderly and poor people, I think they got a big ego.”
- “Say no to Ego, If you have negative aspects of ego then battle it and defeat it.”
- “Put your ego aside and don’t get offended if someone is trying to correct you.”
- “Sometimes conditions happen like that you lose your ego or lose a friendship.”
- “Some people destroy their relationship just because they are not willing to put aside their ego.”
- “If, I am apologizing then this doesn’t mean that I am wrong but I am trying to find a way to save the relationship by putting aside my ego.”
Quotes About Getting Rid of Your Ego
These inspirational put your ego aside quotes and proverbs will enlighten you and encourage you to let go of your ego in your life to attain happiness, love, and success.
- “EGo – Remove the E and let it go…”
- “If you learn how to make fun of yourself, your ego will go down.”
- “Do things that feed your soul, not your ego and you will be happy.”
- “Ego is the great enemy. Ego will hold you back every single time.”
- “The more you dis-identify with your ego, the more complete is your freedom.” – The Ancient Sage
- “Cast out pride and vanity; have no thought of trying to rule over others or of outdoing them.” – Wallace D. Wattles
- “Kill the cow of your ego as quickly as you can, so that your inner spirit can come to life and attain true awareness.” – Rumi
- “Suffering has a noble purpose: the evolution of consciousness and the burning up of the ego.” – Eckhart Tolle
- “Fight your own pride and ego and be open-minded and always learning new techniques, new things from anyone.” – Sam Sheridan
- “Letting go of your ego opens the door to taking a new and creative course of action.” –Suzanne Mayo Frindt
- “Spiritual transcendence is transforming the rigid ego attachments into acceptance of self and others.” – Lynne Namka
- When ego is lost, limit is lost. You become infinite, kind, and beautiful. – Harbhajan Singh Yogi
10 Best Ego and Friendship Quotes
It often happens when you fight with your friends and you stop talking to them. There may be many reasons for it like a misunderstanding, betrayal, fear, or a feeling of being hurt.
But it is always advised to take a step forward by removing your ego, forgiving your friends, and be friends again. These quotes will surely make you realize the importance of friends.
- “Do not let your ego swell and disregard those who need your help.”
- “Ego has a voracious appetite, the more you feed it, the hungrier it gets.”
- “When there is a battle between Ego and Forgiveness, never let the ego win…!!”
- “There’s no one who can’t fight! There are only those who give up on fighting!”
- “Friendship warrants giving up the ego, submitting you to the other person, and remaining non-judgemental in the whole process.”
- “Don’t let your ego get in the way of goodness, Control your ego and emerge as a wonderful soul you’d feel whole.”
- “Life is not a contest of who is better than who. When you drop the ego, you will see that we are all on the same side.”
- “Let ego die and let love live. Ego kills but love heals. Let’s love, live, and heal. Surely life deserves the best.”
- “A simple apology could fix a friendship that shouldn’t have ended in the first place. Don’t let your ego stop you from doing what’s right.”
- “Where there is friendship Ego can’t survive but if the Ego hurts Friendship dies. Solution keep Ego far away from Friendship.”
- “EGO: three letters that hold you back from saying things your heart is dying to say like, I love you, I miss you and I am sorry.”
- “The ego is your enemy, not your friend. It is the ego that gives you wounds and hurts you. It is the ego that makes you violent, angry, jealous, and competitive. It is the ego that is continuously comparing and feeling miserable.” – Osho
- “Your ego seeks conflict; it loves nothing better than to win battles for you, sadly as it wins, you often lose respect and friendships. If you wish problems to persist, keep blaming everyone and everything but yourself, for he who persistently blames and criticise only fans the flames of hatred and controversy.”
Quotes on Ego in Relationships, Love, and Family
- “In the silence of our egos, we lost each other.” – Myra S.
