65 Vince Lombardi Quotes that Inspire Winning Attitudes
Motivate yourself to win with these Vince Lombardi quotes that will inspire you to relentlessly chase your dreams and never give up, no matter the challenges you face.
Vince Lombardi was a renowned American football coach, best known as the head coach of the Green Bay Packers during the 1960s.
He is widely considered one of the greatest and most successful coaches in National Football League (NFL) history.
Also See: Mentor Quotes
He believed in teamwork and was known for his leadership, discipline, and motivational skills. His approach was simple yet highly effective.
Lombardi’s philosophy extended beyond football and his words have encouraged players and sportsmen around the world.
These encouraging Vince Lombardi quotes about discipline, leadership, success, teamwork, practice, and preparation will motivate you to be successful in life.
Top 10 Vince Lombardi Quotes
- “Winners never quit, and quitters never win.” ― Vince Lombardi
- “Winning isn’t everything, but wanting to win is.” ― Vince Lombardi
- “Confidence is contagious. So is lack of confidence.” ― Vince Lombardi
- “The harder you work, the harder it is to surrender.” ― Vince Lombardi
- “The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.” ― Vince Lombardi
- “It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” ― Vince Lombardi
- “Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence.” ― Vince Lombardi
- “Individual commitment to a group effort—that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work.” ― Vince Lombardi
- “The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack in will.” ― Vince Lombardi
- “Leaders are made, they are not born. They are made by hard effort, which is the price which all of us must pay to achieve any goal that is worthwhile.” ― Vince Lombardi
Best Quotes By Vince Lombardi
- “Success demands singleness of purpose.” ― Vince Lombardi
- “Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.” ― Vince Lombardi
- “The man on the top of the mountain didn’t fall there.” ― Vince Lombardi
- “The strength of the group is the strength of the leaders.” ― Vince Lombardi
- “If you’re not making mistakes, you’re not trying hard enough.” ― Vince Lombardi
- “If you can accept losing, you can’t win. If you can walk, you can run.” ― Vince Lombardi
- “There’s only one way to succeed at anything and that is to give everything.” ― Vince Lombardi
- “We would accomplish many more things if we did not think of them as impossible.” ― Vince Lombardi
- “The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall.” ― Vince Lombardi
- “The achievements of an organization are the results of the combined effort of each individual.” ― Vince Lombardi
- “The good Lord gave you a body that can stand most anything. It’s your mind you have to convince.” ― Vince Lombardi
- “If you’ll not settle for anything less than your best, you will be amazed at what you can accomplish in your lives.” ― Vince Lombardi
- “Build for your team a feeling of oneness, of dependence on one another and of strength to be derived by unity.” ― Vince Lombardi
- “Once a man has made a commitment to a way of life, he puts the greatest strength in the world behind him. It’s something we call heart power. Once a man has made this commitment, nothing will stop him short of success.” ― Vince Lombardi
- “The darkest moments of our lives are not to be buried and forgotten, rather they are a memory to be called upon for inspiration to remind us of the unrelenting human spirit and our capacity to overcome the intolerable.” ― Vince Lombardi
Vince Lombardi Quotes On Perfection & Excellence
- “Practice doesn’t make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect.” ― Vince Lombardi
- “There is something good in men that really yearn for discipline.” ― Vince Lombardi
- “Success rests not only on ability, but upon commitment, loyalty, and pride.” ― Vince Lombardi
- “But the spirit, the will to excel, the will to win, these are the things that endure.” ― Vince Lombardi
- “Most people fail, not because of lack of desire, but, because of lack of commitment.” ― Vince Lombardi
- “The successful man is himself. To be successful you’ve got to be honest with yourself.” ― Vince Lombardi
- “I will demand a commitment to excellence and to victory, and that is what life is all about.” ― Vince Lombardi
- “Every job is a self portrait of the person who did it. Autography your work with excellence.” ― Vince Lombardi
- “Some of us will do our jobs well and some will not. But we will be judged by only one thing—the result.” ― Vince Lombardi
- “The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That’s real glory. That’s the essence of it.” ― Vince Lombardi
- “The quality of a person’s life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor.” ― Vince Lombardi
