70 Belonging Quotes On Identity & Acceptance
I’ve rounded up the best collection of belonging quotes, sayings, captions, and status (with images and pictures) about finding your identity and place in life.
They emphasize the human need for connection, inclusion, and acceptance. Belonging is a fundamental aspect of human experience, and it can have a significant impact on our physical, emotional, and mental well-being.
And It is an innate desire to be connected to others, to be part of something larger than oneself, and to feel a sense of purpose and significance in one’s life.
Belonging quotes are a collection of powerful statements, sayings, and proverbs that highlight the importance of belonging to a community or group.
A sense of belonging quote is a source of inspiration and guidance for those seeking to cultivate a sense of belonging in their lives.
They can provide insight into the nature of human connection and offer wisdom on how to find and nurture meaningful relationships.
By internalizing these quotes, we can cultivate a greater sense of well-being, connection, and fulfillment in our lives.
Top 10 Belonging Quotes
- “Longing, felt fully, carries us to belonging.” – Tara Brach
- “Your actions are your only true belongings.” – Gautama Buddha
- “I long, as does every human being, to be at home wherever I find myself.” – Maya Angelou
- “If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.” – Mother Teresa
- “Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well.” – Voltaire
- “Those who have a strong sense of love and belonging have the courage to be imperfect.” – Brene Brown
- “We want true belonging, but it takes tremendous courage to knowingly walk into hard moments.” – Brene Brown
- “There is a reason the word belonging has a synonym for want at its center; it is the human condition.” – Jodi Picoult
- “A sense of belonging is not physical. We can’t find it by changing where we live or what we do. We have to carry it within us.” – P. C. Cast
- “By building relations we create a source of love and personal pride and belonging that makes living in a chaotic world easier.” – Susan Lieberman
Best Quotes About Belonging
Don’t forget to read our positive find yourself quotes and believing in yourself to motivate you every day.
- “Love is saying yes to belonging.” – David Steindl-Rast
- “Belonging comes from being yourself and being seen.” – Unknown
- “True belonging is trusting yourself, your passions, and your sorrows.” – Unknown
- “You must go on adventures to find out where you truly belong.” – Sue Fitzmaurice
- “An expectation is a future object, recognized as belonging to me.” – Samuel Alexander
- “Sometimes the place you are used to is not the place you belong.” – The Queen Of Katwe
- “Love, belonging and connection are the universal sources of true well-being.” – Unknown
- “Do more than belong: participate. Do more than care: help. Do more than believe: practice.” – William Arthur Ward
- “Believing that you are unworthy of love and belonging or that who you are authentically is a sin or is wrong, is deadly.” – Laverne Cox
- “True belonging has no bunkers. We have to step out from behind the barricades of self- preservation and brave the wild.” – Brene Brown
- “There was neither horizon, cloud, nor sound; of that pink, spread silence even I had become part, belonging as much to sky as to earth.” – Emily Carr
- “But true belonging is not something we negotiate or accomplish with others…It’s a personal commitment that we carry in our hearts.” – Brené Brown
- “I celebrate myself, and sing myself, And what I assume you shall assume, For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.” – Walt Whitman
- “Being engaged in some way for the good of the community, whatever that community, is a factor in a meaningful life.” – Patricia Churchland
- “I have come home at last! This is my real country! I belong here. This is what I have been looking for all my life, though I never knew it till now.” – C.S. Lewis
Quotes On Belonging About Finding Your Identity
Belonging provides a sense of security and safety. When we feel like we belong to a group, we know that we have people who will support us and be there for us when we need them.
This helps us feel more confident and less anxious.
Belonging quotes can also serve as a source of comfort during times of isolation and loneliness.
