Looking for inspirational quotes about identity? We have rounded up the best collection of identity quotes, sayings, captions, and status, (with images and pictures) to inspire you to embrace your uniqueness and be yourself.
Identity is a distinguishing personality or character of an individual. It comprises the qualities, beliefs, experiences, and values that create one’s sense of self.
Our family and friends, society, culture, and personal experiences play an important role in influencing and evolving our identities.
It’s not uncommon for us to conceal our authentic selves, often in an attempt to fit in or satisfy others. However, each of us is unique, possessing distinct qualities that set us apart.
We each have our own life purpose and individual thoughts. Therefore, it’s essential not to become consumed with people-pleasing, resulting in hiding our true nature.
So, we shouldn’t try too hard to make everyone happy at the cost of losing ourselves. Let’s be brave, celebrate what makes us unique, and let our true selves shine.
Figuring out your unique self, exploring your identity, and growing it with time can help you lead a better life.
If you are going through an identity crisis or have lost sight of who you are, these inspirational identity quotes will help you find your way back to your true self and not follow the crowd.
Top 10 Identity Quotes
- “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” – Oscar Wilde
- “Your identity is your most valuable possession. Protect it.” – Elastigirl (The Incredibles)
- “Life isn’t about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.” – George Bernard Shaw
- “The only true happiness lies in knowing who you are … and making peace with it.” – Laurell K. Hamilton
- “Your self-worth is determined by you. You don’t have to depend on someone telling you who you are.” – Beyoncé
- “In the social jungle of human existence, there is no feeling of being alive without a sense of identity.” – Erik Erikson
- “Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” – Dr. Seuss
- “To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “Identity is this incredible invisible force that controls your whole life. It’s invisible like gravity is invisible, but it controls your whole life.” – Tony Robbins
- “Unlike a drop of water which loses its identity when it joins the ocean, man does not lose his being in the society in which he lives. Man’s life is independent. He is born not for the development of the society alone, but for the development of his self.” – B.R. Ambedkar
Quotes About Identity
- “You were born an original. Don’t die a copy.” – John Mason
- “I am not what happened to me, I am what I choose to become.” – Carl Jung
- “Own your identity. Love who you are in the world. Love your deafness.” – Nyle DiMarco
- “The reward for conformity is that everybody likes you except yourself.” – Rita Mae Brown
- “The most authentic version of yourself is the truest expression of your identity.” – Unknown
- “Identity cannot be found or fabricated but emerges from within when one has the courage to let go.” – Doug Cooper
- “Your identity is not defined by your past or your circumstances. It is defined by your actions and choices in the present.” – Unknown
- “Identity is not just a collection of roles and labels. It is the essence of who you truly are, beyond all external expectations.” – Unknown
- “Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one’s definition of your life, but define yourself.” – Harvey Fierstein
- “If you really have your own identity you’ll keep on doing what you think is really right for you, and you’ll also understand the next step you want to take.” – Helmut Lang
Identity Quotes To Embrace Your Uniqueness
- “Every man is the architect of his own fortune.” – Appius
- “It’s what no one knows about you that allows you to know yourself.” – Don Delillo
- “The strongest force in the world is a person who knows who they are.” – Unknown
- “It is better to be hated for what you are than loved for what you are not.” – Andre Guide
- “One must first learn to know oneself before knowing anything else.” – Soren Kierkegaard
- “Don’t let society dictate who you should be. Define yourself on your own terms.” – Unknown
- “Your identity is not a fixed destination. It is a lifelong journey of self-discovery and growth.” – Unknown
- “Your identity is not found in other people’s opinions of you. It is found in your own beliefs, values, and actions.” – Unknown
- “Identity is a prison you can never escape, but the way to redeem your past is not to run from it, but to try to understand it, and use it as a foundation to grow.” – Jay Z
- “Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.” – George RR Martin
These wise words of wisdom from famous authors, psychologists, and philosophers will inspire you to stay true to yourself and start living your best life.
