105 Forgive Yourself Quotes To Let Go of Past Mistakes
Looking for inspirational quotes on forgiving yourself? We have rounded up the best forgive yourself quotes, sayings, captions, and status messages (with images and pictures) to inspire you to let go of the past that will help you heal.
Forgiveness means to let go of feelings of anger, shame, guilt, and resentment towards someone who has cheated, betrayed, or wronged you in some way. While it might be easy to forgive someone else, you might find it hard to forgive yourself.
Self forgiveness is more about putting your past behind. It is about accepting what has happened and showing compassion to yourself to move on in life.
Also Check: Inspirational Healing Quotes
Carrying the burden of the mistakes of the past not only fills you with regret and guilt, it also robs you of your happiness in the present moment.
These deep quotes will help you heal and forgive your ownself to let go and live in the present.
Also Check: Best Forgiveness Quotes
Getting free from the tyranny of your past mistakes may be hard but it’s definitely worth the effort. Self-forgiveness helps you to lead a contented life and pays off with health, peace, and wholeness.
These famous forgive yourself quotes, quotes about forgiving others will help you achieve the path of forgiveness and find happiness in life.
Don’t forget to check our collection of deep magical prayer for healing quotes and moving forward quotes to hep get a clear perspective of life, shed off the past, and embrace the future.
Forgive Yourself Quotes
- “Forgive yourself as you strive to be your best self.” ― Angel Moreira
- “Forgive yourself and welcome love back into your life.” ― Wayne Dyer
- “The more you know yourself, the more you forgive yourself.” ― Confucius
- Forgiving is love’s toughest work, and love’s biggest risk. ― Lewis B. Smedes
- “It’s one of the greatest gifts you can give yourself, to forgive.” —Maya Angelou
- “The best way to calm the anxious mind is to forgive yourself and others.” ― Debasish Mridha
- “Do as the heavens have done, forget your evil; With them forgive yourself.” — William Shakespeare
- “Remember that when you forgive, you empty yourself so that you may receive.” ― Debasish Mridha
- “Forgiveness is for yourself because it frees you. It lets you out of that prison you put yourself in.” ― Louise Hay
- “Be courageous enough to forgive yourself; never forget to be compassionate to yourself.” ― Debasish Mridha
- “All we have to do is forgive ourselves wholly and completely for ever thinking that we are not good enough!” ― Jodi Aman
- “When we give ourselves self-compassion, we are opening our hearts in a way that can transform our lives.” ― Kristin Neff
- “We all make mistakes, don’t we? But if you can’t forgive yourself, you’ll always be an exile in your own life.” — Curtis Sittenfeld
- “Never forget that to forgive yourself is to release trapped energy that could be doing good work in the world.” ― D. Patrick Miller
- “Forgiving yourself, believing in yourself and choosing to love yourself are the best gifts one could receive.” ― Brittany Burgunder
- “You cannot travel back in time to fix your mistakes, but you can learn from them and forgive yourself for not knowing better.” — Leon Brown
- “The burden of regret can weigh us down heavily on our spiritual journey. The best way to release regret is to forgive ourselves.” ― James Van Praagh
- “Forgiving yourself is as important as forgiving others. Guilt is toxic, re-living the mistake over and over. Love yourself. Forgive yourself.” ― Robert Tew
- “Learn to face yourself, learn to forgive yourself during your meditation and you will see how your life starts transforming MAGICALLY!” ― Purvi Raniga
- “Forgive yourself; you are not perfect. Show yourself grace; you are still learning. Show yourself patience; you are on a journey.” — Shannon Yvette Tanner
- “You forgive yourself for every failure because you are trying to do the right thing. God knows that and you know it. Nobody else may know it.” ― Maya Angelou
- “It is such a great moment of liberation when you learn to forgive yourself, let the burden go, and walk out into a new path of promise and possibility.” ― John O’Donohue
- “Love yourself, accept yourself, forgive yourself and be good to yourself, because without you the rest of us are without a source of many wonderful things.” — Leo F. Buscaglia
- “The truth is, unless you let go, unless you forgive yourself, unless you forgive the situation, unless you realize that the situation is over, you cannot move forward.” ― Dr. Steve Maraboli
- “Forgive yourself for what you think you’ve done or not done. At every moment, you had your reasons for all of your actions and decisions. You’ve always done the best that you could do. Forgive yourself.” — Doreen Virtue
- “Once you forgive yourself, the self-rejection in your mind is over. Self-acceptance begins, and the self-love will grow so strong that you will finally accept yourself just the way you are. That’s the beginning of the free human. Forgiveness is the key.” — Don Miguel Ruiz
- “Whatever you’ve done before, accept it and let it go. You are capable of making mistakes. Stop hiding from the shadows of the past. Don’t be trapped in the darkness of shattered memories. Let the light pass through and shine upon you. Forgive yourself because it’s the only way to start again.” — Unknown
- “Forgive yourself first. Release the need to replay a negative situation over and over again in your mind. Don’t become a hostage to your past by always reviewing and reliving your mistakes. Don’t remind yourself of what should have, could have or would have been. Release it and let it go. Move on.” — Les Brown
“Bring it up, make amends, forgive yourself. It sounds simple, but don’t think for a second that it is easy. Getting free from the tyranny of past mistakes can be hard work, but definitely worth the effort. And the payoff is health, wholeness and inner peace. In other words, you get your life back.” ― Steve Goodier
- “I have learned, that the person I have to ask for forgiveness from the most is: myself. You must love yourself. You have to forgive yourself, everyday, whenever you remember a shortcoming, a flaw, you have to tell yourself “That’s just fine”. You have to forgive yourself so much, until you don’t even see those things anymore. Because that’s what love is like.” ― C. JoyBell C.