- “You belong somewhere you feel free.” – Tom Petty
- “I belong! I am important! I am somebody!” – Beatrice Sparks
- “The art of longing and the art of belonging must be experienced in life.” – Unknown
- “We are driven by five genetic needs: survival, love and belonging, power, freedom, and fun.” – William Glasser
- “Not belonging is a terrible feeling. It feels awkward and it hurts as if you were wearing someone else’s shoes.” – Phoebe Stone
- “She didn’t belong anywhere and she never really belonged to anyone. And everyone else belonged somewhere and to someone.” – JoyBell C
- “Language, identity, place, home: these are all of a piece – just different elements of belonging and not-belonging.” – Jhumpa Lahiri
- “Giving connects two people, the giver and the receiver, and this connection gives birth to a new sense of belonging.” – Deepak Chopra
- “To belong to someone—I didn’t know it, but now that I think about it seems like that’s all I’ve ever wanted. To really be somebody’s, and to have them be mine.” – Jenny Han
- “That is part of the beauty of all literature. You discover that your longings are universal longings, that you’re not lonely and isolated from anyone. You belong.” – F. Scott Fitzgerald
- “No house should ever be on a hill or on anything. It should be of the hill. Belonging to it. Hill and house should live together each the happier for the other.” – Frank Lloyd Wright
- “The feeling of not belonging, of not being entirely worthy, of being sometimes hostage to your own sensibilities. Those things speak to me very personally.” – Anthony Minghella
- “I have an idea that some men are born out of their due place. Accident has cast them amid certain surroundings, but they have always a nostalgia for a home they know not.” – W. Somerset Maugham
- “You can only exist, you can only belong to yourself, and you can only be responsible for your own happiness or belonging or whatever. That broken-part-piece-whole thing is just a trick of the mortal mind.” – Jackson Pearce
Insightful Belonging Quotes That You Will Relate To
- “Acceptance is the sense of belonging.” – MF Moonzajer
- “It’s never about belonging to someone, it’s about belonging together.” – Renee Ahdieh
- “It is important to find a place where you feel trust, you feel belonging and stability.” – Bojan Krkic
- “Tell me with whom you associate, and I will tell you who you are.” – Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
- “Belonging is being your authentic self and knowing that no matter what happens, you belong to you.” – Brene Brown
- “We long to belong, and belonging and caring anchors our sense of place in the universe.” – Patricia Churchland
- “Diversity is having a seat at the table, inclusion is having a voice, and belonging is having that voice be heard.” – Liz Fosslien
- “We belonged to each other, but had lived so far apart that we belonged to others now. Squatters, and only squatters, were the true claimants to our lives.” – Andre Aciman
- “When you get to a place where you understand that love and belonging, your worthiness, is a birthright and not something you have to earn, anything is possible.” – Brene Brown
- “Don’t be a pepper on the eyes of people; rather be the salt on their tongue and make a difference that influences their sense of belonging to the earth.” – Israelmore Ayivor
- “When I meet a new person, I am on the lookout for signs of what he or she is loyal to. It is a preliminary clue to the sense of belonging, and hence of his or her humanity.” – Haniel Long
- “Why do we even bother? Why do we make ourselves so open to such easy damage? Is it all loneliness? Is it all fear? Or is it just to experience belonging with someone else?” – David Levithan
- “Happiness, it seems to me, consists of two things: first, in being where you belong, and second — and best — in comfortably going through everyday life, that is, having had a good night’s sleep and not being hurt by new shoes.” – Theodor Fontane
- “A generous heart is always open, always ready to receive our going and coming. In the midst of such love, we need never fear abandonment. This is the most precious gift true love offers – the experience of knowing we always belong.” – bell hooks
- “A deep sense of love and belonging is an irreducible need of all people. We are biologically, cognitively, physically, and spiritually wired to love, to be loved, and to belong. When those needs are not met, we don’t function as we were meant to. We break. We fall apart. We numb. We ache. We hurt others. We get sick.” – Brené Brown
Belonging Quotes For Community
- “The sense of belonging together had been deeper than love.” – Olivia Manning
- “… divine love is not something belonging to God: it is God Himself.” – Henri Bergson
- “People should have a strong sense of belonging, identity, and pride in the nation.” – Sadhguru
- “When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” – Aldo Leopold
- “I have no sense of nationalism, only a cosmic consciousness of belonging to the human family.” – Rosika Schwimmer
- “We can never get a re-creation of community and heal our society without giving our citizens a sense of belonging.” – Patch Adams
- “Tomorrow belongs to those of us who conceive of it as belonging to everyone; who lends the best of ourselves to it, and with joy.” – Audre Lorde
- “The best of community does give one a deep sense of belonging and well-being; and in that sense community takes away loneliness.” – Henri Nouwen
- “You cannot change any society unless you take responsibility for it, unless you see yourself as belonging to it and responsible for changing it.” – Grace Lee Boggs
- “Because true belonging only happens when we present our authentic, imperfect selves to the world, our sense of belonging can never be greater than our level of self-acceptance.” – Brene Brown
- “People will typically be more enthusiastic where they feel a sense of belonging and see themselves as part of a community than they will in a workplace in which each person is left to his own devices.” – Alfie Kohn
- “Positive feelings come from being honest about yourself and accepting your personality, and physical characteristics, warts and all; and, from belonging to a family that accepts you without question.” – Willard Scott
- “We know that where community exists in confers upon its members’ identity, a sense of belonging, and a measure of security… Communities are the ground-level generators and preservers of values and ethical systems.” – John Gardner
- “This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their revolutionary right to overthrow it.” – Abraham Lincoln
- “What is this you call property? It cannot be the earth, for the land is our mother, nourishing all her children, beasts, birds, fish, and all men. The woods, the streams, everything on it belongs to everybody and is for the use of all. How can one man say it belongs only to him?” – Massasoit
Belonging can promote social and emotional well-being. When we feel like we belong to a group, we are more likely to experience positive emotions like joy, happiness, and contentment.
We also tend to have better mental health outcomes, as we have access to social support and resources.
Feel free to share with friends and family on Facebook, Tumblr, Twitter, Instagram, WhatsApp, and more to spread good vibes.