- “Winning is a habit. Watch your thoughts, they become beliefs. Watch beliefs, they become words. Watch your words, they become your actions.” ― Vince Lombardi
- “Excellence must be pursued, it must be wooed with all of one’s might and every bit of effort that we have each day there’s a new encounter, each week is a new challenge.” ― Vince Lombardi
- “Once you have established the goals you want and the price you’re willing to pay, you can ignore the minor hurts, the opponent’s pressure and the temporary failures.” ― Vince Lombardi
- “The price of success is hard work, dedication to the job at hand, and the determination that whether we win or lose, we have applied the best of ourselves to the task at hand.” ― Vince Lombardi
Vince Lombardi Quotes On Winning
- “We run to win, not just to be in the race.” ― Vince Lombardi
- “Winning isn’t everything, it is the only thing.” ― Vince Lombardi
- “The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have.” ― Vince Lombardi
- “If it doesn’t matter who wins or loses, then why do they keep score?” ― Vince Lombardi
- “Everyone has the will to win but very few have the will to prepare to win.” ― Vince Lombardi
- “The objective is to win—fairly, squarely, decently. Win by the rules, but still, win.” ― Vince Lombardi
- “Winning means you’re willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else.” ― Vince Lombardi
- “Winning isn’t everything, but it’s the only thing. In our business there is no second place; you’re either first, or last.” ― Vince Lombardi
- “It’s easy to have faith in yourself and have discipline when you’re a winner, when you’re number one. What you got to have is faith and discipline when you’re not a winner.” ― Vince Lombardi
- “Winning is not a sometime thing; it’s an all the time thing. You don’t win once in a while… you don’t do things right once in a while… you do them right all the time. Winning is a habit. Unfortunately so is losing.” ― Vince Lombardi
Inspirational Vince Lombardi Quote
- “Fatigue makes cowards of us all.” ― Vince Lombardi
- “Nobody is hurt. Hurt is in the mind.” ― Vince Lombardi
- “Mental toughness is essential to success.” ― Vince Lombardi
- “You’ve got to play with your heart—with every fiber of your body.” ― Vince Lombardi
- “Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off of the goal.” ― Vince Lombardi
- “If you aren’t fired with enthusiasm, you will be fired with enthusiasm.” ― Vince Lombardi
- “Character is just another word for having a perfectly disciplined and educated will.” ― Vince Lombardi
- “No leader, however great, can long continue unless he wins battles. The battle decides all.” ― Vince Lombardi
- “When you’ve got the momentum in a football game, that is a time to keep going and get it into the end zone.” ― Vince Lombardi
- “At many moments in a day, I am convinced that pro football must be a game for madmen, and I must be one of them.” ― Vince Lombardi
- “People who work together will win, whether it be against complex football defenses, or the problems of modern society.” ― Vince Lombardi
- “Don’t succumb to excuses. Go back to the job of making the corrections and forming the habits that will make your goal possible.” ― Vince Lombardi
- “You can’t always be first, but you have to believe that you should have been—that you were never beaten that time just ran out on you.” ― Vince Lombardi
- “The challenge of every team is to build a feeling of oneness, of dependence on one another because the question is usually not how well each person performs, but how well they work together.” ― Vince Lombardi
- “I firmly believe that any man’s finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle — victorious.” ― Vince Lombardi
Lombardi’s achievements reflect his remarkable ability to build winning teams and his exceptional leadership skills. His legacy continues to inspire players and coaches today.
- Lombardi led the Packers to win five NFL Championships in seven years, in 1961, 1962, 1965, 1966, and 1967. This was an incredible feat and cemented Lombardi’s legacy as one of the greatest coaches in NFL history.
- The Packers won the first two Super Bowls (Super Bowl I and II) under Lombardi’s leadership in the 1966 and 1967 seasons.
- In 1971, Lombardi was posthumously inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
- The Super Bowl trophy was renamed the Vince Lombardi Trophy in his honor after his death in 1970. The trophy is given each year to the team that wins the Super Bowl.
- Lombardi was named NFL Coach of the Year by the Associated Press in 1959, the first year he coached the Green Bay Packers.
- In 1962, Lombardi was named Sports Illustrated’s Sportsman of the Year.
Also, check our collection of Bobby Knight quotes and Keanu Reeves quotes to inspire and motivate you.
Feel free to share with friends and family on Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp, Tumblr, Pinterest, and more to spread some wise words of wisdom and share your feelings in words.