Looking for some motivation to live an honorable life with dignity and integrity? I have rounded up the best collection of honor quotes, sayings, and captions to inspire you to always act with integrity, honesty, and courage to develop a strong character.
Honor is a multifaceted concept, encompassing elements such as integrity, respect, dignity, courage, trust, and humility.
Honor is respecting and valuing another person because of high standards of behavior and moral character. It is the cornerstone of our character.
Honor is an important virtue, it has been deeply embedded in many cultures throughout history and continues to be so.
These honor quotations often reflect the importance of honor and its connection to other important values such as truth, justice, and morality.
Being honorable can take you far in life because an honorable person is said to have a higher standard of morals and ethics and is regarded as an asset to society.
There are many quotes about honor that have been written and spoken by notable figures from famous personalities and some of the greatest minds in history.
Top 10 Honor Quotes To Live By
- “Ability without honor is useless.” – Marcus Tullius Cicero
- “I love the name of honor, more than I fear death.” – Julius Caesar
- “Honor wears different coats to different eyes.” – Barbara Tuchman
- “It is not titles that honor men but men that honor titles.” – Niccolo Machiavelli
- “The greatest way to live with honor in this world is to be what we pretend to be.” – Socrates
- “As he was valiant, I honor him. But as he was ambitious, I slew him.” – William Shakespeare
- “The most tragic thing in the world is a man of genius who is not a man of honor.” – George Bernard Shaw
- “Humility forms the basis of honor, just as the low ground forms the foundation of a high elevation.” – Bruce Lee
- “Success without honor is an unseasoned dish; it will satisfy your hunger but it won’t taste good.” – Joe Paterno
- “No person was ever honored for what he received. Honor has been the reward for what he gave.” – Calvin Coolidge
Best Quotes About Honor
Honor is a code of conduct that dictates how you should behave to be respected by others. It is a system of values that helps us make the right decisions when we’re faced with difficult choices.
Either way, honor is an important part of your culture, and it plays a role in shaping who you are as a people. It’s something that unites you and sets you apart from the rest of the world.
- “Honor isn’t given, it’s earned.” – Unknown
- “Honor is the presence of God in man.” – Pat Conroy
- “If you can’t honor your words don’t use them.” – Unknown
- “Honor the space between no longer and not yet.” – Nancy Levin
- “A man without honor is worse than dead.” – Miguel de Cervantes
- “You have to defend your honor. And your family.” – Suzanne Vega
- “Stand for what is right. Even if it means standing alone.” – Unknown
- “True honor is an outflow from a heart that fears God.” – John Bevere
- “Acts of honor come from honor written upon the heart.” – Joseph A. Nosak
- “If you want to be a hero, you need to have dreams and honor.” – Angeal Hewley
- “When faith is lost, when honor dies, the man is dead.” – John Greenleaf Whittier
- “The higher one’s honor in the sight of God the more severe the test becomes.” – Unknown
- “He was a man, take him for all in all, I shall not look upon his like again.” – William Shakespeare
- “Honor and shame from no condition rise. Act well your part: there all the honor lies.” – Alexander Pope
- “Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself.” – Lois McMaster
- “It takes less time to do a thing right, than it does to explain why you did it wrong.” – Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- “Never esteem anything as of advantage to you that will make you break your word or lose your self-respect.” –Marcus Aurelius
- “All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.” – Winston Churchill
- “The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “The shortest and surest way to live with honor in the world, is to be in reality what we would appear to be; all human virtues increase and strengthen themselves by the practice and experience of them.” – Socrates
Powerful Quotes About Honor That Inspire Integrity
When you live with honor and integrity, you don’t have to remember what you said to whom, play games, or fear embarrassment.
An honorable person is totally authentic and comfortable in his/her skin. Being honest and trustworthy in everything that you do can help you in becoming a more honorable person.
