Read the greatest collection of Pythagoras quotes, sayings, and teachings from the Father of Philosophy and Mathematics that are timeless. These quotations summarize his teachings and guide the way to a harmonious life.
Pythagoras of Samos was a Greek philosopher and mathematician who lived in the 6th century BCE.
He is considered one of the most important figures in the development of Western philosophy and mathematics, and his teachings and ideas continue to influence modern thought.
Pythagoras was the founder of a philosophical and religious movement known as Pythagoreanism, which was based on the idea of the unity of all things and the importance of mathematics and numbers.
He is also credited with discovering the Pythagorean theorem, which states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides.
Pythagoras’ quotes reflect his philosophy and ideas on mathematics, the unity of all things, and the importance of living a harmonious and virtuous life.
These quotes offer insight into the mind of this brilliant thinker and provide a window into his beliefs about the world and our place in it.
Whether you’re a student of philosophy or mathematics, or simply looking for inspiration and guidance, the sayings of Pythagoras offer a wealth of wisdom and insight.
Top 10 Pythagoras Quotes To Live By
- “Leave the road, take the trails.” – Pythagoras
- “Time is the soul of this world.” – Pythagoras
- “Reason is immortal, all else mortal.” – Pythagoras
- “Even as Truth, does Error have its lovers.” – Pythagoras
- “No man is free who cannot control himself.” – Pythagoras
- “Anger begins in folly, and ends in repentance.” – Pythagoras
- “Thy foolish passions: learn thou to subdue them.” – Pythagoras
- “Be a good son, just brother, spouse tender and a good father.” – Pythagoras
- “It is difficult to walk at one and the same time many paths of life.” – Pythagoras
- “Above the cloud with its shadow is the star with its light. Above all things reverence thyself.” – Pythagoras
- “Friends are as companions on a journey, who ought to aid each other to persevere in the road to a happier life.” – Pythagoras
Famous Quotes By Pythagoras That Are Timeless
- “Silence is better than unmeaning words.” – Pythagoras
- “Wisdom thoroughly learned will never be forgotten.” – Pythagoras
- “Choose rather to be strong of soul than strong of body.” – Pythagoras
- “A fool is known by his speech, and a wise man by silence.” – Pythagoras
- “The stars in the heavens sing a music if only we had A ears to hear.” – Pythagoras
- “As soon as laws are necessary for men, they are no longer fit for freedom.” – Pythagoras
- “The wise man should be prepared for everything that does not lie within his control.” – Pythagoras
- “Sobriety is the strength of the soul, for it preserves its reason unclouded by passion.” – Pythagoras
- “The best and greatest winning is a true friend; and the greatest loss is the loss of time.” – Pythagoras
- “Love that shines from within cannot be darkened by obstacles of the world of consequences!” – Pythagoras
- “Do not go to bed until you have gone over the day three times in your mind. What wrong did I do? What good did I accomplish? What did I forget to do?” – Pythagoras
- “The soul of man is divided into three parts, intelligence, reason, and passion. Intelligence and passion are possessed by other animals, but reason by man alone.” – Pythagoras
- “It is only necessary to make war with five things; with the maladies of the body, the ignorances of the mind, with the passions of the body, with the seditions of the city and the discords of families.” – Pythagoras
- “In the midst of such wealth as earth, the best of mothers, provides, yet nothing satisfies you, but to behave like the Cyclopes, inflicting sorry wounds with cruel teeth! You cannot appease the hungry cravings of your wicked, gluttonous stomachs except by destroying some other life.” – Pythagoras
- “A good Soul hath neither too great joy nor too great sorrow: for it rejoiceth in goodness; and it sorroweth in wickedness. By the means whereof, when it beholdeth all things, and seeth the good and bad so mingled together, it can neither rejoice greatly; nor be grieved with over much sorrow.” – Pythagoras
Best Pythagoras Quotes On Maths & Education
- “God built the universe on numbers.” – Pythagoras
- “Number was the substance of all things.” – Pythagoras
- “Geometry is knowledge of the eternally existent.” – Pythagoras
