Are you tired of holding on to resentment? These inspirational resentment quotes and sayings will help you to let go of bitter feelings and forgive those who have hurt you.
Resentment is a common feeling that we all undergo at some point in life. The underlying emotion behind being resentful may be hurt, anger, bitterness, or disappointment because of a person or an event.
Also Check: Bitter People Quotes
We all are hurt by people we know and that sometimes really hurts. Especially when it comes from a person from whom it is not expected.
We feel angry or really disappointed when someone treats us in an unjust manner.
But have you ever thought about how resentment helps you?
Sometimes it may be hard for you to let go of the feeling of resentment and anger.
You may develop a grievance against the person who has hurt you or you may want to take revenge on that person.
But clinging onto the feeling of hurt will just have a negative impact on your mind.
The right solution for resentment is to let go of those harsh feelings and try to forgive the person who has hurt or done wrong to you.
Forgiving people and moving on is the key to achieving happiness and peace of mind.
If you having trouble forgiving a person then these insightful quotes on resentment can be a powerful motivator to help you heal from your past wounds and move on in life.
Top 10 Resentment Quotes
- “Expectations are resentments waiting to happen.” – Anne Lamott
- “Those who are free of resentful thoughts surely find peace.” – Buddha
- “The resentment of a good man is the hardest thing to bear.” – Publilius Syrus
- “A coach is someone who can give correction without causing resentment.” – John Wooden
- “Resentment is like drinking poison and waiting for the other person to die.” – Saint Augustine
- “Resentment is ANGER directed at others–at what they did or did not do.” – Peter McWilliams
- “Resentment can make you bitter rather than encouraging you to be your best.” – Frank Sonnenberg
- “Nothing on earth consumes a man more quickly than the passion of resentment.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
- “The final proof of greatness lies in being able to endure criticism without resentment.” – Elbert Hubbard
- “A long-simmering resentment against the world can burn off more calories than you might imagine.” – Paul Russell
Best Quotes On Resentment
- “Resentment is weak and lowers your self-esteem.” – Barbara Sher
- “Resentment always hurts you more than it does the person you resent.” – Rick Warren
- “Resentment is an extremely bitter diet, I have no desire to make my own toxins.” – Neil Kinnock
- “Resentment is like drinking poison and then hoping it will kill your enemies.” – Nelson Mandela
- “The worst resentment that anybody can have is one you feel justified to keep.” – Louis Gossett, Jr.
- “As smoking is to the lungs, so is resentment to the soul; even one puff is bad for you.” – Elizabeth Gilbert
- “Anger, resentment, and jealousy don’t change the heart of others – it only changes yours.” – Shannon Alder
- “Frankly, many times, the people that we resent either have no idea about it or could care less.” – Taite Adams
- “Bitterness and resentment only hurt one person, and it’s not the person we’re resenting – it’s us.” – Alana Stewart
- “Resentment and bitterness and old grudges were dead things, which rotted the hands that grasped them.” – Winston Graham
- “Resentment is like setting yourself on fire and waiting for other people to die of smoke inhalation.” – Diane Cameron
- “Instead of wasting my energy on hate and resentment, I’d rather invest my energy in love and contentment.” – Karen Salmansohn
- “What we don’t recognize is that holding onto resentment is like holding onto your breath. You’ll soon start to suffocate.” – Deepak Chopra
- “Let go of resentment for it will hold you back. Do not worry about what could have been, what is to come is what matters.” – Leon Brown
- “The elimination diet: Remove anger, regret, resentment, guilt, blame and worry. Then, watch your health and life improve.” – Charles F. Glassman
Inspirational Quotes About Resentment
- “Whatever is begun in anger ends in shame.” – Benjamin Franklin
- “Gratitude is the antidote to bitterness and resentment.” – M. J. Ryan
- “Resentment is a deadly virus that only infects the host.” – Debasish Mridha
- “Resentment and bitterness build the cage that only punishes ourselves.” – Jeffrey Fry
- “Resentment is a poison that eats away at your bones and corrodes your heart.” – Unknown
- “Weigh the true advantages of forgiveness and resentment to the heart. Then choose.” – Gautama Buddha
- “Resentment, born of weakness, harms no one more than the weak person himself.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
- “Without forgiveness, life is governed by… an endless cycle of resentment and retaliation.” – Roberto Assagioli
- “CHANGE is not easy. But remaining in a constant state of grief, heartache and resentment is harder.” – Unknown
- “The heart is like a garden. It can grow compassion or fear, resentment or love. What seeds will you plant there?” – Jack Kornfield
- “Resentment is an emotion based on some kind of a bond, and its next stages are feelings of unfamiliarity and indifference.” – Ch’oe Yun
- “Non-expectation, non-acceptance because the expectation leads to resentment and depression, so I have no expectations.” – Anthony Hopkins
- “Strength of character means the ability to overcome resentment against others, to hide hurt feelings, and to forgive quickly.” – Lawrence G. Lovasik
- “I think that burnout happens because of resentment. That notion that, ‘I worked 100 hours last week, and I couldn’t even have this thing that I really wanted.’” – Marissa Mayer
