The former First Lady of the United States Michelle Obama has been inspiring many with her words of inspiration for over a decade. Whether it’s from her bestselling book ‘Becoming,’ her Netflix documentary, or her recent words on the campaign trail, her wisdom shines bright. Here are some of my favourite Michelle Obama quotes. They touch on topics about life, hope, hard work, success, education, racism, and leadership to inspire you to follow your dreams.
From a young age, she had a thirst for knowledge and a passion for serving others to make a difference and make the world a better place.
With her unwavering commitment, dedication, and intelligence, Obama served as a role model for women and worked as an advocate for important causes like education, support for military families, nutrition, physical activity, and healthy living.
Her best-selling memoir “Becoming” had a profound impact on society. In the book, she shared how she found her voice, her time in the White House, her public health campaign, and her role as a mother.
Her work to empower the youth and her dedication to education inspired millions of people around the globe. Let’s read some of her greatest sayings!
Top 10 Michelle Obama Quotes
- “I am still in progress, and I hope that I always will be.” — Michelle Obama
- “How hard you work matters more than how much you make.” — Michelle Obama
- “Every mother works hard, and every woman deserves to be respected.” — Michelle Obama
- “Your story is what you have, what you will always have. It is something to own.” — Michelle Obama
- “There are still many causes worth sacrificing for, so much history yet to be made.” — Michelle Obama
- “Just do what works for you because there will always be someone who thinks differently.” — Michelle Obama
- “You don’t have to be somebody different to be important. You are important in your own right.” — Michelle Obama
- “Success isn’t about how much money you make. It’s about the difference you make in people’s lives.” — Michelle Obama
- “Success isn’t about how your life looks to others. It’s about how it feels to you.” — Michelle Obama
- “I was determined to be someone who told the truth, using my voice to lift up the voiceless when I could, and to not disappear on people in need.” — Michelle Obama
Famous Quotes By Michelle Obama
- “I’m not done. I’m too young to stop.” — Michelle Obama
- “Being President doesn’t change who you are—it reveals who you are.” — Michelle Obama
- “Just try new things. Don’t be afraid Step out of your comfort zones and spar all right?” — Michel Obama
- “Don’t ever make decisions based on fear. Make decisions based on hope and possibility.” — Michelle Obama
- “Always stay true to yourself and never let what somebody says distract you from your goals.” — Michelle Obama
- “Men who are truly role models don’t need to put down women to make themselves feel powerful.” — Michelle Obama
- “I’ve seen people who are hungry to be unified around some basic common issues, and it’s made me proud.” — Michelle Obama
- “When someone is cruel or acts like a bully, you don’t stoop to their level. No, our motto is, ‘When they go low, we go high.’” — Michelle Obama
- “Walk away from friendships that make you feel small and insecure, and seek out people who inspire you and support you.” — Michelle Obama
- “Instead of letting your hardships and failures discourage or exhaust you, let them inspire you. Let them make you even hungrier to succeed.” — Michelle Obama
Empowering Michelle Obama Quotes
These inspirational Michelle Obama quotes and sayings will remind you of her message of hope, unity, and the power of education. These quotes from her books, speeches, and more will also inspire you to bring positive change in yourself and the world around you.
