Looking for the most famous quotes about heritage? We have rounded up the best collection of heritage quotes, sayings, ideas, and messages (with images and pictures) about preserving history, traditions, culture, customs, beliefs, architecture, and more to inspire you.
Heritage is the traditions, customs, and culture of a country that has had great importance for the country for a long time. What we are today is a result of our heritage and culture that has been inherited to us by previous generations.
Also See: History Quotes
Our past shapes our future. Our heritage is what we have received from the past society, to enjoy in the present, and to preserve and pass on to the next generations.
To spread awareness about the importance of heritage and culture, World Heritage Day is celebrated on April 18 every year by people across the globe. The day is also known as the International Day for Monuments and Sites.
This day helps people to be aware of the dying cultures and values of nations. On this day people visit heritage sites and monuments to promote ways to protect and preserve our heritage and legacy.
These inspiring quotes for heritage and famous culture quotes will help you understand the importance of heritage and culture and will inspire you to preserve it and give rise to new cultures as well.
Top 10 Quotes About Heritage
- “He who denies his heritage has no heritage.” – Khalil Gibran
- “Preserving the heritage – promoting the future.” – Becky Williamson-Martin
- “Let us, before we die, gather up our heritage, and offer it to our children.” – Will Durant
- “A nation’s culture resides in the hearts and in the soul of the people.” – Mahatma Gandhi
- “The heritage of the past is the seed that brings forth the harvest of the future.” – Wendell Philips
- “We are experiencing new problems every day and whatever we do adds to the richness of our cultural heritage.” – Steven Biko
- “Those without heritage, history, and place are subject to exploitation, manipulation, and deception.” – Wayne Gerard Trotman
- “Our heritage and ideals, our code and standards – the things we live by and teach our children – are preserved or diminished by how freely we exchange ideas and feelings.” – Walt Disney
- “A large share of our art heritage is now derived from people whose idea of art was quite other than ours, and even from people to whom the very idea of art meant nothing.” – Andre Malraux
- “There are moments when one feels a desperate gratitude for museums, whatever their own ambiguous histories. Their objects from lost cities lead us back to who we are.” – Amy Davidson
Best Heritage Quotes
Heritage is a keystone of our culture that plays an important role in our politics, society, business and world view.
The identity of a nation, region, community or a group lies in its past- its historical and cultural heritage which is unique to that group or society and reflects the rich and diverse creations of humankind.
- “Lord of himself; that heritage of woe!” – Lord Byron
- “Our heritage talks about the roots of our nation.” – Unknown
- “A people without a heritage are easily persuaded.” – Karl Marx
- “Visual presentation of our heritage in glass is needed.” – James Lafferty
- “You can inherit good genes, not greatness.” – Mokokoma Mokhonoana
- “Sport is part of every man and woman’s heritage.” – Pierre de Coubertin
- “Culture is the widening of the mind and of the spirit.” – Jawaharlal Nehru
- “Conserve your cultural diversity, preserve it for future identities.” – Unknown
- “’Heritage’ is a present from our ancestors, respect it, preserve it…” – Unknown
- “One’s heritage and roots is something to be proud of and cherished.” – Sonja Morgan
- “Heritage is Scriptures… which have become absorbed into our blood.” – Sholem Asch
- “My heritage has been my grounding, and it has brought me peace.” – Maureen O’Hara
- “To know nothing of what happened before you is to forever remain a child.” – Unknown
- “It is not the honor that you take with you, but the heritage you leave behind.” – Branch Rickey
- “Be careful how you say your own mother’s name; How you articulate your blood.” – Nkateko Masinga
- “Commonly men will only be brave as their fathers were brave, or timid.” – Henry David Thoreau
- “My father used to say that stories are part of the most precious heritage of mankind.” – Tahir Shah
- “I hold that a strongly marked personality can influence descendants for generations.” – Beatrix Potter
- “Identity was partly heritage, partly upbringing, but mostly the choices you make in life.” – Patricia Briggs
- “Today, let us remember the golden heritage of our country and feel proud to be a part of India.” – Unknown
- “You don’t stumble upon your heritage. It’s there, just waiting to be explored and shared.” – Robbie Robertson
- “How can we know where we are going if we don’t know where we came from?” – Becky Williamson-Martin
- “The mission of your life should be to leave a better world behind than what you inherited.” – Sri Sri Ravi Shankar
- “My nose was part of my heritage, and if I had talent to sing and to act, why wasn’t that enough?” – Barbra Streisand
- “A people’s relationship to their heritage is the same as the relationship of a child to its mother.” – John Henrik Clarke
- “In all of us there is a hunger, marrow-deep, to know our heritage, to know who we are and where we came from.” – Alex Haley
- “Destiny suggests that the effect of our life is to exceed the length of our life. Therefore, today never ends with today.” – Craig D. Lounsbrough
- “Think about what there is to learn from your heritage, good and bad, and about what you want to cultivate and not cultivate.” – Sheri L. Dew