Quotes About Forgiving Yourself
Try to amend your mistakes and free yourself from guilt and regret. Once you start to practice self-forgiveness, you open the doors to self-acceptance and self-love.
Forgiveness is a gradual process like healing. Give yourself all the time you need. Nothing is permanent in life and this period will pass away.
You might feel like your forgiving process is taking forever but you’ll eventually feel better and happier.
These popular short quotes about forgiving yourself and others, and forgiving yourself quotes from the Bible will help you get through your journey.
Don’t forget to check our collection of stay focused quotes and be true to yourself quotes to inspire you to truly accept yourself and embrace your differences.
- “Forgive yourself for your faults and your mistakes and move on.” — Les Brown
- “When you forgive, you immerse yourself in healing waters.” — Stephen Richards
- “Forgiveness is man’s deepest need and highest achievement.” — Horace Bushnell
- “Forgive yourself for accepting less than you deserve. But don’t do it again.” ― Unknown
- “Never forget to forgive yourself; always remember to love yourself.” ― Debasish Mridha
- “To forgive is to set a prisoner free and realize that prisoner was you.” ― Lewis B. Smedes
- “Forgiveness is not an occasional act; it is a permanent attitude.” — Martin Luther King Jr.
- “Take forgiveness slowly. Don’t blame yourself for being slow. Peace will come.” — Yoko Ono
- “Forgiveness isn’t approving what happened. It’s choosing to rise above it.” — Robin Sharma
- “Forgive yourself for not knowing what you didn’t know before you learned it.” — Maya Angelou
- “You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.” — Gautam Buddha
- “Holding a grudge doesn’t make you strong; it makes you bitter. Forgiving doesn’t make you weak; it sets you free.” — Dave Willis
- “No one can or will ever feel your pain as much as you. Forgive yourself for the past, seize the gift of the present moment.” — K.J. Kilton
- “Relax. Don’t be so hard on yourself. You are living and learning. Forgive yourself and grow from the experience.” — Unknown
- “People can be more forgiving than you can imagine. But you have to forgive yourself. Let go of what’s bitter and move on.” — Bill Cosby
- “The only person we have the right or the power to forgive is ourselves. For everything else, there is the Art of Acceptance.” ― Rebecca O’Dwyer
- “Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven.” — Luke 6:37 (Bible Verse)
- “There are only 2 two ways to have a peaceful conscience: Never do anything wrong or learn self-forgiveness (Pro tip: first way’s impossible)” ― Elizabeth Gilbert
- “Forgiveness for ourselves and other is one of the main elements in growth. It allows us to free ourselves of the issues that are holding us down.” ― Nanette Mathews
- “Perhaps, if you knew then what you know now you would have done it differently. You are a different person today. Forgive yourself, and move on.” ― Germany Kent
- “Everyone makes mistakes. The wise are not people who never make mistakes, but those who forgive themselves and learn from their mistakes.” ― Ajahn Brahm
- “Stop beating yourself up because of your past bad decisions. No one’s past is spotless. Learn from your past and start over. God’s mercies are endless.” ― Terraine Francois
- “Don’t dwell too much on the past. The lessons are useful for the present and a preparation for the future. Move on!” ― Lailah Gifty Akita, Pearls of Wisdom: Great mind
- “Embrace and love all of yourself—past, present, and future. Forgive yourself quickly and as often as necessary. Encourage yourself. Tell yourself good things about yourself.” — Melody Beattie
- “Even when you do the right thing, sometimes there are dire consequences. Second-guessing every step prevents any forward momentum. Trust yourself, forgive yourself and move on.” — A.G. Howard
- “Feeling compassion for ourselves in no way releases us from responsibility for our actions. Rather, it releases us from the self-hatred that prevents us from responding to our life with clarity and balance.” — Tara Brach
- “God, grant me the serenity to stop beating myself up for not doing things perfectly, the courage to forgive myself because I’m working on doing better, and the wisdom to know that You already love me just the way I am.” — Eleanor Brownn
- “Forgive yourself. The supreme act of forgiveness is when you can forgive yourself for all the wounds you’ve created in your own life. Forgiveness is an act of self-love. When you forgive yourself, self-acceptance begins and self-love grows.” — Miguel Angel Ruiz
- “Forgive yourself for the bad decisions, for the times you lacked understanding, for the choices that hurt others and yourself. Forgive yourself, for being young and reckless. These experiences are vital lessons. And what matters most right now is your willingness to grow from them.” — Unknown
Learn To Forgive Yourself Quotes
Self-forgiveness helps you let go of feelings like shame and guilt and replaces them with compassion, empathy, and love for yourself.
