Looking for inspirational quotes about building a great reputation? We have rounded up the best collection of reputation quotes, sayings, captions, and status (with images and pictures) to inspire you to always act with integrity, honesty, and courage to develop a strong character.
Reputation is an overall quality or character as seen or judged by people in general. The reputation of a person is based on the opinion that people have of someone or something, based on past behavior or character.
These encouraging quotes about reputation are very relevant for students, kids, and adults to lay a strong foundation for an invincible character. A person with a good reputation has high credibility and trust amongst others.
Also See: Good Person Quotes
The mental and moral qualities distinctive to an individual develop one personality and character. Always be a man of character means a man of his words and righteousness. These motivational quotes on a good reputation will inspire you to build one.
10 Famous Reputation Quotes
- “Work is the price which is paid for reputation.” – Baltasar Gracian
- “A good reputation is more valuable than money.” – Publilius Syrus
- “Self-esteem is the reputation you have with yourself.” – Brian Tracy
- “Give a man a reputation as an early riser and he can sleep ’til noon.” – Mark Twain
- “He who worries about reputation has a reputation to worry about.” – Edwin Leibfreed
- “The way to gain a good reputation is to endeavor to be what you desire to appear.” – Socrates
- “A reputation for a thousand years may depend upon the conduct of a single moment.” – Ernest Bramah
- “It takes many good deeds to build a good reputation, and only one bad one to lose it.” – Benjamin Franklin
- “Reputation is an idle and most false imposition; oft got without merit, and lost without deserving.” – William Shakespeare
- “Reputation is but a synonym of popularity: dependent on suffrage, to be increased or diminished at the will of the voters.” – Washington Allston
Best Quotes About Reputation
Reputation determines the social standing of a person or organization in the society. A person enjoying good reputation is definitely preferred for better jobs and for taking up leadership roles. And good reputation has never hurt anyone.
- “At every word a reputation dies.” – Alexander Pope
- “Reputation is rarely proportioned to virtue.” – St. Evermond
- “Concealed talent brings no reputation.” – Desiderius Erasmus
- “A man can get a reputation from very small things.” – Sophocles
- “Love, like reputation, once fled, never returns more.” – Aphra Behn
- “You can’t build a reputation on what you are going to do.” – Henry Ford
- “With enough courage, you can do without a reputation.” – Margaret Mitchell
- “Man is a little bit better than his reputation, and a little bit worse.” – Al Pacino
- “Repetition makes reputation, and reputation makes customers.” – Elizabeth Arden
- “People are almost always better than their neighbors think they are.” – George Eliot
- “A bad conscience is easier to cope with than a bad reputation.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
- “Reputation is like fine china: Once broken it’s very hard to repair.” – Abraham Lincoln
- “Begin somewhere. You cannot build a reputation on what you intend to do.” – Liz Smith
- “Our reputation is more important than the last hundred million dollars.” – Rupert Murdoch
- “There is no advertisement as powerful as a positive reputation traveling fast.” – Brian Koslow
- “One of the fruits of longevity is establishing a reputation you may not deserve.” – Carolyn Hart
- “A person leaves a reputation, bad or good, behind wherever he works or stay.” – Chinses Proverb
- “Reputations, like beavers and cloaks, shall last some people twice the time of others.” – Douglas Jerrold
- “When a man has once gained a Reputation not even with God’s help can he get rid of it.” – Abraham Miller
- “Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the bastards.” – Lois McMaster Bujold
- “The nicest feeling in the world is to do a good deed anonymously-and have somebody find out.” – Oscar Wilde
- “Make three correct guesses consecutively and you will establish a reputation as an expert.” – Laurence J. Peter
- “Reputation is what men and women think of us; character is what God and angels know of us.” –Thomas Paine
- “Until you’ve lost your reputation, you never realize what a burden it was or what freedom really is.” – Margaret Mitchell
- “A mathematician’s reputation rests on the number of bad proofs he has given.” – Abram Samoilovitch Besicovitch
- “My reputation is too important to put it aside for purposes of some friendship. We have a job to do.” – Stephanie Tubbs Jones
- “Once their trust grows stronger, reputation is built. And in the digital age, reputation is more expensive than anything.” – Pooja Agnihotri
- “Reputation, reputation, reputation! O, I ha lost my reputation, I ha lost the immortal part of myself, and what remains is bestial!” – William Shakespeare
- “Your women of honor, as you call em, are only chary of their reputations, not their persons; and Tis scandal that they would avoid, not men.” – William Wycherley
- “Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.” – John Wooden
Character vs Reputation Quotes
People often use the words character and reputation interchangibly. But the two words are quite different in meaning.
Character is who you are (internal), but reputation is how the society sees you (external). A person with a strong character will have high morals, integrity and principles to live his life.
Character is the distinctive qualities of an individual whereas reputation is the general opinion of others of a person. Character takes years to build whereas reputation is built in a very short period.