- “Memories are the architecture of our identity.” – Brian Solis
- “When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.” – Lao Tzu
- “The best brand you can wear is your own self identity.” – Unknown
- “What we know matters but who we are matters more.” – Brené Brown
- “Self-knowledge is not knowledge but a story one tells about oneself.” – Simone De Beauvoir
- “There is no gate, no lock, no bolt that you can set upon the freedom of my mind.” – Virginia Woolf
- “You have to be willing to go to war with yourself and create a whole new identity.” – David Goggins
- “Human identity is the most fragile thing that we have, and it’s often only found in moments of truth.” – Alan Rudolph
- “Your uniqueness is your identity, don’t lose it. To be noticed in a crowd, you have to be different from everyone else.” – Unknown
- “It’s like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.” – Patrick Rothfuss
Quotes On Identity
- “We know what we are, but not what we may be.” – William Shakespeare
- “In order for you to be yourself, you have to be somebody first.” – Stanislaw Jerzy Lec
- “Identity can only come from an individual. it can never be created or located.” – Unknown
- “Never mind searching for who you are. Search for the person you aspire to be.” – Robert Brault
- “Identity was partly heritage, partly upbringing, but mostly the choices you make in life.” – Patricia Briggs
- “Perhaps it’s impossible to wear an identity without becoming what you pretend to be.” – Orson Scott Card
- “I am no bird; no net ensnares me: I am a free human being with an independent will.” – Charlotte Bronte
- “Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else’s opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.” – Oscar Wilde
- “I think every person has their own identity and beauty. Everyone being different is what is really beautiful. If we were all the same, it would be boring.” – Tila Tequila
- “Whenever two people meet, there are really six people present. There is each man as he sees himself, each man as the other person sees him, and each man as he really is.” – William James
Identity Quotes To Find Your True Self
- “A man is what he wills himself to be.” – Jean-Paul Sartre
- “Know, first, who you are, and then adorn yourself accordingly.” – Epictetus
- “Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your inner voice.” – Steve Jobs
- “We are what we are because we have been what we have been.” – Sigmund Freud
- “Identity is such a crucial affair that one shouldn’t rush into it.” – David Quammen
- “The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.” – Mahatma Gandhi
- “To become what one is, one must not have the faintest idea what one is.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
- “Before you decide to move into anything beyond yourself create your own identity.” – Unknown
- “Define yourself radically as one beloved by God. This is the true self. Every other identity is illusion.” – Brennan Manning
- “Folks can change their ways much as they want to. But I don’t care how many times you change your ways, what’s in you is in you, and it’s got to come out.” – James Baldwin
Quotes About Identity
- “When I discover who I am, I’ll be free.” – Ralph Ellison
- “A girl should be two things: who and what she wants.” – Coco Chanel
- “Don’t let your struggle become your identity. Overcome it fast.” – Ralston Bowles
- “To be idle requires a strong sense of personal identity.” – Robert Louis Stevenson
- “We all need a past – that’s where our sense of identity comes from.” – Penelope Lively
- “Committing yourself is a way of finding out who you are. A man finds his identity by identifying.” – Robert E. Terwilliger
- “I was born alone, I’m gonna die alone. I have my own identity. I’m my own person, and no two people are the same.” – ASAP Ferg
- “A dreamer is one who can find his way only by moonlight and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.” – Oscar Wilde
- “Before I can live with other folks I’ve got to live with myself. The one thing that doesn’t abide by majority rule is a person’s conscience.” – Harper Lee
More Inspirational Quotes
Which is your favorite identity quote? If we have missed some quotes, share them with us in the comment section below and we shall be happy to add them to the list.
If you think you can relate to these uplifting quotes feel free to spread your feelings and share them with friends and family on Pinterest, Facebook, Tumblr, Instagram, Twitter, and more.