Joseph Goebbels was a key architect of Nazi propaganda during World War II, serving as Minister of Propaganda for the German Third Reich under Adolf Hitler. He was best known for presenting a favorable image of the Nazi regime to the German people. Here are the best Joseph Goebbels quotes from the right-hand man of Adolf Hitler.
Goebbels as chief propagandist, played a vital role in shaping public opinion and circulating propaganda that supported the Nazi ideology.
He skillfully used the national press and various media platforms, including newspapers, radio, and film, to control information, accuse Jews, and manipulate the public in favor of the Nazi regime’s agenda.
Goebbels was the defender of the big lie, exploiting fear and using the media effectively to maintain control. He was a master at promoting anti-Semitic sentiments, spreading fake news, and making people believe that Hitler was a hero.
Throughout World War II, Goebbels played a pivotal role in organizing the German population for the war effort and maintaining high spirits even when they were losing.
Goebbels remained loyal to Hitler even after the war turned against Germany. After a day of Hitler’s suicide, he and his wife, Magda Goebbels poisoned their six children and took their own lives.
These famous Joseph Goebbels quotes from the man whose legacy stands as a reminder of the dangers of manipulative and deceptive narratives and the need to safeguard the truth in all situations.
Top 10 Joseph Goebbels Quotes
- “If you tell a lie, tell a big one.” — Joseph Goebbels
- “You have nothing to fear, if you have nothing to hide.” — Joseph Goebbels
- “The masses need something that will give them a thrill of horror.” — Joseph Goebbels
- “Think of the press as a great keyboard on which the government can play.” — Joseph Goebbels
- “During a war, news should be given out for instruction rather than information.” — Joseph Goebbels
- “We shall go down in history as the greatest statesmen of all time, or as the greatest criminals.” — Joseph Goebbels
- “If we have power, we’ll never give it up again unless we’re carried out of our offices as corpses.” — Joseph Goebbels
- “If you repeat a lie often enough, people will believe it, and you will even come to believe it yourself.” — Joseph Goebbels
- “The English follow the principle that when one lies, it should be a big lie, and one should stick to it.” — Joseph Goebbels
- “There will come a day, when all the lies will collapse under their own weight, and truth will again triumph.” — Joseph Goebbels
Best Joseph Goebbels Quotes
- “Man only honors what he conquers or defends.” — Joseph Goebbels
- “A media system wants ostensible diversity that conceals an actual uniformity.” — Joseph Goebbels
- “A lie told once remains a lie but a lie told a thousand times becomes the truth.” — Joseph Goebbels
- “It is the absolute right of the State to supervise the formation of public opinion.” — Joseph Goebbels
- “As socialists, we are opponents of the Jews, because we see in the Hebrews the incarnation of capitalism, of the misuse of the nation’s goods.” — Joseph Goebbels
- “Not every item of news should be published. Rather must those who control news policies endeavor to make every item of news serve a certain purpose.” — Joseph Goebbels
- “Whoever can conquer the street will one day conquer the state, for every form of power politics and any dictatorship-run state has its roots in the street.” — Joseph Goebbels
- “We shall reach our goal, when we have the power to laugh as we destroy, as we smash, whatever was sacred to us as tradition, as education, and as human affection.” — Joseph Goebbels
- “The money pigs of capitalist democracy: Money has made slaves of us. Money is the curse of mankind. It smothers the seed of everything great and good. Every penny is sticky with sweat and blood.” — Joseph Goebbels
- “A Jew is for me an object of disgust. I feel like vomiting when I see one. Christ could not possibly have been a Jew. It is not necessary to prove that scientifically – it is a fact. I do not need to prove this with science or scholarship. It is so!” — Joseph Goebbels
Joseph Goebbels Quotes On Propaganda
- “We have made the Reich by propaganda.” — Joseph Goebbels
- “There is no need for propaganda to be rich in intellectual content.” — Joseph Goebbels
- “It is not propaganda’s task to be intelligent, its task is to lead to success.” — Joseph Goebbels
