Greta Thunberg, the teenage climate activist from Sweden needs no introduction. Her commitment and dedication to environmental consciousness have inspired millions across the globe to fight against climate change, making her a global icon of change. Here are the best Greta Thunberg quotes and speeches about climate change, the environment, pollution, and more that will inspire you to take action for a better future.
Greta Thunberg drew global attention in 2018 by organizing a series of protests outside the Swedish Parliament demanding stronger climate action.
Her efforts soon led to the birth of the global movement “Fridays for Future,” inspiring many other young activists and students to join the school strike for the climate movement and raise their voices for the cause.
After receiving numerous invitations to speak about climate change, Thunberg drew attention for her emotional and heartfelt comments in her speech at a UN climate event in New York City in September 2019.
She said, “You have stolen my dreams and my childhood with your empty words…We are in the beginning of a mass extinction, and all you can talk about is money, and fairy tales of eternal economic growth. How dare you!”
From using analogies such as “Our House Is On Fire” to her “blah blah blah,” comment in her speech at COP26 in Glasgow, Thunberg took a stand against world leaders for their failure to address the climate crisis.
Also Check: Earth Day Quotes
These inspiring Greta Thunberg quotes throw light on themes of environmental responsibility, youth empowerment, climate activism, and the urgent need for climate change.
Top 10 Greta Thunberg Quotes
- “This is not a one-time thing, this is our entire future.” — Greta Thunberg
- “I have learned you are never too small to make a difference.” — Greta Thunberg
- “It is our future on the line, and we must at least have a say in it.” — Greta Thunberg
- “To do your best is no longer good enough. We now have to do the seemingly impossible.” — Greta Thunberg
- “I want you to act like your house is on fire. Because it is.” — Greta Thunberg
- “You must take action. You must do the impossible. Because giving up is never an option.” — Greta Thunberg
- “You say that you love your children above everything else. And yet you are stealing their future.” — Greta Thunberg
- “When haters go after your looks and differences, it means they have nowhere left to go. And then you know you’re winning!” — Greta Thunberg
- “Being young is a great advantage, since we see the world from a new perspective and we are not afraid to make radical changes.” — Greta Thunberg
- “We can’t save the world by playing by the rules, because the rules have to be changed. Everything needs to change – and it has to start today.” — Greta Thunberg
- “Humans are very adaptable: we can still fix this. But the opportunity to do so will not last for long. We must start today. We have no more excuses.” — Greta Thunberg
Famous Quotes By Greta Thunberg
- “I have promised myself that I’m going to do everything I can for as long as I can.” — Greta Thunberg
- “I’m not that special. I can’t convince everyone. I’m just going to do what I want to do and what will have most impact.” — Greta Thunberg
- “This ongoing irresponsible behavior will no doubt be remembered in history as one of the greatest failures of humankind.” — Greta Thunberg
- “This is not the time and place for dreams. This is the time to wake up. This is a moment in history where we need to be wide awake.” — Greta Thunberg
- “I’m telling you there is hope. I have seen it, but it does not come from the governments or corporations. It comes from the people.” — Greta Thunberg
- “Many people say that Sweden is just a small country, and it doesn’t matter what we do, but I have learned you are never too small to make a difference.” — Greta Thunberg
- “This is above all an emergency and not just any emergency. This is the biggest crisis humanity has ever faced. This is not something you can like on Facebook.” — Greta Thunberg
- “Humanity is now standing at a crossroads. We must now decide which path we want to take. How do we want the future living conditions for all living species to be like?” — Greta Thunberg
- “We all have a choice. We can create transformational action that will safeguard the living conditions for future generations.” — Greta Thunberg
- “You must not gamble your children’s future on the flip of a coin. Instead, you must unite behind the science.” — Greta Thunberg
Greta Thunberg Quotes On Environment
- “I don’t use any animal products, both because of ethical and environmental and climate reasons.” — Greta Thunberg
- “Since our leaders are behaving like children, we will have to take the responsibility they should have taken long ago.” — Greta Thunberg
- “My message is that if we do not care about the climate crisis and if we do not act now then almost no other question is going to matter in the future.” — Greta Thunberg
- “We cannot solve a crisis without treating it as a crisis. And if solutions within the system are so impossible to find, then maybe we should change the system itself.” — Greta Thunberg