- “What is left when honor is lost?” – Publilius Syrus
- “An honor is not diminished for being shared.” – Unknown
- “It is always an honor to put on a uniform.” – Manny Machado
- “Honor has not to be won: it must only not be lost.” – Unknown
- “Honor is not what you say. Honor is what you do.” – Pierce Brown
- “Be honorable yourself if you wish to associate with honorable people.” – Proverb
- “Loyalty, honor, a willing heart, I can ask no more than that.” – Thorin Oakenshield
- “You can abandon your own body but never let go of your honor.” – Miyamoto Musashi
- “When you want to be honored by others, you learn to honor them first.” – Sathya Sai Baba
- “Honor who you are first and foremost. Self-Respect and Integrity will win the day.” – Julie Orlov
- “A man of honor should never forget what he is because he sees what others are.” – Baltasar Gracian
- “A culture of honor is celebrating who a person is without stumbling over who they’re not.” – Bill Johnson
- “It is honor that makes commerce possible, dear brother. And the law courts, when men lack it.” – Edward Cline
- “I deserve to have boundaries, and my boundaries are respected. I love and honor myself. I am safe. All is well.” – Louise Hay
- “Never fail to HONOR your people. When a true leader’s work is done and his aims fulfilled, they should say and believe, ‘We did this ourselves’.” – George S. Patton
- “To live with honor means you adopt a higher standard. You rise above the status quo and reflect a system of values bigger than you are as an individual.” – Stephen Kendrick
- “Honor belongs to those who never forsake the truth even when things seem dark and grim, who try over and over again, who are never discouraged by insults, humiliation and even defeat.” – Nelson Mandela
- “Developing Honor: Never cheat to get ahead, always help someone in need, never compromise your values, ever, never be, or see yourself as, a victim, never stab a man in the back even if he’s done it to you.” – Chad Howse
Famous Quotes On Honor
- “Honor is simply the morality of superior men.” – H.L. Mencken
- “The biggest reward for a thing well done is to have done it.” – Voltaire
- “An honor prudently declined often returns with increased luster.” – Livy
- “The place should not honor the man, but the man the place.” – Agesilaus
- “No amount of ability is of the slightest avail without honor.” – Andrew Carnegie
- “He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher.” – Walt Whitman
- “Keep your word. Honor commitments and they will double back to honor you.” – Bill Rancic
- “The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “Honor is not a matter of any man’s calling merely, but rather of his own actions in it.” – John S. Dwight
- “Mine honor is my life; both grow in one; take honor from me and my life is done.” – William Shakespeare
- “You will never do anything in this world without courage. It is the greatest quality of the mind next to honor.” – Aristotle
- “There never was a person who did anything worth doing who did not receive more than he gave.” – Henry Ward Beecher
- “The honor of a country depends much more on removing its faults than on boasting of its qualities.” – Giuseppe Mazzini
- “We treat people like royalty. If you honor and serve the people who work for you, they will honor and serve you.” – Mary Kay Ash
- “Honor bespeaks worth. Confidence begets trust. Service brings satisfaction. Cooperation proves the quality of leadership.” – James Cash Penney
- “Honor is like the eye, which cannot suffer the least injury without damage; it is a precious stone, the price of which is lessened by the least flaw.” – Jacques Boussuet
- “Our country’s honor calls upon us for a vigorous and manly exertion; and if we now shamefully fail, we shall become infamous to the whole world.” – George Washington
- “Fail to honor people, they fail to honor you; but of a good leader, who talks little, when his work is done, his aims fulfilled, they will all say, ‘We did this ourselves.’” – Lao Tzu
- “The difference between a moral man and a man of honor is that the latter regrets a discreditable act; even when it has worked and he has not been caught.” – H.L. Mencken
- “All honor to him who shall win the prize, ‘The world has cried for a thousand years; But to him who tries and fails and dies, I give great honor and glory and tears.” – Joaquin Miller
Inspirational Quotes On Respect And Honor
You do the right thing, even when no one is looking. Honor is what makes us who we are, and it’s something that we should all strive for.
- “My pain is my badge of honor.” – Ray Lewis
“Honor lies in honest toil.” – Grover Cleveland
“Honor your life by living to the fullest.” – Unknown
- “You should not honor men more than truth.” – Plato
- “Who sows virtue reaps honor.” – Leonardo da Vinci
- “My friend should honor him who honors me.” – Homer
- “The post of honor is a private station.” – Joseph Addison
- “Respect is EARNED but honor is GIVEN.” – Craig Groeschel
- “He who lives without discipline dies without honor.” – Proverb
- “Honor is the moral conscience of the great.” – Sir W. Davenant
- “It is better to be alone than in bad company.” – George Washington
- “To be inspired is great, but to be an inspiration is an honor.” – Unknown
- “…sometimes compassion is the greater part of honor..” – Rachel Vincent
- “I would prefer even to fail with honor than win by cheating.” – Sophocles
- “Respect the training. Honor the commitment. Cherish the results.” – Unknown
- “Our own heart, and not other men’s opinions, forms our true honor.” – Samuel Taylor Coleridge
- “Respect others. Demand respect; don’t allow yourself to be disrespected by anyone.” – Nicoline Ambe
- “It’s an honor that should be given to all veterans, regardless of service or combat status.” – Bruce Perry
- “When respect is shown according to what is proper, one keeps far from shame and disgrace.” – Confucius
- “I was raised by parents who taught me to love and respect people regardless of their race or background.” –Michael Jordan
- “Honor means that a man is not exceptional; fame, that he is. Fame is something which must be won; honor, only something which must not be lost.” – Arthur Schopenhauer
Some quotes focus on the idea that honor is something that must be earned through a lifetime of good deeds and virtuous behavior, while others emphasize the importance of upholding one’s honor in the face of adversity.
If you like these famous quotes about honor then check out our collection of good person quotes and reputation quotes to inspire you to never stop being good to others and always stay kind and humble.
If you think you can relate to uplifting quotes feel free to spread your feelings and share them with friends and family on Pinterest, Facebook, Tumblr, Instagram, Twitter, and more.
If we have missed some quotes, share them with us in the comment section below and we shall be happy to add them to the list.