It helps you shift your emotions from negative to positive. Forgiving yourself frees you from your past baggage and increases the scope for self-improvement.
These learn to forgive yourself quotes will give you the motivation to let go of the past and move ahead in life.
Also, check our collection of daily positive affirmations and cheat quotes that you might relate to if you have been cheated on.
- “Forgiveness hurts but its reward is priceless.” ― Naide P Obiang
- “Forgiveness is healing… especially forgiving yourself.” ― Alyson Noel
- “Forgiveness is not just what we receive; it is also what we give – to ourselves.” ― Ogwo David Emenike
- “You, Lord, are forgiving and good, abounding in love to all who call to you.” ― Psalm 86:5 (Bible Verse)
- “In order to heal, we must first forgive…and sometimes the person we must forgive is ourselves.” ― Mila Bron
- “Radical forgiveness is proving once again that you are not allowing that storm to defeat you.” ― Germany Kent
- “Choose, everyday to forgive yourself. You are human, flawed, and most of all worthy of love.” ― Alison Malee
- “Forgiving is giving up the hope that it couldn’t have been any other way than it actually was.” ― Oprah Winfrey
- “Without forgiveness life is governed by…an endless cycle of resentment and retaliation.” — Roberto Assagioli
- “To forgive is the highest, most beautiful form of love. In return, you will receive untold peace and happiness.” — Robert Muller
- “If I hadn’t forgiven myself, I wouldn’t be strong enough to love someone this much.” ― Dawn Lanuza, The Hometown Hazard
- “Forgive yourself first. Let go of past hurts and direct your spirit to goodness and hope by having gratitude.” — Janet Taylor Spence
- “May every soul find the privilege of repentance and grace of forgiveness.” ― Lailah Gifty Akita, Pearls of Wisdom: Great mind
- “The ultimate act of forgiveness is when you are able to forgive yourself for all of the hurts that you created in your own life.” — Unknown
- “Forgiveness is the economy of the heart…forgiveness saves the expense of anger, the cost of hatred, the waste of spirits.” — Hannah More
- “Forgiveness is really a gift to yourself – have the compassion to forgive others, and the courage to forgive yourself.” — Mary Anne Radmacher
- “I think that if God forgives us we must forgive ourselves. Otherwise, it is almost like setting up ourselves as a higher tribunal than him.” — C. S. Lewis
- “Forgive the past and let it go with great gratitude. It will allow us to embrace the present and future with love, enthusiasm and passion.” — Debasish Mridha
- “Forgiveness is inherently powerful enough to extend itself wholly and completely to us even when we are the ones in need of forgiving ourselves.” ― Craig D. Lounsbrough
- “6 Ways To Give Your Mind A Break: 1. Stop stressing 2. Stop worrying 3. Give rest to the problems weighing you down 4. Lighten up 5. Forgive yourself 6. Forgive others.” ― Germany Kent
- “Without forgiveness and love, you will live with resentment, bitterness, malice and strife which result in more pain. You can never love without forgiving. Forgiveness deepens your ability to love and frees you from pain.” ― Kemi Sogunle
- “I have only ever known Guilt to have one weakness, one not easily given and not easily found: Forgiveness…In truth, Guilt’s strength lies not in the failure of others to grant us forgiveness, but in our failure to forgive ourselves.” ― Kelseyleigh Reber, If I Resist
- “Forgiveness has nothing to do with absolving a criminal of his crime. It has everything to do with relieving oneself of the burden of being a victim—letting go of the pain and transforming oneself from victim to survivor.” ― C.R. Strahan, “The Roan Maverick”
- “Forgive yourself for not knowing better at the time. Forgive yourself for giving away your power. Forgive yourself for past behaviors. Forgive yourself for the survival patterns and traits you picked up while enduring trauma. Forgive yourself for being who you needed to be.” ― Audrey Kitching
Self Forgiveness Quotes
Try to forgive yourself for every failure or mistake because when you do so, you are trying to do the right thing.