- “There is no limit to what we, as women, can accomplish.” — Michelle Obama
- “Courage can be contagious and hope can take on a life of its own.” — Michelle Obama
- “When girls are educated, their countries become stronger and more prosperous.” — Michelle Obama
- “There is no magic to achievement. It is really about hard work, choices, & persistence.” — Michelle Obama
- “Failure is an important part of your growth and developing resilience. Don’t be afraid to fail.” — Michelle Obama
- “Every girl, no matter where she lives, deserves the opportunity to develop the promise inside of her.” — Michelle Obama
- “The only limit to the height of your achievements is the reach of your dreams and your willingness to work hard for them.” — Michelle Obama
- “No country can ever truly flourish if it stifles the potential of its women and deprives itself of the contributions of half its citizens.” — Michelle Obama
- “Whether you come from a council estate or a country estate, your success will be determined by your own confidence and fortitude.” — Michelle Obama
- “Every day, you have the power to choose our better history—by opening your hearts and minds, by speaking up for what you know is right.” — Michelle Obama
Quotes From Michelle Obama’s Becoming
- “Becoming requires equal parts patience and rigor. Becoming is never giving up on the idea that there’s more growing to be done.” — Michelle Obama, Becoming
- “happy seemed like a starting place for everything.” ― Michelle Obama
- “There are truths we face and truths we ignore.” ― Michelle Obama
- “To me, there was magic in the learning.” — Michelle Obama
- “The easiest way to disregard a woman’s voice is to package her as a scold.” ― Michelle Obama
- “Failure is a feeling long before it becomes an actual result. It’s vulnerability that breeds with self-doubt and then is escalated, often deliberately, by fear.” — Michelle Obama
- “My purpose had always been to see past my neighborhood—to look ahead and overcome.” ― Michelle Obama
- “For me, becoming isn’t about arriving somewhere or achieving a certain aim. I see it instead as forward motion, a means of evolving, a way to reach continuously toward a better self. The journey doesn’t end.” — Michelle Obama
Michelle Obama Quotes
- “You cannot take your freedoms for granted. Just like generations who have come before you, you have to do your part to preserve and protect those freedoms.” — Michelle Obama
- “You don’t really know how attached you are until you move away, until you’ve experienced what it means to be dislodged, a cork floating on the ocean of another place.” — Michelle Obama
- “Reach for partners that make you better. Do not bring people into your life who weigh you down. Good relationships feel good. They feel right. They don’t hurt.” — Michelle Obama
- “It’s important for you to understand that your experience facing and overcoming adversity is actually one of your biggest advantages.” — Michelle Obama
- “If there’s one thing I’ve learned in life, it’s the power of using your voice. I tried my best to speak the truth and shed light on the stories of people who are often brushed aside.” — Michelle Obama
- “Confidence, I’d learned then, sometimes needs to be called from within. I’ve repeated the same words to myself many times now, through many climbs: ‘Am I good enough? Yes I am.’” — Michelle Obama
- “You have to fill your bucket with positive energy—and if you have people hanging around you that are bringing you down and not lifting you up, whether that’s your ‘boo’ or your best friend—you have to learn how to push these people to the side.” — Michelle Obama
Best Quotes From Michelle Obama
- “In life, you control what you can.” — Michelle Obama
- “Grief and resilience live together.” — Michelle Obama
- “Bullies were scared people hiding inside scary people.” — Michelle Obama
- “Dominance, even the threat of it, is a form of dehumanization. It’s the ugliest kind of power.” — Michelle Obama
- “If you don’t get out there and define yourself, you’ll be quickly and inaccurately defined by others.” — Michelle Obama
- “Focus on what you can control. Be a good person every day. Vote. Read. Treat one another kindly. Follow the law. Don’t tweet nasty stuff.” — Michelle Obama
- “Friendships between women, as any woman will tell you, are built of a thousand small kindnesses…swapped back and forth and over again.” — Michelle Obama
- “With every word we utter, with every action we take, we know our kids are watching us. We as parents, are their most important role models.” — Michelle Obama
- “Do not ever let anyone make you feel like you don’t matter, or like you don’t have a place in our American story—because you do. And you have a right to be exactly who you are.” — Michelle Obama
- “Be focused. Be determined. Be hopeful. Be empowered. Empower yourselves with a good education, then get out there and use that education to build a country worthy of your boundless promise. Lead by example with hope, never fear.” — Michelle Obama
More About Michelle Obama’s Life
Michelle LaVaughn Robinson Obama is a lawyer, activist, bestselling author, style icon, and the former first lady of the United States (and the first Black first lady), married to the 44th President Barack Obama.
Barack Obama became the first African American to be elected as the President of the United States in 2008. As the first lady, Michelle Obama took multiple initiatives.
First being the “Let’s Move” campaign, which encouraged physical activity for children to reduce childhood obesity. She also introduced “Joining Forces” with the second lady Dr. Jill Biden, an initiative to support veterans and their families.
Her passion for supporting young people to pursue their dreams led her to “Reach Higher,” a campaign to encourage higher education for students.
Michelle introduced another initiative named “Let Girls Learn” to promote education for adolescent girls around the world.
What are your favourite Michelle Obama quotes and sayings listed above? If there is a quote that we’ve missed then let us know in the comments section what your thoughts are.
So, feel free to share with friends and family on Facebook, Tumblr, Twitter, Instagram, WhatsApp, and more to spread positive vibes.