- “In the battle of egos, both competitors lose.” – Robin Sharma
- “I long to escape the prison of my ego and lose myself in you.” – Rumi
- “People confuse ego, lust, insecurity with true love.” – Simon Cowell
- “Enlightenment is ego’s ultimate disappointment.” ― Chögyam Trungpa
- “Humility and pride will forever battle whenever or wherever love is concerned.” –Jeremy Aldana
- “Never allow your ego to diminish your ability to listen.” ― Gary Hopkins
- “When ego is in control it judges and punishes. But love forgives and heals.”- Angie Karan
- “A relationship never dies a natural death. It is always murdered by ego, attitude and ignorance.” – Srinivas Shenoy
- “You have no choice. You must leave your ego on the doorstep before you enter love.” – Kamand Kojouri
- “Apologizing does not always mean you are wrong, it just means that you value your relationship more than your ego.” – Unknown
- “If someone corrects you, and you feel offended, then you have an ego problem.” ― Nouman Ali Khan
- “The bigger your heart, the more you love, the more you control your life. The bigger your ego, the more you’re scared, the more others control your life.” – Maxime Lagacé
- “Avoid having your ego so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego goes with it.” ― Colin Powell
- “Drop jealousy and love wells up. Jealousy means that I am the owner. It is an ego trip, and wherever there is ego there is poison, and the poison kills the very source of love.” – Osho
- “Nobody sees anybody truly but all through the flaws of their own egos.” – Tennessee Williams
- “Love means to reach for the sky and with every breath to tear a hundred veils. Love means to step away from the ego, to open the eyes of inner vision and not to take this world so seriously.” – Rumi
Ego Quotes About Arrogance, Self-Obsession, Narcissism
- “People that put themselves above others will fall longer and harder.” – Gina Lindley
- “Proud people breed sad sorrows for themselves.” – Proud people breed sad sorrows for themselves.” – Emily Brontë
- “The ego is the false self-born out of fear and defensiveness.” ― John O’Donohue
- “In all that surrounds him the egotist sees only the frame of his own portrait.” – J. Petit-Senn
- “If you get your ego in your way, you will only look to other people and circumstances to blame.” – Jocko Willink
- “Withhold admiration from a narcissist and be disliked. Give it and be treated with indifference.” – Mason Cooley
- “The narcissist devours people, consumes their output, and casts the empty, writhing shells aside.” – Sam Vaknin
- “Every ego wants to be special. If it can’t be special by being superior to others, it’s also quite happy with being especially miserable.” – Eckhart Tolle
- “Pride gets no pleasure out of having something, only out of having more of it than the next man… It is the comparison that makes you proud: the pleasure of being above the rest. Once the element of competition is gone, pride is gone.” – C.S. Lewis
- “The weak are dominated by their ego, the wise dominate their ego, and the intelligent are in a constant struggle against their ego.” ― Hamza Yusuf
Bible Verses/Quotes about Pride and Ego
- Proverbs 16:18 – Pride goes before destruction, And a haughty spirit before stumbling.
- Proverbs 29:23 – One’s pride will bring him low, but he who is lowly in spirit will obtain honor.
- Colossians 4:6 – Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person.
- James 4:6 – But he gives more grace. Therefore it says, “God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble.”
- Proverbs 11:2 – When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with the humble is wisdom.
- Psalm 10:4 – In the pride of his face the wicked does not seek him; all his thoughts are, “There is no God.”
Funny and Witty Ego Sayings
- Ego trip: a journey to nowhere. – Robert Half
- “If I only had a little humility, I would be perfect.” – Ted Turner
- “I have an ego the size of a small planet.” – Linus Torvalds (Linux)
- “Show me someone without an ego, and I’ll show you a loser.” – Donald Trump
- Egoist: a person of low taste, more interested in himself than me. – Ambrose Bierce
- “Pride was the belt you used to hold your pants up when you had no pants.” – Stephen King
- “The last time I saw him he was walking down lover’s lane holding his own hand.” – Fred Allen
- “There are two kinds of egotists: Those who admit it, and the rest of us.” – Laurence J. Peter
- “When someone sings his own praises, he always gets the tune too high.” – Mary H. Waldrip
- “If there’s anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now. ” – Douglas Adams
What are Ego Quotes
- “It’s the sense of superiority and certainty that exceeds the bounds of confidence and talent.” – Ryan Holiday
- “All ego really is, is our opinions, which we take to be solid, real, and the absolute truth about how things are.” – Pema Chödrön
- “The ego is only an illusion, but a very influential one. Letting the ego illusion become your identity can prevent you from knowing your true self.” – Wayne Dyer
- “Your ego is your self-image created by thought. It’s your social mask requiring validation because it lives in fear of losing its sense of identity.” – Thibaut
- “To me, the ego is the habitual and compulsive thought processes that go through everybody’s mind continuously. External things like possessions or memories or failures or successes or achievements. Your personal history.” – Eckhart Tolle
- “As the ego becomes strong it starts surrounding intelligence like a thick layer of darkness. Intelligence is light, ego is darkness. Intelligence is very delicate, ego is very hard. Intelligence is like a rose flower, ego is like a rock.” Osho
Self Respect Vs. Ego
Ego refers to an individual’s sense of self-importance and can often lead to a self-centered or narcissistic attitude.
It can be driven by a need for recognition, validation, or power, and can often be fragile and easily threatened.
Ego can cause individuals to prioritize their own interests and desires over those of others and can lead to negative behaviors such as arrogance, defensiveness, and aggression.
On the other hand, self-respect refers to an individual’s sense of self-worth and value, regardless of external factors such as recognition or validation from others.
It is rooted in a deep understanding of one’s own values, beliefs, and capabilities, and is not dependent on others’ opinions or actions.
Self-respect involves treating oneself with kindness, compassion, and dignity, as well as respecting others and their boundaries.
More Motivational Quotes
Let us know how did you find our collection of inspirational, deep, and funny ego quotes, sayings, and ego proverbs, (with images and pictures) collected over the years from a variety of sources.#Egoquotes
If you are motivated by these wise words of wisdom, feel free to spread the positive vibes and share them with friends and family on Pinterest, Facebook, Tumblr, Instagram, Twitter, and more.
If we have missed some quotes, share them with us in the comment section below and we shall be happy to add them to the list.