70 Quotes About Self Hatred — Self Loathing Quotes
Looking for quotes about self-loathing? We have rounded up the best collection of self hatred quotes, sayings, captions, status messages, and one-liners(with images and pictures) that you can relate to.
Self-loathing or self-hatred is extreme criticism of oneself. It may feel as though nothing you do is good enough or that you are unworthy or undeserving of good things in life.
There are times in life when we really feel sad, helpless, and totally miserable with ourselves and the people around us. You may feel quite worthless when you are struggling through some of the worst phases of your life.
You may be dealing with low self-worth and low self-esteem issues due to a breakup, financial crisis, relationship issues, or past trauma.
But whatever the case may be you should believe in yourself, and have the courage to start afresh and keep moving forward.
These quotes are not to make you feel sad, but to make you realize that pain and hardships are the reality of life and we all need to face them and come out strong.
Don’t forget to read our quotes on depression and sad I want to die quotes about losing hope.
Quotes About Self Hatred
- “I love people. I hate to be by myself.” – Chris Paul
- “Self-hatred is worse than loneliness.” – John Irving
- “Self-hatred and self-love are equally self-centered.” – Mason Cooley
- “I hate watching myself. It’s terrible. It’s horrifying.” – Scott Eastwood
- “At least I hate myself as much as I hate anybody else.” – Robert Crumb
- “Self-love is an idolatry. Self-hatred is a tragedy.” – Elizabeth Hardwick
- “Thinking that I’m a mistake is the real mistake.” – Craig D. Lounsbrough
- “We never get to love by hate, least of all by self-hatred.” – Basil W. Maturin
- “To one’s enemies: “I hate myself more than you ever could.” – Alain de Botton
- “The sea of self hatred is flooding and oh God, tonight I’m drowning.” – Unknown
- “Trust gets you killed, love gets you wounded, and being true gets you hated.” – Unknown
- “Self-pity is spiritual suicide. It is an indefensible self-mutilation of the soul.” – Anthon Maarten
- “I order to love who you are, you cannot hate the experiences that shaped you.” – Andrea Dykstra
- “I have been a depressed person most of my life. I was always in the throes of self-hatred.” – Eve Ensler
- “All I want to do right now is cry and scream and let it all out because it’s killing me inside.” – Unknown
- “The gap between our sincere values and our actual behavior is the source of all self-hatred.” – Bo Lozoff
- “I have a list a mile long of faults that sometimes bring me to my knees in self-hatred.” – Frank Langella
- “Self-hate doesn’t create enlightenment. It just causes you to not enjoy the current moment.” – Frederick Lenz
- “All chances of happiness are gone from me. Just being with myself is hell all the time anyway.” – Iris Murdoch
- “The fastest way to develop self-hatred, self-pity, and a ton of unrealized potential is huge hide from yourself.” – Unknown
Self Loathing Quotes
- “I miss the old, happy me…” – Unknown
- “Nobody sees that I’m dead inside.” – Unknown
- “No one cares. They’re just pretending!” – Unknown
- “Why should I love myself? No one else does!” – Unknown
- “I wish I could look in the mirror and like what I see.” – Unknown
- “If you give up on me, I’m going to give up on me too.” – Unknown
- “I need to end this war against myself. It’s pointless and unhealthy.” – Unknown
- “I never cease to disappoint myself. I feel like a failure every single day.” – Unknown
- “All I want to do now is cry and scream and let it all out because it’s killing me inside.” – Unknown
- “If I could change one thing about myself it would be the voices in my head. They don’t like me.” – Unknown
- “When we don’t know who to hate, we hate ourselves.” – Chuck Palahniuk
- “And so, for the first time, I began to feel a more general remorse — a feeling somewhere between self-pity and self-hatred — about my whole life.” – Julian Barnes
Quotes About Self Loathing
- “I’m so sorry for who I am.” – Unknown
- “I hate everything about me.” – Unknown
- “Beware of that monster called ‘self-loathing’.” – John Green
- “Lack of discipline leads to frustration and self-loathing.” – Marie Chapian
- “Unreasonable self-criticism represents a form of self-hatred and fear.” – Bryant McGill
- “She doesn’t think she’s worthy to live. But she doesn’t realize, she is life.” – Derek Raymond
- “You can’t hammer yourself with hatred and build a life of happiness.” – Curtis Tyrone Jones
- “If I’m not talking myself out of depression, I’m talking myself into depression.” – Curtis Tyrone Jones