- “Character is much easier kept than recovered.” – Thomas Paine
- “Reputation is for time; character is for eternity.” – John Bartholomew Gough
- “Reputation is character minus what you’ve been caught doing.” – Michael Iapoce
- “If I take care of my character, my reputation will take care of itself.” – D.L. Moody
- “Many a man’s reputation would not know his character if they met on the street.” – Elbert Hubbard
- “The most important thing for a young man is to establish a credit … a reputation, character.” – John D. Rockefeller
- “Character is like a tree, and reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.” – Abraham Lincoln
- “Worry about your character, not your reputation. Your character is who you are. Your reputation is who people think you are.” – John Wooden
- “Focus on your strengths, not your weaknesses. Focus on your character, not your reputation. Focus on your blessings, not your misfortunes.” – Roy T. Bennett
- “Your reputation is in the hands of others. That’s what the reputation is. You can’t control that. The only thing you can control is your character.” – Wayne W. Dyer
Top 10 Quotes about Reputation and Integrity
- “You can’t buy a good reputation; you must earn it.” – Harvey Mackay
- “You’re not born with a walk like that. You have to earn it.” – Donna Ball
- “You can’t keep a clean reputation hanging out with messy people.” – Unknown
- “As a general rule, a reputation is built on manner as much as on achievement” – Joseph Conrad
- “We would all like a reputation for generosity and we’d all like to buy it cheap.” – Mignon McLaughlin
- “How many worthy men have we seen survive their own reputations!” – Michel Eyquem De Montaigne
- “No man can understand why a woman shouldn’t prefer a good reputation to a good time.” – Helen Rowland
- “Treat a man as if he had a fine reputation to protect, and he will usually endeavor to deserve it.” – Orson Scott Card
- “No matter how educated, talented, rich or cool you believe you are, how you treat people ultimately tells all. Integrity is everything.” – Unknown
- “The reputation of a man is like his shadow, gigantic when it precedes him, and pigmy in its proportions when it follows.” – Charles Maurice de Talleyrand
Reputation Quotes For Business
- “My reputation grows with every failure.” – George Bernard Shaw
- “Once established, reputations do not easily change.” – Albert Bandura
- “Your brand name is only as good as your reputation.” – Richard Branson
- “Time goes by, reputation increases, ability declines.” – Dag Hammarskjold
- “Repetition makes reputation and reputation makes customers.” – Elizabeth Arden
- “Take care of your reputation. It’s your most valuable asset.” – H. Jackson Brown Jr
- “How difficult it is to save the bark of reputation from the rocks of ignorance.” – Petrarch
- “He that is respectless in his courses oft sells his reputation at cheap market.” – Ben Jonson
- “A brand is what a business does, reputation is what people is what people remember.” – Ted Rubin
- “A good reputation is like the cypress; once cut, it never puts forth leaf again.” – Francesco Guicciardini
- “A brand for a company is like a reputation for a person. You earn reputation by trying to do hard things well.” – Jeff Bezos
- “There are two modes of establishing our reputation; to be praised by honest men, and to be abused by rogues.” – Charles Caleb Colton
- “Lawyers are very, very good at keeping you out of prison, but they will sacrifice your reputation and credibility to do so.” – Barney Frank
- “Success produces confidence, confidence relaxes industry, and negligence ruins the reputation which accuracy had raised.” – Ben Jonson
- “It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it. If you think about that, you’ll do things differently.” – Warren Buffett
- “Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for ’tis better to be alone than in bad company.” – George Washington
- “A reputation once broken may possibly be repaired, but the world will always keep their eyes on the spot where the crack was.” – Joseph Hall
- “When a management with a reputation for brilliance tackles a business with a reputation for bad economics, it is the reputation of the business that remains intact.” – Warren Buffett
- “The blaze of reputation cannot be blown out, but it often dies in the socket; a very few names may be considered as perpetual lamps that shine unconsumed.” – Samuel Johnson
- “First, make yourself a reputation for being a creative genius. Second, surround yourself with partners who are better than you are. Third, leave them to go get on with it.” – David Ogilvy
Successful people have always stressed on the maintaining of reputation as a fundamental ingredient to success. Image building through social media and social work is a common phenomenon these days.
Like all good things, it takes a long time to build a good reputation and almost no time to lose it. So one should be very careful with his words and actions as everything influences your reputation.
A person of high character, who does good things, keeps his word, and has a good conscience, will always have a good reputation and vice versa.
If you like these inspirational principles and great reputation quotations, then also check our collection of generosity quotes and helping others quotes to inspire you to be kind and positive in all situations.
Feel free to share with friends and family on Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp, Tumblr, Pinterest, and more to spread some wise words of wisdom and share your feelings in words.
If we have missed some quotes, share it with us in the comment section below and we shall be happy to add it to the list.