Read some of the best Malala Yousafzai quotes on education, feminism, gender equality, and more that will inspire you to fight for what is right.
Malala Yousafzai is a Pakistani female education activist who created history by becoming the youngest person to receive the Nobel Peace Prize. Known for her dedication and commitment to education, Malala is a symbol of hope, courage, and resilience.
Born on July 12, 1997, in Swat, Pakistan, Malala’s desire for knowledge and determination to receive an education developed at a very early age.
Also Check: Standing Up To Oppression Quotes
With the help of her father’s support, she paved the way to become an advocate for the rights of girls to attend school in the oppressive regime of the Taliban.
In retaliation to her activism for girls’ education, the Taliban shot her in the head. She survived the attack and continued to talk about the importance of education for all.
Her miraculous survival and subsequent advocacy for the education of children, irrespective of their gender turned her into a global symbol of hope and change.
Yousafzai’s conviction and dedication to the right to education earned her the Nobel Prize for Peace in 2014.
She’s like a real-life superhero, fighting for something as simple and important as the right to education. Malala’s words are like a friendly guide, reminding us that even small voices can make big changes.
The UN declared the 12th of July as Malala Day honoring her commitment to education when she presented the chamber with “The Education We Want”.
In this journey through her quotes, we’ll explore the simple yet powerful ideas that this brave young woman shares with the world.
Top 10 Malala Yousafzai Quotes
- “We must tell girls their voices are important.” — Malala Yousafzai
- “When the whole world is silent, even one voice becomes powerful.” — Malala Yousafzai
- “We realize the importance of our voices only when we are silenced.” — Malala Yousafzai
- “Education is one of the blessings of life — and one of its necessities.” — Malala Yousafzai
- “One child, one teacher, one book, and one pen can change the world.” — Malala Yousafzai
- “With guns you can kill terrorists, with education you can kill terrorism.” — Malala Yousafzai
- “Let us pick up our books and our pens, they are the most powerful weapons.” — Malala Yousafzai
- “Let us make our future now, and let us make our dreams tomorrow’s reality.” — Malala Yousafzai
- “We cannot all succeed when half of us are held back.” — Malala Yousafzai
- “There are two powers in the world; one is the sword and the other is the pen. There is a third power stronger than both, that of women.” — Malala Yousafzai
Quotes By Malala Yousafzai
Through her determination and resilience, she became a voice for the voiceless, a catalyst for change, and a ray of hope for girls who aspire to learn and lead.
- “The best way to solve problems and to fight against war is through dialogue.” — Malala Yousafzai
- “Some girls cannot go to school because of the child labor and child trafficking.” — Malala Yousafzai
- “Do not wait for someone else to come and speak for you. It’s you who can change the world.” — Malala Yousafzai
- “I know the power that a young girl carries in her heart when she has a vision and a mission.” — Malala Yousafzai
- “The Taliban could take our pens and books, but they couldn’t stop our minds from thinking.” — Malala Yousafzai
- “I think everyone makes a mistake at least once in their life. The important thing is what you learn from it.” — Malala Yousafzai
- “We need to encourage girls that their voice matters. I think there are hundreds and thousands of Malalas out there.” — Malala Yousafzai
- “I truly believe the only way we can create global peace is through not only educating our minds, but our hearts and our souls.” — Malala Yousafzai
- “All we are asking is for girls to be able to go to school, for women to be safer… we are not asking for a privilege, these are like basic human rights.” — Malala Yousafzai
- “Kindness can only be repaid with kindness. It can’t be repaid with expressions like ‘thank you’ and then forgotten.” — Malala Yousafzai
- “Our men think earning money and ordering around others is where power lies. They don’t think power is in the hands of the woman who takes care of everyone all day long, and gives birth to their children.” — Malala Yousafzai
Famous Quotes From Malala Yousafzai
- “I say I am stronger than fear.” — Malala Yousafzai
- “Don’t be afraid — if you are afraid you can’t move forward.” — Malala Yousafzai
- “We were scared, but our fear was not as strong as our courage.” — Malala Yousafzai
- “If one man can destroy everything, why can’t one girl change it?” — Malala Yousafzai
- “Life isn’t just about taking in oxygen and giving out carbon dioxide.” — Malala Yousafzai
