Dealing with anger issues? These inspirational anger quotes and sayings will help you control your emotions and tame your temper.
Anger is one of the many emotions humans are endowed with. Being angry is a natural reaction where you express your displeasure, hurt, or resentment.
But when does being angry becomes a problem?
When anger gets out of control and harms you or people around you then you should know how to check your temper.
Not everyone expresses anger in the same way. Some get aggressive, some are silent and some totally lose it.
Reacting in anger and rage is not a wise thing to do not only for others but for your own mental health as well.
We all get upset over things, but we can always choose our reactions to them.
But then, I realized anger got the worst of me. It is a destructive emotion that always does more harm than good.
With meditation and self-control techniques, I learned to calm down my anger issues.
These insightful quotes about anger by famous leaders, celebrities, and personalities, are great reminders of how you can control your anger.
Top 10 Quotes About Anger
- “Anger is a short madness.”- Horace
- “The best fighter is never angry.” – Lao Tzu
- “Whatever begun in anger ends in shame.” – Benjamin Franklin
- “Men in rage strike those that wish them best.” – William Shakespeare
- “Anger is the feeling that makes your mouth work faster than your mind.” – Evan Esar
- “You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger.” – Buddha
- “People won’t have time for you if you are always angry or complaining.” – Stephen Hawking
- “Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret.” – Ambrose Bierce
- “For every minute you remain angry, you give up sixty seconds of peace of mind.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “Do not let your anger lead to hatred, as you will hurt yourself more than you would the other.” – Stephen Richards
- “Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured.” – Mark Twain
Best Anger Quotes To Calm You Down
- “Expressing anger is necessary.” – Jenny Holzer
- “Angry people are not always wise.” – Jane Austen
- “Anger is the punishment we give ourselves for someone else’s mistake.” – Buddha
- “Great anger and violence can never build a nation.” – Nelson Mandela
- “The anger of the prudent never shows.”- Burmese Proverb
- “He who angers you conquers you.”- Elizabeth Kenny
- “Where there is anger there is always pain underneath.” – Eckhart Tolle
- “Anger dwells only in the bosom of fools.”- Albert Einstein
- “Anger does not solve anything; it builds nothing.” – Thomas S. Monson
- “You always forgive the ones you love, no matter how angry you are.” – Unknown
- “Anger is what makes a clear mind seem clouded.”- Kazi Shams
- “Anger is never without a reason, but seldom with a good one.” – Benjamin Franklin
- “Do not be quickly provoked in your spirit, for anger resides in the lap of fools.” – Ecclesiastes 7:9
- “There are two things a person should never be angry at, what they can help, and what they cannot.” – Plato
- “Anger makes you smaller, while forgiveness forces you to grow beyond what you are.” – Cherie Carter-Scott
- “If you try to get rid of fear and anger without knowing their meaning, they will grow stronger and return.” – Deepak Chopra
- “Generally speaking, if a human being never shows anger, then I think something’s wrong. He’s not right in the brain.” – Dalai Lama
- “If we wish to express anger fully, the first step is to divorce the other person from any responsibility for our anger.” – Marshall Rosenberg
- “Neurologist claim that every time you resist acting on your anger, you’re actually rewiring your brain to be calmer and more loving.” – Unknown
- “Never respond to an angry person with a fiery comeback, even if he deserves it… Don’t allow his anger to become your anger.” – Bohdi Sanders
- “Anger is like a storm rising up from the bottom of your consciousness. When you feel it coming, turn your focus to your breath.” – Thich Nhat Hanh
- “Anybody can become angry – that is easy, but to be angry with the right person and to the right degree and at the right time and for the right purpose, and in the right way – that is not within everybody’s power and is not easy.” – Aristotle
Feeling Angry Quotations
Reacting in anger is never a wise thing to do. Regardless of how to choose to express our anger, we should always recognize and acknowledge it rather than suppress it.
You can hurt people with your angry words, expressions, and actions. So always be careful before reacting in anger as this negative emotion is quite destructive in itself.
These thought-provoking quotes about anger can teach us how to manage this strong emotion in a healthy and productive way.