- “Salt is born of the purest parents: the sun and the sea.” – Pythagoras
- “Do not say a little in many words but a great deal in a few.” – Pythagoras
- “None can be free who is a slave to, and ruled by, his passions.” – Pythagoras
- “A blow from your friend is better than a kiss from your enemy.” – Pythagoras
- “Educate the children and it won’t be necessary to punish the men.” – Pythagoras
- “Number is the ruler of forms and ideas, and the cause of gods and demons.” – Pythagoras
- “The oldest, shortest words — ‘yes’ and ‘no’— are those which require the most thought.” – Pythagoras
- “The most momentous thing in human life is the art of winning the soul to good or evil.” – Pythagoras
- “There is geometry in the humming of the strings, there is music in the spacing of the spheres.” – Pythagoras
- “Don’t try to cover your mistakes with false words. Rather, correct your mistakes with examination.” –Pythagoras
- “The experience of life in a finite, limited body is specifically for the purpose of discovering and manifesting supernatural existence.” – Pythagoras
- “As long as man continues to be the ruthless destroyer of lower living beings he will never know health or peace. For as long as men massacre animals, they will kill each other.” – Pythagoras
Inspirational Pythagoras Quotes
They provide a glimpse into the mind of one of the greatest thinkers in history and offer a timeless perspective on the world and our place in it.
So why not take some time to explore the many amazing quotes of Pythagoras and see which ones resonate with you?
- “Above all things, respect yourself.” – Pythagoras
- “Lust weakens both body and mind.” – Pythagoras
- “Know thyself and thou wilt know the universe.” – Pythagoras
- “In anger we should refrain both from speech and action.” – Pythagoras
- “It is better to be silent, than to dispute with the Ignorant.” – Pythagoras
- “Learn to be silent. Let your quiet mind listen and absorb.” – Pythagoras
- “You should make great things, not promising great things.” – Pythagoras
- “Concern should drive us into action and not into depression.” – Pythagoras
- “Rest satisfied with doing well, and leave others to talk of you as they please.” – Pythagoras
- “Let no one persuade you by word or deed to do or say whatever is not best for you.” – Pythagoras
- “If you’re asked: What is the silence? Respond: It is the first stone of the Wisdom’s temple.” – Pythagoras
- “Numbers have a way of taking a man by the hand and leading him down the path of reason.” – Pythagoras
- “The highest goal of music is to connect one’s soul to their Divine Nature, not entertainment.” – Pythagoras
- “Learn silence. With the quiet serenity of a meditative mind, listen, absorb, transcribe, and transform.” –Pythagoras
- “Choose always the way that seems the best, however rough it may be; custom will soon render it easy and agreeable.” – Pythagoras
- “We ought so to behave to one another as to avoid making enemies of our friends, and at the same time to make friends of our enemies.” – Pythagoras
- “Most men and women, by birth or nature, lack the means to advance in wealth and power, but all have the ability to advance in knowledge.” – Pythagoras
- “If you have a wounded heart, touch it as little as you would an injured eye. There are only two remedies for the suffering of the soul: hope and patience.” – Pythagoras
- “Hate and fear breed a poison in the blood, which if continued, affects eyes, ears, nose and the organs of digestion. Therefore, it is not wise to hear and remember the unkind things others might say about you.” – Pythagoras
- “We come from God. As the tree from the root and the stream from the spring; that’s why we should always be in contact with Him, as the trunk from the root. Because the stream dries up when it is separated from the spring and the tree dies when is uprooted.” – Pythagoras
What was Pythagoras’ motto?
The motto commonly associated with Pythagoras is “All things are numbers.” This reflects his belief that mathematics was the key to understanding the underlying structure and unity of the universe, and that numbers and mathematical relationships were the building blocks of all reality.
Also See: Marcus Aurelius’ Quotes
Which of the above quotes inspired you the most?
Let us know in the comments section below. Feel free to share stoic quotes with friends and family to motivate them on Instagram, Tumblr, Twitter, Pinterest, Facebook, and more.