- “I tell my story, not because it is unique, but because it is not. It is the story of many girls.” — Malala Yousafzai
- “We must believe in the power and strength of our words. Our words can change the world.” — Malala Yousafzai
- “I raise up my voice — not so I can shout but so that those without a voice can be heard… we cannot succeed when half of us are held back.” — Malala Yousafzai
- “Some people only ask others to do something. I believe that, why should I wait for someone else? Why don’t I take a step and move forward?” — Malala Yousafzai
- “I had two options. One was to remain silent and wait to be killed. And the second was to speak up and then be killed. I chose the second one. I decided to speak up.” — Malala Yousafzai
Malala Yousafzai Quotes
- “Dear sisters and brothers, we realize the importance of light when we see darkness.” — Malala Yousafzai
- “It is very important to know who you are. To make decisions. To show who you are.” — Malala Yousafzai
- “We should all consider each other as human beings, and we should respect each other.” — Malala Yousafzai
- “There should be no discrimination against languages people speak, skin color, or religion.” — Malala Yousafzai
- “I don’t want to be remembered as the girl who was shot. I want to be remembered as the girl who stood up.” — Malala Yousafzai
- “What is interesting is the power and the impact of social media… So we must try to use social media in a good way.” — Malala Yousafzai
- “Books can capture injustices in a way that stays with you and makes you want to do something about them. That’s why they are so powerful.” — Malala Yousafzai
- “I believe it’s a woman’s right to decide what she wants to wear and if a woman can go to the beach and wear nothing, then why can’t she also wear everything?” — Malala Yousafzai
- “And also I didn’t want my future to be just sitting in a room and be imprisoned in my four walls and just cooking and giving birth to children. I didn’t want to see my life in that way.” — Malala Yousafzai
- “For my brothers, it was easy to think about the future. They can be anything they want. But for me it was hard and for that reason I wanted to become educated and empower myself with knowledge.” — Malala Yousafzai
Malala Yousafzai Quotes On Education
- “All I want is an education, and I am afraid of no one.” — Malala Yousafzai
- “Why is it that making tanks is so easy, but building schools is so hard?” — Malala Yousafzai
- “When someone takes away your pens you realize quite how important education is.” — Malala Yousafzai
- “I don’t want revenge on the Taliban, I want education for sons and daughters of the Taliban.” — Malala Yousafzai
- “There are many problems, but I think there is a solution to all these problems; it’s just one, and it’s education.” — Malala Yousafzai
- “The extremists are afraid of books and pens, the power of education frightens them. they are afraid of women.” — Malala Yousafzai
- “Education is education. We should learn everything and then choose which path to follow. Education is neither Eastern nor Western, it is human.” — Malala Yousafzai
- “We are stronger than those who oppress us, who seek to silence us. We are stronger than the enemies of education. We are stronger than fear, hatred, violence and poverty.” — Malala Yousafzai
- “In some parts of the world, students are going to school every day. It’s their normal life. But in other part of the world, we are starving for education… it’s like a precious gift. It’s like a diamond.” — Malala Yousafzai
- “I don’t know why people have divided the whole world into two groups, west and east. Education is neither eastern nor western. Education is education and it’s the right of every human being.” — Malala Yousafzai
More About Malala Yousafzai
Born to an education activist Ziauddin Yousafzai, Malala Yousafzai is a human rights advocate for the education of women and children.
Despite receiving death threats and being shot, Malala dared to continue advocating for girls to have adequate access to education.
She co-founded the Malala Fund, a non-profit organization that provides girls with access to quality and free education.
Yousafzai has received many honors, including being featured by Time magazine as one of the most influential people globally. She was also awarded honorary Canadian citizenship and became the youngest person to address the House of Commons of Canada.
The UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon described her as “Our Hero” and declared her a daughter of the United Nations.
What are your favorite Malala Yousafzai quotes and sayings listed above? If there is a quote that we’ve missed then let us know in the comments section what your thoughts are.
So, feel free to share with friends and family on Facebook, Tumblr, Twitter, Instagram, WhatsApp, and more to spread positive vibes.