Fishing has always been an activity that has captivated the hearts and minds of millions of people around the world. These amazing fishing quotes and sayings will make you want to get on the water!
With the onset of summer, Anglers are happy to enjoy the sport of fishing and take advantage of the warm weather and long days.
Fishing can at times take you to some of the most beautiful and serene spots on the planet, from crystal-clear streams to remote lakes and oceans.
And being surrounded by nature and away from the stresses of daily life can be a great way to unwind and recharge.
Also See: Funny Fish Jokes
Over the years, many great thinkers, writers, and poets have mused the art of angling, leaving behind a treasure trove of memorable fishing quotes that continue to inspire and captivate anglers today.
Whether you’re a seasoned angler or a beginner, there’s no better time to cast a line and soak in the lap of nature.
From inspiring words of wisdom to witty one-liners, fishing quotes offer a unique perspective on the joys and challenges of the sport.
Top 10 Fishing Quotes
- “I like to fish. Fishing is always a way of relaxing.” — Tom Felton
- “Be patient and calm—for no one can catch fish in anger.” – Herbert Hoover
- “Sharing the fun of fishing turns strangers into friends in a few hours.” – Eugene Clark
- “The two best times to fish is when it’s raining and when it ain’t.” — Patrick F. McManus
- “Catching fish is secondary to the immeasurable joys of the watery world.”― Fennel Hudson
- “Fishing is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it.” – Harry Middleton
- “People fish because they are searching for something. Often it is not for a fish.” ― Fennel Hudson
- “Fishing in a place is a meditation on the rhythm of a tide, a season, the arc of a year, and the seasons of life.” – Carl Safina
- “As no man is born an artist, so no man is born an angler.” ― Izaak Walton
- “Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the simplicity of our forefathers.” – Herbert Hoover
Best Quotes About Fishing
As you delve into the world of fishing quotes, you will encounter the wisdom of renowned anglers like Izaak Walton, who considered fishing to be a contemplative man’s recreation.
And you also encounter the wit and humor of great wordsmiths like Mark Twain and Henry David Thoreau, who were able to capture the essence of fishing in a few simple yet powerful words.
- “I go fishing for reasons other than catching fish.” ― Fennel Hudson
- “This world needs more tackle boxes and less X-boxes.” – Earl Dibbles Jr
- “Govern a family as you would cook a small fish—very gently.” – Chinese proverb
- “Creeps and idiots cannot conceal themselves for long on a fishing trip.” – John Gierach
- “Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God.” – Tony Blake
- “There’s always an opportunity to fish for something – even if it’s just for laughs or ideas.” ― Fennel Hudson
- “The act of fishing—for fish, dreams or whatever magic is available—is enough. It transports us to a special world, and a state of mind, where we are free.” – Fennel Hudson
- “Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.” – Maimonides
- “Fishing is a hard job. Fishing at night. Rain. Day, night… You have to be wise and smart. And quick.” – Mariano Rivera
Funny Fishing Quotes
- “Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.” – Ed Zern
- “The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.” – A. Best
- “Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.” – Unknown
- “Guests, like fish, begin to smell after three days.” – Benjamin Franklin
- “There’s a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.” – Steven Wright
- “Do not tell fish stories where the people know you. Particularly, don’t tell them where they know the fish.” – Mark Twain
- “My Biggest worry is that when I’m dead and gone, my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.” – Koos Brandt
- “Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.” – George Carlin
- “It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.” – John Steinbeck
- “Somebody just back of you, while you are fishing, is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl.” – Ernest Hemingway
- “If fishing is religion, fly fishing is high church.” – Tom Brokaw
- “A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work.” – Unknown
- “Fishing is not a benign activity; it is hunting in the water.” ― Sharon Gannon
- “I love fishing. It’s transcendental meditation with a punchline.” ― Billy Connolly
- “They should call fishing what it really is… tricking and killing!” ― Demetri Martin
- “Everyone should believe in something. I believe I’ll go fishing.” — Henry David Thoreau
- “Anytime I can sneak in a moment to fish and ride horses, I’m a happy camper!” – George Foreman
- “Like they say, you can learn more from a guide in one day than you can in three months fishing alone.” – Mario Lopez
- “I do hunt and I do fish, and I don’t apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing.” – General Norman Schwarzkopf
- “There is a moment during every fight with a strong fish when you wonder whether it or you will win the battle.” ― Fennel Hudson
Famous Quotes On Fishing
- “Game fish are too valuable to be caught only once.” — Lee Wulff
- “A bad day can be made better with some fishing time.” — Unknown
- “The best time to go fishing is when you can get away.” — Robert Traver
- “Fishing is a way to be at peace with the world and oneself.” — Unknown
- “A woman who can fish is a woman who can handle anything life throws at her.” — Unknown
- “Every city has a town outside with a lake. I pull out my fishing pole and fish. I’ve been doing that for a long time.” ― Brandi Carlile
- “The fishing is a great relief for me. When I’m out, there’s no cell phone ringing. I’m out there fishing with bears. I’m in the middle of God’s country, catching tons of fish. I just absolutely love it.” – Rich Barry
- “I thoroughly enjoy getting away from the game and going out fishing because it’s so relaxing, so quiet, and peaceful.” – Tiger Woods
- “Fishing provides that connection with the whole living world. It gives you the opportunity of being totally immersed, turning back into yourself in a good way.” – Ted Hughes
Short Fishing Captions
- Fishing mode: ON
- I’m hooked on you!