- “Anger will never disappear so long as thoughts of resentment are cherished in the mind. Anger will disappear just as soon as thoughts of resentment are forgotten.” – John Dryden
Resentment Quotes On Forgiveness
- “Simmering resentment saps energy.” – Nido R Qubein
- “The best treatment for a virus called resentment is forgiveness.” – Debasish Mridha
- “Forgiveness gives you back the laughter and the lightness in your life.” – Joan Lunden
- “I feel like unforgiveness, bitterness and resentment, it blocks the flows of God’s blessings in life.” – Ja Rule
- “Despite what some would have us believe, success is not built on resentment and fear.” – Susana Martinez
- “Hope makes people good, a lot of the time. You hope for a brighter future, and resentment is outweighed.” – Daisy Ridley
- “A life lived mired in resentment is one that is lived primarily in the past and this is never one that is filled with joy.” – Taite Adams
- “Forgiveness is a gift we give ourselves that allows us to get on with our lives instead of being trapped in the past by resentment.” – Rick Warren
- “Forgive those who insult you, attack you, belittle you or take you for granted. But more than this forgive yourself for allowing them to hurt you.” – Unknown
- “The truth is, unless you let go, unless you forgive yourself, unless you forgive the situation, unless you realize that the situation is over, you cannot move forward.” – Steve Maraboli
- “Never allow sick attitudes to poison your thinking, nor let ill will make you ill. Avoid making your mind sore by that painful rehurting called resentment.” – Norman Vincent Peale
- “Resentment or grudges do no harm to the person against whom you hold these feelings but every day and every night of your life, they are eating at you.” – Norman Vincent Peale
- “Forgiveness is the key that unlocks the door of resentment and the handcuffs of hatred. It is a power that breaks the chains of bitterness and the shackles of selfishness.” – Corrie Ten Boom
- “When you hold resentment toward another, you are bound to that person or condition by an emotional link that is stronger than steel. Forgiveness is the only way to dissolve that link and get free.” – Catherine Ponder
- “Forgiveness. It’s one of the greatest gifts you can give yourself, to forgive. Forgive everybody. You are relieved of carrying that burden of resentment. You really are lighter. You feel lighters. You just drop that.” – Maya Angelou
Resentment In Life Quotes
Resentment can build up over time if the issue is not addressed, and it can damage the trust and intimacy in the relationship.
If you are feeling resentful in your relationship, it is important to communicate your feelings with your partner and work together to resolve any underlying issues and conflicts.
These inspirational quotations on being resentful will only inspire you to talk out the issues and practice forgiveness to let go of the burden of past actions.
- “People carry around resentment for years! And that creates daily stress.” – Gabrielle Bernstein
- “Because when there is true equality, resentment does not exist.” – Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
- “Once you get to a certain age, if you have resentment towards people, it only affects you.” – Slowthai
- “His love for her was so deeply woven with resentment that he could not untangle the two.” – Kim Edwards
- “Any act of violence creates resentment and resistance, because humans were meant to be free.” – Bryant H. McGill
- “Bitterness and resentment make it hard even for the people who love you to be around you.” – Martha Bodyfelt
- “When a man feel the reprehension of a friend seconded by his own heart, he is easily heated into resentment.” – Samuel Johnson
- “Resentment is often a woman’s inner signal that she has been ignoring an important God-given responsibility – that of making choices.” – Brenda Waggoner
- “Never hold resentments for the person who tells you what you need to hear; count them among your truest, most caring, and valuable friends.” – Mike Norton
- “To bear all kinds of tortures without a murmur of resentment is not possible for a human being without the strength that comes from God.” – Mahatma Gandhi
- “Resentment is such an atrocious and sometimes all-consuming emotion. It is one that can literally take a life, usually that of the holder of the resentment.” – Robert Boich
- “Holding a grudge & harboring anger/resentment is poison to the soul. Get even with people … but not those who have hurt us, forget them, instead get even with those who have helped us.” – Steve Maraboli
- “Many people seem to be carrying their anger and resentment wherever they go like an overstuffed suitcase. It is baggage that weighs them down and demands considerable attention and energy.” – Dan Mager
- “Holding on to anger, resentment and hurt only gives you tense muscles, a headache and a sore jaw from clenching your teeth. Forgiveness gives you back the laughter and the lightness in your life.” – Joan Lunden
- “Resentment is a mental resistance to, a non-acceptance of, something which has already happened … an emotional rehashing, or re-fighting of some event in the past. You cannot win, because you are attempting to do the impossible–change the past.” – Maxwell Maltz
More Inspirational Quotes
If you think you can relate to these uplifting quotes feel free to spread your feelings and share them with friends and family on Pinterest, Facebook, Tumblr, Instagram, Twitter, and more.
Which is your favorite resentment quote? If we have missed some quotes, share them with us in the comment section below and we shall be happy to add them to the list.