- “Our cultural and natural heritage are both irreplaceable sources of life and inspiration. They are our touchstones, our points of references, our identity.” – Unknown
- “Legacy is not what will be left of us once we’ve gone through our life. It’s what’s left of us that’s left standing once life’s gone through our life.” – Craig D. Lounsbrough
- “It is absolutely imperative that we protect, preserve and pass on this genetic heritage for man and every other living thing in as good a condition as we received it.” – David R. Brower
- “We are created in the image of our heavenly parents; we are God’s spirit children. Therefore, we have a vast capacity for love – it is part of our spiritual heritage.” – Dieter F. Uchtdorf
- “We have to preserve it and use it sustainably. And the short-term use of resources at the destruction of the long-term heritage of this country is not a policy that we can pursue.” – Bruce Babbitt
- “It is impossible, as impossible as to raise the dead, to restore anything that has ever been great or beautiful in architecture. That which I have insisted upon as the life of the whole, that spirit which is given only by the hand and eye of the workman, can never be recalled.” – John Ruskin
- “A civilization is a heritage of beliefs, customs, and knowledge slowly accumulated in the course of centuries, elements difficult at times to justify by logic, but justifying themselves as paths when they lead somewhere since they open up for man his inner distance.” – Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Famous Heritage Quotes About Culture
- “I’m very proud of my heritage.” – Wilford Brimley
- “Preserve cultural heritage, it defines the national identity of a country.” – Unknown
- “Maintaining one’s culture, values and traditions is beyond price.” – Getano Lui, Jnr
- “You have to stay true to your heritage, that’s what your brand is about.” – Alice Temperley
- “Scientific thought and its creation is the common and shared heritage of mankind.” – Abdus Salam
- “To deny this is to deny our own heritage, our own spirit, and our own souls.” – John Denver
- “Monuments and heritage sites are the rich essence of diversity and reflection of our culture.” – Unknown
- “Love your monuments, they are part of a rich civilization and speak volumes about a bygone era.” – Unknown
- “Do not diminish who you are. Your gender, your heritage, your identity. That’s what makes you unique.” – Kailin Gow
- “World Heritage Day aims to identify the beauty of monuments and preserves their identity from the roots.” – Unknown
- “As precious as life itself is our heritage of individual freedom, for man’s free agency is a God-given gift.” – David O. McKay
- “A rich cultural heritage depends on the ability of people to maintain their distinctiveness and unique identities.” – Unknown
- “Our whole constitutional heritage rebels at the thought of giving government the power to control men’s minds.” – Thurgood Marshall
- “Monuments are for the living, not the dead. Preserve them, love them and pass it on to genrations to understand their importance.” – Unknown
- “My culture is my identity and personality. It gives me spiritual, intellectual and emotional distinction from others, and I am proud of it.” – M.F. Moonzajer
- “What you abandon isn’t what is engraved in stone monuments, however what is woven into the lives of others. Monuments have lives woven into them.” – Unknown
- “A nation must be embraced, rehabilitated and expressed as a tangible sign of human creativity and as an integral element of mankinds heritage.” – Abdelaziz Bouteflika
- “High tech companies that focus on research, development and production will learn that they can be the perfect complement to our world-renowned agriculture heritage.” – Alan Autry
- “Tourism carries tremendous potential that must be acknowledged as essential for the futures of world heritage. But without proper management, we can easily get out of control.” – Bonnie Burnham
- “If we really wish to put an end to our ongoing international and social problems we must eventually declare Earth and all of its resources as the common heritage of all the world’s people.” – Jacque Fresco
- “Culture is a way of thinking, a set of values, a belief system that influences our behavior. It’s really a combination of things. It can come from our ethnic background, our religion and society as a whole.” – Frank Olivas
- “There may have been a time when preservation was about saving an old building here or there, but those days are gone. Preservation is in the business of saving communities and the values they embody.” – Richard Moe
- “Sometimes it is impossible to know where you are headed without reflecting on where you came from. Understanding your heritage, your roots and your ancestry is an important part of carving out your future.” – Unknown
- “I think a lot of what I was taught, gathered, and learned is worth keeping. Heritage and “wisdom” and simply personal family and local history enrich the one able to tap such information. As it is I wish I had garnered more from my grandparents and parents.” – Gary Gygax
- “We live an age of science and of abounding accumulation of material things. These did not create the Declaration. Our Declaration created them. … If we are to maintain the great heritage which has been bequeathed to us, we must be like-minded as the fathers who created it.” – Calvin Coolidge
Cultural Heritage Quotes
- “Happiness is a very proud word of our whole cultural heritage.” – Erich Fromm
- “My responsibility is to save Tibet, to protect its ancient cultural heritage.” – Dalai Lama
- “Part of your heritage in this society is the opportunity to become financially independent.” – Jim Rohn
- “Much of our highly valued cultural heritage has been acquired at the cost of sexuality.” – Sigmund Freud