Don’t hold on to your past mistakes and keep regretting them. Instead, try to wish for forgiveness for yourself.
- “Forgive someone today. Especially if that someone is you.” ― Gina Greenlee
- “You need to learn to forgive yourself first.” ― Nicholas Sparks, The Last Song
- “You cannot win your future if you cannot forgive your past.” — Ikechukwu Joseph
- “The simple truth is, we all make mistakes, and we all need forgiveness.” — Desmond Tutu
- “The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.” ― Mahatma Gandhi
- “Forgiveness says you are given another chance to make a new beginning.” — Desmond Tutu
- “There is no love without forgiveness, and there is no forgiveness without love.” — Bryant H. Mcgill
- “The only true way to create a more loving, productive, and fulfilling life is by forgiving the past.” ― Iyanla Vanzant
- “You will have no peace until you have discovered how to forgive yourself, to forgive other people and let them forgive you.” ― Dorothy Rowe
- “When you slip up and let yourself back into old, toxic patterns of thinking, forgive yourself before you try to fix yourself.” ― Vironika Tugaleva
- “Having asked God for forgiveness, accept release, then truly forgive yourself and turn your back definitely on the matter.” ― Norman Vincent Peale
- “The real difficulty is to overcome how you think about yourself. If we don’t have that we never grow, we never learn, and sure as hell we should never teach.” ― Maya Angelou
- “And you shouldn’t blame yourself. Learn from it. Grow from it, but don’t allow it to consume you again. Easier said than done, I know.” ― T.J. Klune, Under the Whispering Door
- “Forgiveness is beautiful and it feels good when someone gives that gift to you. But it’s one thing for someone you wronged to forgive you. It was another to forgive yourself.” ― Kristen Ashley, Fire Inside
- “It’s toughest to forgive ourselves. So it’s probably best to start with other people. It’s almost like peeling an onion. Layer by layer, forgiving others, you really do get to the point where you can forgive yourself.” ― Patty Duke
- “When you initially forgive, it is like letting go of a hot iron. There is initial pain and the scars will show, but you can start living again.” ― Stephen Richards, Releasing You From The Past: Healing Past Hurt Through Forgiveness
- “Take a walk through the garden of forgiveness and pick a flower of forgiveness for everything you have ever done. When you get to that time that is now, make a full and total forgiveness of your entire life and smile at the bouquet in your hands because it truly is beautiful.” ― Stephen Richards
- “Shake hands with yourself. Forgive yourself and you can learn to love yourself and others in the manner that brings you the greatest fulfillment of all. With love, all things are truly possible. – Charmainism” ― Charmaine Smith Ladd, Shake Hands with Yourself: A Peacemaker’s Guide to Happiness & Inner Peace
- “Turn down the volume of your negative inner voice and create a nurturing inner voice to take it’s place. When you make a mistake, forgive yourself, learn from it, and move on instead of obsessing about it. Equally important, don’t allow anyone else to dwell on your mistakes or shortcomings or to expect perfection from you.” ― Beverly Engel.
- “Embrace YOU…Believe in yourself, in this very moment…forgive yourself for all mistakes and ‘bad’ decisions you may have made in the past. Do not allow others’ opinions or judgments of who you were yesterday or decades ago to define who you are today. ” ― Angie Karan
Everyone makes mistakes, but hanging on to those regrets and clinging on to your past mistakes will just upset your present.
Learning from your mistakes, moving on, and forgiving yourself is important for your mental well-being. Stop reliving your past mistakes, instead release them, let them go, and move on.
If you are encouraged by these wise words of wisdom then check our collection of when children hurt their parents quotes and self love quotes to inspire you to value yourself on a priority basis.
Feel free to share with friends and family on Facebook, Tumblr, Instagram, WhatsApp, Twitter, and more to motivate and uplift their mood every morning.
If we have missed some quotes, share them with us in the comment section below and we shall be happy to add it to the list.