- “Hatred is the stuff that we turn on others because we turned it on ourselves first.” – Craig D. Lounsbrough
- “Depression can be a form of self hatred. We don’t feel comfortable in our own skin.” – Michele Mcknight Baker
- “Stop hating on yourself for not being perfect. If God wanted perfection, He would have made you an angel.” – Yasmin Mogahed
- “No other feeling feels quite as defeating as knowing that when I wake up, I still hate the person I have become.” – Unknown
- “Don’t you ever wonder if God gets really hurt? When you say, ‘I hate myself’ or ‘I’m ugly’ but he spent so much time creating you…” – Unknown
- “I don’t hate myself, as a general rule. I’d say the best way to describe it is that I have moments of self-loathing at fairly regular intervals.” – Janeane Garofalo
- “I’m so messed up mentally that I can’t even deal with the little things, nevermind the big issues in my life. And those big issues just make me hate me more.” – Unknown
- “Perhaps the most liberating moment in my life was when I realized that my self-loathing was not a product of my inadequacy but, rather, a product of my thoughts.” – Vironika Tugaleva
- “The old saying goes, “Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me.” Yet, my own negative self-talk is certain to make my words both sticks and stones.” – Craig D. Lounsbrough
- “Self-loathing and self-worship can easily be the same thing. You hate the small sack of fluids and resentments that you are, and you would go to any length, and betray anything and anyone, to preserve it.” – N.D. Wilson
Self Hatred Quotes
- “I’m not important. Everyone will do just fine without me.” – Unknown
- “[T]hou canst not think worse of me than I do of myself.” – Robert Burton
- “We hated pretentiousness; it was a form of self-hatred.” – Aleksandar Hemon
- “Hatred is always self hatred, and there is something suicidal about it.” – James A. Baldwin
- “All hatred of others is a reflection of self-hatred. All love of others is a reflection of self-love.” – Alan Cohen
- “Self-hatred is the best vehicle for making people do as they’re told because they are hungry to get approval.” – Melinda Gebbie
- “Self-hate takes a person only so far. Bitterness and self-loathing might spur a person towards seeking personal improvement. To live productively and happily one must find internal peace.” – Kilroy J. Oldster
- “Self-hatred is self-imprisonment. Self-forgiveness is self-liberation. You have the right to suppress yourself, oppress yourself and depress yourself. You have the right to impress yourself too. Feel happy!” – Israelmore Ayivor
I Hate Myself Quotes
Self-loathing is constantly feeling hate for yourself, which can lead to severe conditions like depression.
If you feel you are not good enough or regret your past mistakes, know that life is very valuable and everyday is a new chance to make a change.
Also See: I Hate My Life Quotes
Hating yourself out of shame, guilt or low self-confidence will only make you unhappy with yourself. So try dealing with self loathing with positive thoughts and faith in yourself.
- “I just hate my life.” – Unknown
- “I see beauty in everything but me…” – Unknown
- “I hate myself, and I want to die’.” – Kurt Cobain
- “I hate myself for liking you.” – Stephenie Meyer
- “What would you do if I told you that I want to die?” – Unknown
- “I tell everyone I’m fine, when in reality I hate myself.” – Unknown
- “I hate myself because I am not beautiful. I hate myself because I am fat.” – Unknown
- “I hate myself more than I hate others. I’m miserly egoistic even with hate.” – Unknown
- “I don’t hate you for not loving me anymore, but I hate myself for still loving you.” – Unknown
- “Sometimes I hate you, sometimes I hate myself, but always I miss you.” – David Henry Hwang
- “I want to look into a mirror that will love my own reflection harder than I hate myself.” – Meggie Royer
- “I’m fat. I’m ugly. I’m worthless. I’m useless. I’m depressed. I’m not ok. I want to die. I hate myself.” – Unknown
- “I hate myself for loving you and the weakness that it showed. You were just a painted face on a trip down to suicide road.” – Bob Dylan
Feelings of self-loathing are deeply painful, but exploring those emotions is the first step toward healing. If you’re struggling with hateful thoughts, reflect on what sparked them.
Practicing self-compassion and learning how to forgive others and oneself for past mistakes are key approaches as well.
These quotes about self-loathing will help you value yourself and cultivate self-esteem and self-worth.
Don’t forget to read self inspirational quotes and self motivational quotes for daily positive reminders to start your day!