- “Get mad, then get over it.” – Colin Powell
- “Poetry = Anger x Imagination” – Sherman Alexie
- “Sometimes I’m just not in the mood to talk.” – Unknown
- “A heart filled with anger has no room for love.” – Joan Lunden
- “Anger: when reality and expectations don’t fit.” – Maxime Lagacé
- “In anger, we should refrain both from speech and action.” – Pythagoras
- “Never be angry with something that can’t get angry with you.” – Jack Gardner
- “Anger solves nothing it only puts up your blood pressure.” – Catherine Pulsifer
- “There’s nothing wrong with anger provided you use it constructively.” – Wayne Dyer
- “Fools give full vent to their rage, but the wise bring calm in the end.” – Proverbs 29:11
- “When angry count to ten before you speak. If very angry, count to one hundred.” – Thomas Jefferson
- “Remember Grace, if you let anger into your heart, it will push out your ability to love.” – Bree Despain
- “Bitterness is like cancer. It eats upon the host. But anger is like fire. It burns it all clean.” – Maya Angelou
- “Anger is a valid emotion. It’s only bad when it takes control and makes you do things you don’t want to do.” – Ellen Hopkins
- “Anger is our unconsciousness’s fastest way to let us know that our boundaries are being stepped on.” – Wendy Hammond
- “To be angry is to revenge the faults of others on ourselves.”- Alexander Pope
- “Once you recognize that anger brings you nothing but internal emotional stress, you are ready to move forward with a more clearly defined positive action.” – Catherine Pulsifer
- “Anger is just anger. It isn’t good. It isn’t bad. It just is. What you do with it is what matters. It’s like anything else. You can use it to build or to destroy. You just have to make the choice.” – Jim Butcher
- “The man who gives way to anger, or hatred, or any other passion, cannot work; he only breaks himself to pieces, and does nothing practical. It is the calm, forgiving, equable, well- balanced mind that does the greatest amount of work.” – Swami Vivekanada
- “In modern society, anger is the emotion that is disapproved of the very most. It is so disapproved of that if someone gets angry, people do not see it as an emotion that the person is experiencing and expressing. People see it as a character or personality defect instead.” – Teal Swan
Famous Quotes On Anger
- “Anger can be an expensive luxury.” – Italian Proverb
- “Anger manages everything badly.” – Johannes Stadius
- “Anger could be a gift only if it’s used wisely.” – Dido Stargaze
- “A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.” – Solomon
- “A man is about as big as the things that make him angry.” – Winston Churchill
- “Never forget what a man says to you when he is angry.” – Henry Ward Beecher
- “In days that follow, I discover that anger is easier to handle than grief.” – Emily Giffin
- “It’s a lot easier to be angry at someone than it is to tell them you’re hurt.” – Tom Gates
- “Never make a decision in anger and never make a promise in happiness.” – Ali ibn Abi Talib
- “Just as the winds whip up the sea, so does anger stir confusion in the mind.” – John Climacus
- “The angriest person in a controversy is the one most liable to be in the wrong.” – John Tillotson
- “How much more grievous are the consequences of anger than the causes of it.” – Marcus Aurelius
- “The fiercest anger of all, the most incurable, is that which rages in the place of dearest love.” – Euripides
- “If we could learn even a little to like ourselves, maybe our cruelties and angers might melt away.” – John Steinbeck
- “Angry people want you to see how powerful they are… loving people want you to see how powerful You are.” – Chief Red Eagle
- “Anger expressed in a healthy and positive way means that we channel emotional anger towards resolution not attack.” – Byron R. Pulsifer
- “A moment of anger can destroy a lifetime of work, whereas a moment of love can break barriers that took a lifetime to build.” – Leon Brown
- “At the core of all anger is a need that is not being fulfilled.”- Marshall B. Rosenberg
- “Anger doesn’t demand action. When you act in anger, you lose self-control.”- Joe Hyams
- “The more anger towards the past you carry in your heart, the less capable you are of loving in the present.”- Barbara De Angelis
Positive Anger Quotes To Control Your Temper
When angry and in rage, then we tend to lose our minds and act impulsively. We lose control over our thoughts and actions as it is difficult to think clearly and make rational decisions.
To control your anger always take time to understand and calm down before you react. In this way, you won’t regret anything you say or do in a fit of rage.
By acknowledging and expressing these emotions, individuals can take the first step towards healing and letting go of resentment.
With positive anger management techniques like meditation, deep breathing, talking to a trusted friend or simply journaling your feelings will help you channel your strong emotions and will help you relax.
- “When anger rises, think of the consequences.” – Confucius
- “Anger is only one letter short of danger.” – Unknown
- “The best way to deal with anger is to prevent it.” – Dalai Lama XIV
- “If a man be under the influence of anger, his conduct will not be correct.” – Confucius
- “When you hold on to anger and unforgiveness, you can’t move forward.” – Mary J. Blige
- “What is bitterly done in uncontrolled anger cannot be undone.” – Vinod Varghese Antony
- “Let us not look back in anger, nor forward in fear, but around in awareness.” – James Thurber
- “Be angry, and yet do not sin; do not let the sun go down on your anger.” – Henry Ward Beecher
- “Don’t hold to anger, hurt or pain. They steal your energy and keep you from love.” – Leo Buscaglia
- “I believe that things should be let go once they are discussed. Apology accepted. End of story.” – Brad Goreski
- “The more anger towards the past you carry in your heart, the less capable you are of loving in the present.” – Barbara De Angelis
- “Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.” – Buddha
- “It is wise to direct your anger towards problems — not people; to focus your energies on answers — not excuses.” – William Arthur Ward
- “Being unable to control your temper is no less of an illness than being anxious or depressed, and it deserves every bit as much sympathy.” – John Crawford
- “Letting go gives us freedom, and freedom is the only condition for happiness. If, in our heart, we still cling to anything—anger, anxiety, or possessions—we cannot be free.” – Thich Nhat Hanh
Quotes On Anger And Hurt To Help You Relax
We often see that getting angry is a be a form of defense mechanism.