- “Our rich and varied cultural heritage has a profound power to help build our nation.” – Nelson Mandela
- “A people without the knowledge of their past history, origin and culture is like a tree without roots.” – Marcus Garvey
- “We have been the benefactors of our cultural heritage and the victims of our cultural narrowness.” – Stanley Krippner
- “The South is a great driving destination for tourism – heritage, cultural and many other types of tourism.” – Sonny Perdue
- “The sickly cultural pathos which the whole of France indulges in, that fetishism of the cultural heritage.” – Jean Baudrillard
- “As you age naturally, your family shows more and more on your face. If you deny that, you deny your heritage.” – Frances Conroy
- “People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an exercise of power are barbarians.” – George Lucas
- “Our language and literature are without a doubt Britain’s greatest contribution to the cultural heritage of the world.” – Tessa Jowell
- “The hungry and the homeless don’t care about liberty any more than they care about cultural heritage. To pretend that they do care is cant.” – E. M. Forster
- “If we go back in the history of different nations, violence and the use of force are part of their heritage. These are the traditions of mankind.” – Harri Holkeri
- “In the coming decades, questions of identity, meaning cultural heritage, language, and religion will play a central role in politics.” – Samuel P. Huntington
- “I’ve got to where I am in life not because of something I brought to the world but through something I found – the wealth of African culture.” – Hugh Masekela
- “Don’t be so shortsighted that if it doesn’t happen right now, you’re not going to be happy. You are sowing seeds that will reap a great harvest for generations to come.” – Joel Osteen
- “Today, due to the massive Chinese population transfer, the nation of Tibet truly faces the threat of extinction, along with its unique cultural heritage of Buddhist spirituality.” – Dalai Lama
- “India is not, as people keep calling it, an underdeveloped country, but rather, in the context of its history and cultural heritage, a highly developed one in an advanced state of decay.” – Shashi Tharoor
- “A concerted effort to preserve our heritage is a vital link to our cultural, educational, aesthetic, inspirational and economic legacies – all of the things that quite literally make us who we are.” – Steve Berry
- “Food history is as important as a baroque church. Governments should recognize cultural heritage and protect traditional foods. A cheese is as worthy of preserving as a sixteenth-century building.” – Carlo Petrini
- “Our Nation has a diverse and extremely rich cultural heritage. It is a source of pride and strength to millions of Americans who look to the arts for inspiration, communication and the opportunity for creative self-expression.” – Gerald R. Ford
- “For Indigenous peoples , the impact of separating us from our heritage goes directly to the heart that pumps life through our peoples. To expect a people to be able to enjoy their culture without their cultural heritage and their sacred belongings is equivalent to amputating their legs and digging up the ground and asking them to run a marathon.” – Mick Dodson
- “We too need to protect, guide, and encourage our young people, helping them to build a society worthy of their great spiritual and cultural heritage. Specifically, we need to see each child as a gift to be welcomed, cherished, and protected. And we need to care for our young people, not allowing them to be robbed of hope and condemned to life on the streets.” – Pope Francis
- “The arts have long been an integral and vibrant part of our nation’s cultural heritage. In its many forms, art enables us to gain a deeper understanding of ourselves and of our society. Providing us with a unique way to learn about people of other cultures, it allows us to discover all that we have in common. At its best, art can beautify our cities, encourage economic development and social change, and profoundly affect the ways we live our lives.” – William J. Clinton
Our heritage involves tangible, intangible and natural heritage. The tangible heritage includes our historical buildings, sites, buildings, artefacts, and objects in museums.
According to the definition from The United Nations Education, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) : “Heritage is our legacy from the past, what we live with today, and what we pass on to future generations, Our cultural and natural heritage are both irreplaceable sources of life and inspiration”.
The intangible heritage includes our customs, dance, music, sports, skills, crafts, and traditions. And lastly, the natural heritage includes our landscapes, waterways, native wildlife, plants, trees, insects, animals and birds.
Heritage is important because it helps us shape our identity, it becomes a part of what we are. It highlights our customs and values.
Our heritage helps us scrutinize our history and allows us to develop an awareness about ourselves and the society around us. It helps us understand why we are the way we are.
Every year Americans commemorate National Hispanic Heritage Month from September 15 to October 15, by celebrating the cultures, contributions, and histories of American citizens whose ancestors came from Mexico, Spain, and parts of South America.
Which is your favorite heritage quote? Write in the comments section below if we have missed some quote on the list and we’ll be glad to it add to the list.
If you like these quotes please share it with friends and family on Facebook, Pinterest, Tumblr, WhatsApp, Instagram and more.