Lionel Messi, a soccer legend, is one of the greatest players of all time (GOAT). Not only is Messi an exceptional athlete who is known for his exceptional skills on the field but he is also famous for his wise words which are a source of great inspiration and motivation for millions of people worldwide. Here are the best Messi quotes about life, success, teamwork, leadership, determination, and perseverance.
Lionel Andrés Messi, also known as Leo Messi, started his football career at a very young age. He moved to Spain at the age of 13, joining FC Barcelona’s youth academy, La Masia.
Also See: Inspirational Coach Quotes
His incredible dribbling skills, exceptional agility, and goal-scoring ability have earned him unparalleled success and a huge fan base, making him a global sensation in the sporting world.
From receiving a record-setting seven Ballon d’Or awards as the world’s top male player to becoming Barcelona’s all-time leading scorer, Messi has shattered numerous records, reshaping the world of football.
Despite being 35, he led Argentina to win the Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA) World Cup in 2022, proving to everyone that he is still one of the world’s best soccer players.
These soccer quotes from Messi will inspire you to pursue your dreams, push yourself to the next level, and achieve greatness.
Top 10 Messi Quotes
- “It takes sacrifice as well as talent.” — Lionel Messi
- “My ambition is always to get better and better.” — Lionel Messi
- “Sometimes you have to accept you can’t win all the time.” — Lionel Messi
- “There are more important things in life than winning or losing a game.” — Lionel Messi
- “You can overcome anything, if and if only you love something enough.” — Lionel Messi
- “The best decisions aren’t made with your mind, but with your instincts.” — Lionel Messi
- “You have to fight to reach your dream. You have to sacrifice and work hard for it.” — Lionel Messi
- “The day you think there is no improvements to be made is a sad one for any player.” — Lionel Messi
- “I have fun like a child in the street. When the day comes when I’m not enjoying it, I will leave football.” — Lionel Messi
- “I never think about the play or visualize anything. I do what comes to me at that moment. Instinct. It has always been that way.” — Lionel Messi
Famous Lionel Messi Quotes
- “What I do is play soccer, which is what I like.” — Lionel Messi
- “If I hadn’t had support, I wouldn’t have been able to fulfill my dreams.” — Lionel Messi
- “When the year starts the objective is to win it all with the team, personal records are secondary.” — Lionel Messi
- “In football as in watchmaking, talent and elegance mean nothing without rigour and precision.” — Lionel Messi
- “Every year I try to grow as a player and not get stuck in a rut. I try to improve my game in every way possible.” — Lionel Messi
- “I start early and I stay late, day after day, year after year, it took me 17 years and 114 days to become an overnight success.” — Lionel Messi
- “Every time I start a year, I start with the objective of trying to achieve everything, without comparing it to how I’ve done in other seasons.” — Lionel Messi
- “I am more concerned about being a good person than the best player in the world. I hope that when I retire, people remember me as a good guy.” — Lionel Messi
- “Many years ago when I first started my career Maradona told me “to enjoy and play as you know”, and that’s stayed with me ever since and is the best advice I’ve been given.” — Lionel Messi
- “Whether it’s a friendly match, or for points, or a final, or any game – I play the same. I’m always trying to be my best, first for my team, for myself, for the fans, and to try and win.” — Lionel Messi
Motivational Quotes by Lionel Messi
- “Something deep in my character allows me to take the hits and get on with trying to win.” — Lionel Messi
- “I never had any problems with my height. I was always the smallest kid, at school and in my teams.” — Lionel Messi
- “My style of play has always been the same. I never tried to develop a specific style. From very young I just played this way.” — Lionel Messi
- “I would pass onto any young player to enjoy your football, play your football as you want to play the game, try and enjoy it and make the most of it.” — Lionel Messi
- “I prefer to win titles with the team ahead of individual awards or scoring more goals than anyone else. I’m more worried about being a good person than being the best football player in the world. When all this is over, what are you left with? When I retire, I hope I am remembered for being a decent guy.” — Lionel Messi.
Inspirational Quotes by Lionel Messi
- “Being a bit famous now gives me the opportunity to help people who really need it, especially children.” — Lionel Messi
- “I’m always proudest whenever I’ve been part of a trophy-winning team. Lifting a title makes me feel so happy because it’s what I want to do in football: be successful.” — Lionel Messi
- “There’s nothing more satisfying than seeing a happy and smiling child. I always help in any way I can, even if it’s just by signing an autograph. A child’s smile is worth more than all the money in the world.” — Lionel Messi
- “I try to use pressure to help me in every game. Pressure helps me do things to the best of my ability. I like it. I don’t feel pressure; quite the contrary, because I always enjoy what I’m doing and that’s playing football.” — Lionel Messi
- “Money is not a motivating factor. Money doesn’t thrill me or make me play better because there are benefits to being wealthy. I’m just happy with a ball at my feet. My motivation comes from playing the game I love. If I wasn’t paid to be a professional footballer I would willingly play for nothing.” — Lionel Messi
More About Lionel Messi
Lionel Messi, born in Rosario, Argentina, in 1987, is an Argentine professional footballer who plays as a forward for and captains both Major League Soccer club Inter Miami and the Argentina national team.
Along with Diego Maradona, Pelé, Johan Cruyff, and Cristiano Ronaldo, Messi is widely regarded as one of the best soccer players of all time.
Throughout his career, he has won numerous accolades including Ballon d’Or awards, 2 World Cup Golden Ball, 1 FIFA World Player of the Year, 1 The Best, and more. He also holds the records for most goals in the Spanish La Liga.
His road to stardom was filled with ups and downs, but he always bounced back and established himself as a soccer superstar.
Leo Messi is the most searched person on Google globally as of October 2023, at 17.1 million global searches.
Despite this huge fame and success, he remains to be a humble and down-to-earth person, earning him respect and admiration worldwide.
Hopefully, you enjoy reading the above motivational Messi quotes from the Argentine megastar.
What are your favorite Lionel Messi quotes and sayings listed above? If there is a quote that we’ve missed then let us know in the comments section what your thoughts are.
So, feel free to share with friends and family on Facebook, Tumblr, Twitter, Instagram, WhatsApp, and more to spread positive vibes.