Thus it is very important to address your feelings and understand the underlying reasons to manage those emotions in a healthier way.
- “Anger makes us feel so isolated.” – Fred Rogers
- “Anger is a choice, not a condition.” – Gary Chapman
- “When angry, count four. When very angry, swear.” – Mark Twain
- “An angry man opens his mouth and shuts his eyes.” – Cato the Elder
- “If you want to conquer the anger of others, live with them.” – Epictetus
- “Anger is an energy that can be used for positive change.” – Russell Eric Dobda
- “Tears of despair can be fuel. Thunders of anger can be light.” – Maxime Lagacé
- “To remove your anger, you need to remove your comfort.” – P.S. Jagadeesh Kumar
- “An angry man is again angry with himself when he returns to reason.” – Publilius Syrus
- “One’s anger is one’s greatest enemy and one’s calmness is one’s protection.” – Sathya Sai Baba
- “Sometimes, it took seconds to control your anger, only to avoid the state of eternal feud.” – Toba Beta
- “Everyone asks how to deal with anger when it arises. No one asks how to prevent anger from arising.” – James Pierce
- “Most misunderstandings in the world c
- “The opposite of anger is not calmness, its empathy.”- Mehmet Oz
- “The best remedy for a short temper is a long walk.”- Dr. Jacqueline Schiff
- “Man should forget his anger before he lies down to sleep.”- Mahatma Gandhi
- “Every time you get angry, you poison your own system.”- Alfred A. Montapert
- “Anger … it’s a paralyzing emotion … you can’t get anything done.”- Toni Morrison
- “I would not look upon anger as something foreign to me that I have to fight… I have to deal with my anger with care, with love, with tenderness, with nonviolence.” – Thich Nhat Hanh
Anger Quotes About Life
- “When you are angry, Be silent.” – Unknown
- “Getting angry doesn’t solve anything.” – Grace Kelly
- “Never go to bed mad. Stay up and fight.” – Phyllis Diller
- “Let your love be stronger than your hate or anger.” – Jane Wells
- “If people keep stepping on you, wear a pointy hat.” – Joyce Rachelle
- “I’m an Angry Bird to those never understand my worth.” – Unknown
- “Anger is a wind that blows out the lamp of the mind.” – Robert G. Ingersoll
- “Anger doesn’t solve anything. It builds nothing, but it can destroy everything.” – Unknown
- “Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die.” – Buddha
- “If you are patient in one moment of anger, you will escape a hundred days of sorrow.” – Chinese Proverb
- “Don’t waste your time in anger, regrets, worries and grudges. Life is too short to be unhappy.” – Roy T. Bennett
- “You cannot see your reflection in boiling water. Similarly, you cannot see truth in a state of anger.” – Unknown
- “If you care about the relationship, cool down before you speak. Because when you blurt, you hurt.” – Unknown
- “Anger is like a flame blazing up and consuming our self-control, making us think, say, and do things that we will probably regret later.” – Nhat Hanh
Controlling Anger Quotes To Help You Calm Down
- “The greatest remedy for anger is delay.” – Thomas Paine
- “Anger blows out the lamp of the mind.” – Robert G. Ingersoll
- “A grudge is like being stung to death by one bee.” – William Walton
- “Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” – Yoda
- “An action committed in anger is an action doomed to failure.” – Genghis Khan
- “Don’t be angry with people who don’t have the capacity to change.” – Unknown
- “The smarter you get, the more you realize anger is not worth it.” – Maxime Lagacé
- “A quick temper will make a fool of you soon enough.”- Bruce Lee
- “If you don’t control your temper. Your temper will control you.”- Stephen King
- “Never do anything when you are in a temper, for you will do everything wrong.” – Baltasar Gracian
- “Anger, resentment, and jealousy don’t change the heart of others—it only changes yours.” – Shannon Alder
- “When you want to become free, your righteousness and anger are much less interesting than they used to be.” – Ram Dass
- “Holding on to anger, resentment, and hurt only gives you tense muscles, a headache and a sore jaw from clenching your teeth. Forgiveness gives you back the laughter and the lightness in your life.” – Joan Lunden
- “Learn this from me. Holding anger is poison. It eats you from the inside. We think that hating is a weapon that attacks the person who harmed us. But hatred is a curved blade. And the harm we do, we do to ourselves.” – Mitch Album
More Inspirational Quotes
If you think you can relate to these uplifting quotes feel free to spread your feelings and share them with friends and family on Pinterest, Facebook, Tumblr, Instagram, Twitter, and more.
Which is your favorite compromise quote? If we have missed some quotes, share them with us in the comment section below and we shall be happy to add them to the list.