- “To all of you who choose to look the other way every day because you seem more frightened of the changes that can prevent catastrophic climate change than the catastrophic climate change itself. Your silence is almost worst of all.” — Greta Thunberg
- “Sometimes we just simply have to find a way. The moment we decide to fulfill something, we can do anything. And I’m sure the moment we start behaving as if we were in an emergency, we can avoid climate and ecological catastrophe.” — Greta Thunberg
- “We children are doing this to wake the adults up. We children are doing this for you to put your differences aside and start acting as you would in a crisis. We children are doing this because we want our hopes and dreams back.” — Greta Thunberg
- “For way too long, the politicians and the people in power have gotten away with not doing anything to fight the climate crisis, but we will make sure that they will not get away with it any longer. We are striking because we have done our homework and they have not.” — Greta Thunberg
- “Solving the climate crisis is the greatest and most complex challenge that Homo sapiens have ever faced. The main solution, however, is so simple that even a small child can understand it. We have to stop our emissions of greenhouse gases. And either we do that or we don’t.” — Greta Thunberg
- “We have not come here to beg world leaders to care. You have ignored us in the past and you will ignore us again. You’ve run out of excuses and we’re running out of time. We’ve come here to let you know that change is coming whether you like it or not. The real power belongs to the people.” — Greta Thunberg
Greta Thunberg Quotes On Climate Change
- “I think it is insane that people are gathered here to talk about the climate and they arrive here in private jets.” — Greta Thunberg
- “Richer countries need to get down to zero emissions much faster and then help poorer countries do the same.” — Greta Thunberg
- “The climate crisis has already been solved. We already have all the facts and solutions. All we have to do is to wake up and change.” — Greta Thunberg
- “If you still say that we are wasting valuable lesson time, then let me remind you that our political leaders have wasted decades through denial and inaction.” — Greta Thunberg
- “We are the ones making a difference – we the people in Extinction Rebellion and the children’s School Strike for the Climate – we are the ones making a difference.” — Greta Thunberg
- “Of course, there are climate delayers who want to do everything to shift the focus of the climate crisis to something else or want to make people question the science.” — Greta Thunberg
- “Many of you appear concerned that we are wasting valuable lesson time, but I assure you we will go back to school the moment you start listening to science and give us a future.” — Greta Thunberg
- “I don’t want you to be hopeful. I want you to panic. I want you to feel the fear I feel everyday. I want you to act. I want you to act like you would in a crisis. I want you to act like your house is on fire, because it is.” — Greta Thunberg
- “Why should I be studying for a future that soon may be no more, when no one is doing anything to save that future? And what is the point of learning facts when the most important facts clearly mean nothing to our society?” — Greta Thunberg
- “At first when I heard about climate change, I was a climate denier. I didn’t think it was happening. Because if there really was an existential crisis like that, that would threaten our civilization, we wouldn’t be focusing on anything else.” — Greta Thunberg
More About Greta Thunberg
Greta Thunberg, is a youth environmental activist known for challenging political leaders to take immediate action for climate change mitigation.
Her activism began from an early age when she persuaded her parents to adopt lifestyle choices that reduced her family’s carbon footprint.
She is well known for her impactful and stirring speeches on various global platforms, her straightforward talks with world leaders, and her role in contributing to climate change.
Also Check: Global Warming Quotes
Greta Thunberg became the youngest Time Person of the Year and her name was included in Time’s 100 most influential people.
She has even authored four books including No One Is Too Small to Make a Difference, The Climate Book: The Facts and the Solutions, Our House is on Fire: Scenes of a Family and a Planet in Crisis, and Green Ideas Slipcase.
Greta has inspired millions of people including countless activists, politicians, educators, and ordinary people through her words of wisdom, protests, and social media interactions.
What are your favorite Greta Thunberg quotes and Greta Thunberg speeches listed above? If there is a quote that we’ve missed then let us know in the comments section what your thoughts are.
So, feel free to share with friends and family on Facebook, Tumblr, Twitter, Instagram, WhatsApp, and more to spread positive vibes.