- Party like a lob-star.
- Life is short. Go fishing.
- If I am fishing…. I’m happy.
- You’ve cod to be kidding me.
- So much fish, but so little time.
- Fishing season is officially here.
- Rise and shine. It’s fishing time.
- Fishing until the sun goes down.
- Dear fish, I think about you often.
- A day full of fishing keeps the worries away.
- It’s not just a hobby. It’s my escape from reality.
- There is no better view than from behind my fishing pole.
Fishing Quotes On Life
- “I don’t go fishing to escape my life; I go fishing to live my life.” — Unknown
- “There’s no such thing as a bad day when you’re fishing.” — John D. Williams
- “Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths.” — Unknown
- “It doesn’t matter if the rod is or isn’t bent. Time spent fishing is time well spent.” — Justin Morgan
- “Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.” — Henry David Thoreau
- “If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there’d be a shortage of fishing poles.” – Doug Larson
- “Fishing seems to be the great occasion when all manner of contradictions reconcile themselves.” — Iris Murdoch
- “There’s certainly something in fishing that makes a man feel he is doing right; I can’t explain it, but it’s very pleasant.” — Norman Maclean
- “One thing becomes clearer as one gets older and one’s fishing experience increases and that is the paramount importance of one’s fishing companions.” — John Ashley Cooper
Fishing Quotes To Inspire Anglers
- “Angling is a recreation. It’s supposed to be fun.” ― Fennel Hudson
- “I go fishing not to find myself but to lose myself.” — Joseph Monninger
- “Fly-fishing is the most fun you can have standing up.” — Arnold Gingrich
- “Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job.” — Paul Schullery
- “I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent.” — Nick Lyons
- “Fishing is a delusion entirely surrounded by liars in old clothes.” — Don Marquis
- “Traditional angling is a mindset. So, have you set your mind?” ― Fennel Hudson
- “If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago.” — Zane Grey
- “It is to be observed that ‘angling’ is the name given to fishing by people who can’t fish.” — Stephen Leacock
- “There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.” – Washington Irving
- “I love fishing. You put that line in the water, and you don’t know what’s on the other end.” — Robert Altman
- “There are million-and-one ways to enjoy a day’s angling. Catching fish is but one of them.” ― Fennel Hudson
- “Last year, I went fishing with Salvador Dali. He was using a dotted line. He caught every other fish.” — Steven Wright
- “If your concentration is getting bad, take up bass fishing. It will really improve your ability to focus. If you aren’t ready when that fish hits, you can’t set the hook.” – Lee Trevino
- “I am an old-fashioned angler seeking to fish in a peaceful and relaxing way in traditional surroundings. Other anglers are too noisy, too busy, and catch fish that might break my landing net.” ― Fennel Hudson
Fishing Quotations For Fishermen
- “Trust me – It’s much more than casting a hook into the water.” – Denise J. Hughes
- “Fishing is the art of lying convincingly about the size of the fish that got away.” – Unknown
- “I have fished through fishless days that I remember happily without regret.” – Roderick Haig Brown
- “Most of the world is covered by water. A fisherman’s job is simple: Pick out the best parts.” – Charles Waterman
- “Bass fishing is one of the most challenging and rewarding things I’ve ever done. It’s like a chess match with the fish.” — Hank Parker
- “There are always new places to go fishing. For any fisherman, there’s always a new place, always a new horizon.” – Jack Nicklaus
- “Most fishing rods work better if you grasp them at the thick end. If you grasp a fisherman at the thick end, you may get a thumb bit off.” ― Ed Zern
- “I’ve gone fishing thousands of times in my life, and I have never once felt unlucky or poorly paid for those hours on the water.” — William Tapply
- “Give a man a fish, and you’ll feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he’ll buy a funny hat. Talk to a hungry man about fish, and you’re a consultant.” — Scott Adams
These timeless fishing quotes serve as a reminder that there is much more to fishing than simply catching fish.
And they offer insight into the depths of human emotion and thought, while also providing a sense of camaraderie among those who share a love for angling.
Which of these fishing quotations do you relate the most to? Do you have any other favorite quotes to add? Let us know in the comment section below.
Feel free to share these quotes and sayings on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest, with friends and family.