- “Propaganda must facilitate the displacement of aggression by specifying the targets for hatred.” — Joseph Goebbels
- “Propaganda works best when those who are being manipulated are confident they are acting on their own free will.” — Joseph Goebbels
- “…the rank and file are usually much more primitive than we imagine. Propaganda must therefore always be essentially simple and repetitious.” — Joseph Goebbels
- “The essence of propaganda consists in winning people over to an idea so sincerely, so vitally, that in the end they succumb to it utterly and can never escape from it.” — Joseph Goebbels
- “That propaganda is good which leads to success, and that is bad which fails to achieve the desired result. It is not propaganda’s task to be intelligent, its task is to lead to success.” — Joseph Goebbels
- “This is the secret of propaganda: Those who are to be persuaded by it should be completely immersed in the ideas of the propaganda, without ever noticing that they are being immersed in it.” — Joseph Goebbels
- “The most brilliant propagandist technique will yield no success unless one fundamental principle is borne in mind constantly – it must confine itself to a few points and repeat them over and over.” — Joseph Goebbels
Famous Joseph Goebbels Quotes
- “If you tell a lie long enough, it becomes the truth.” — Joseph Goebbels
- “Intellectual activity is a danger to the building of character.” — Joseph Goebbels
- “If you repeat a lie often enough it becomes accepted as truth.” — Joseph Goebbels
- “A law against hating Jews is usually the beginning of the end for the Jews.” — Joseph Goebbels
- “Faith moves mountains, but only knowledge moves them to the right place.” — Joseph Goebbels
- “In the newspapers there is insulting and stirring up hatred. Those irresponsible daubers!” — Joseph Goebbels
- “To be a socialist is to submit the I to the thou; socialism is sacrificing the individual to the whole.” — Joseph Goebbels
- “Do not seek Adolf Hitler with your mind. You will find him through the strength of your hearts.” — Joseph Goebbels
- “The English follow the principle that when one lies, one should lie big, and stick to it. They keep up their lies, even at the risk of looking ridiculous.” — Joseph Goebbels
- “If the day should ever come when we must go, if some day we are compelled to leave the scene of history, we will slam the door so hard that the universe will shake and mankind will stand back in stupefaction.” — Joseph Goebbels
Quotes By Joseph Goebbels
- “If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it.” — Joseph Goebbels
- “My Party is my church, and I believe I serve the Lord best if I do his will, and liberate my oppressed people from the fetters of slavery. That is my gospel.” — Joseph Goebbels
- “It would not be impossible to prove with sufficient repetition and a psychological understanding of the people concerned that a square is in fact a circle. They are mere words, and words can be molded until they clothe ideas and disguise.” — Joseph Goebbels
- “We enter parliament in order to supply ourselves, in the arsenal of democracy, with its own weapons. If democracy is so stupid as to give us free tickets and salaries for this bear’s work, that is its affair. We do not come as friends, nor even as neutrals. We come as enemies. As the wolf bursts into the flock, so we come.” — Joseph Goebbels
- “Good propaganda does not need to lie, indeed it may not lie. It has no reason to fear the truth. It is a mistake to believe that people cannot take the truth. They can. It is only a matter of presenting the truth to people in a way that they will be able to understand. A propaganda that lies proves that it has a bad cause. It cannot be successful in the long run.” — Joseph Goebbels
- “There was no point in seeking to convert the intellectuals. For intellectuals would never be converted and would anyway always yield to the stronger, and this will always be “the man in the street.” Arguments must therefore be crude, clear and forcible, and appeal to emotions and instincts, not the intellect. Truth was unimportant and entirely subordinate to tactics and psychology.” — Joseph Goebbels
What are your favorite Joseph Goebbels quotes and sayings listed above? If there is a quote that we’ve missed then let us know in the comments section what your thoughts are.
So, feel free to share with friends and family on Facebook, Tumblr, Twitter, Instagram, WhatsApp, and more.