80 Homesick Quotes, Sayings, Images to Deal with Homesickness
Missing your home and feeling homesick? We have rounded up some of the best homesick quotes, sayings, status (with images and pictures) to express your feelings and make you feel better with these comforting and relatable words.
You may be far away from home for college, studies, a business tour, travel trips but at the end of the day your heart is still stuck back in your own home because that is the only place that gives you a sense of belonging. Your thoughts are always filled with the chattering of your family and the memories of your childhood.
Related: Missing Home Badly Quotes
Meaning of Homesick?
Homesickness is the distress caused by being away from home. Its cognitive hallmark is preoccupying thoughts of home and attachment objects. Sufferers typically report a combination of depressive and anxious symptoms, withdrawn behavior and difficulty focusing on topics unrelated to home. (Definition as per Wikipedia)
If you are homesick, you feel unhappy because you are away from home and are missing your family, friends, and home very much. (Collins Dictionary)
Hiraeth (pronounced [hiraɪ̯θ]) is a Welsh concept of longing for home. ‘Hiraeth’ is a word that cannot be completely translated, meaning more than solely “missing something” or “missing home.” It implies the meaning of missing time, an era, or a person – including homesickness for what may not exist any longer.
If you feel unhappy because you are away from home and are missing your family, friends, and home very much then browse these comforting homesick quotes and status messages to help with homesickness and make you feel better.
If you like these quotes do check out our collection of best small town quotes and hometown quotes to recollect your old memories
Famous Homesickness Quotes and Sayings
- “There is no place like home.”
- “Sometimes you just want to go home.”
- “I get really homesick inside.” – Arnel Pineda
- “I’ve been homesick for you ever since, I met you.”
- “I suppose everybody must be always just a little homesick.”
- “I am so homesick every day of the week.” – Tanya Saracho
- “Home is a name, a word, it is a strong one.” – Charles Dickens
- “There are days that all I can think is, I want to go home.”
- “Sometimes I get homesick even when I’m home.”
- “There is no shame in being homesick. It means you came from a happy home.”
- “Do not make homes out of people. This will leave you homesick and sad.” – K.Michelle
- “Christmas is a time when you get homesick even when you’re home.” — Carol Nelson
- “Home is not where you live but where they understand you.” – Christian Morgenstern
- “and then she knew…You can become homesick for people too.”
- “I’m homesickness for arms that don’t want to hold me.”
- “We don’t call it homesick. We call it missing home. There’s not a sickness involved, its a state of mind.” – John Litten
- “I’m homesick all the time. I miss my animals. I miss my family. I miss my friends.” – Brittany Howard
- “We are homesick most for the places we have never known.” – Carson McCullers
- “I suppose everybody must be always just a little homesick.” – Joseph Conrad
- “I have been wandering for long. I have been drifting for long. Missing home!”
- “One should go to sleep as homesick passengers do, saying ” Perhaps in the morning we shall see the shore.”
- “Lord, won’t you give me the strength to make it through somehow. I’ve never been more homesick than now.”
- “I am homesick for a place I am not sure ever exists. One where my heart is full. And my soul is understood.”
- “Homesickness is a sickness of the heart, not of the mind. It is deeply subjective and belongs, inarguably, to the sufferer alone.” ― Kate Mulgrew
- “You can never go home again, but the truth is you can never leave home, so it’s all right.” – Maya Angelou
- “Homesickness is nothing. Fifty percent of the people in the world are homesick all the time.” – John Cheever
- “Maybe you had to leave in order to really miss a place; maybe you had to travel to figure out how beloved your starting point was.” – Jodi Picoult
- “Home is a place you grow up wanting to leave, and grow old wanting to get back to.” – John Ed Pearce
- “When people hear good music, it makes them homesick for something they never had, and never will have.” – E.W.Howe
- “When you feel homesick,’ he said, ‘just lookup. Because the moon is the same wherever you go.” – Donna Tartt
- “I get homesick a lot. That can make me so emotional that I sometimes feel like crying- but never in front of anyone. No way!” – Nick Carter
- “Heart thoughts are profound, hindsight aches and hope is obscure. I’m craving a great adventure — one that leads me back home.” ― Donna Lynn Hope
- “How phenomenal we, humans, are – the further we are from our beloved home, the stronger our connection becomes.” ― Tamuna Tsertsvadze, Galaxy Pirates
- “When people hear good music, it makes them homesick for something they never had, and never will have.” – E. W. Howe
- “I always wanted to travel, but now that I am, all I want is to go home” ― Rehan Khan
- “Our native soil draws all of us, by I know not what sweetness, and never allows us to forget.”
- “Our longing is our pledge, and blessed are the homesick, for they shall come home.”
- “Perhaps the ache of homesickness was a fair price to pay for having so many good people in her life.” ― Becky Chambers
- “I get homesick – I could be in the sunniest place, but I need to see normality, and normal, for me, is London.” – Stefflon Don
- “We are torn between nostalgia for the familiar and an urge for the foreign and strange. As often as not, we are homesick most for the places we have never known.” – Carson McCullers
- “My father says you remember the smell of your country no matter where you are but only recognize it when you’re far away.” ― Aglaja Veteranyi
- “I never wanted to go away, and the hard part now is leaving you all. I’m not afraid, but it seems as if I should be homesick for you even in heaven.”- Louisa May Alcott
- “Touring can be really tiring. I can get homesick, and I spend a lot of time on my phone.” – Paolo Nutini
- “No, she felt homesick, not for a place, but for a time. Maybe it wasn’t homesickness at all. Maybe it was time sickness. She just missed those days when she was younger – seven, six, five, four years old – when she didn’t know so much about the world. She missed, most of all, her mother.” ― Matt Haig, The Girl Who Saved Christmas
- “That still feels like the most accurate description – I felt homesick, but I was home.” – Sarah Silverman
- “All my stories take place on the West Coast – not the beach, but smaller inland towns. I feel homesick, and I find inspiration in capturing that.” – Adrian Tomine
- “Most of the people are homesick anyway, and a little lonely, and they hide themselves in their hair and are turned into flowers.” – Tove Jansson
- “I had spent my whole life feeling homesick. The only difference between the two of us was that I didn’t know what or where home was.”
- “Homesickness is . . . absolutely nothing. Fifty percent of the people in the world are homesick all the time. . . . You don’t really long for another country. You long for something in yourself that you don’t have, or haven’t been able to find.” – John Cheever
- “We are homesick for places, we are reminded of places, it is the sounds and smells and sights of places which haunt us and against which we often measure our present.” – Alan Gussow
- “There is no sickness of spirit like homesickness When what you are sick for has never been seen or heard In this world, or even remembered except as a smear of bleached light Opening, closing beyond any alphabet’s Recall.” —Charles Wright
- “The worst feeling in the world is the homesickness that comes over a man occasionally when he is at home.” – E. W. Howe
- “Paris is one of the most beautiful places in all the world. Unfortunately, I was so homesick I couldn’t appreciate its beauty.” – Tyra Banks
- “She used to suffer these intense bouts of homesickness in her own bedroom. When she was very small, she would wake up tearing at her bedspread and shrieking, ‘I wanna go home! I wanna go home!’ Which was distressing to all of us, of course, because she was home.”— Karen Russell
- “At the time the world was all upside down. The American people were beginning to move around a lot. The old hometown ties had been pretty much broken. The theme of Farmer Takes a Wife appealed to people. Everybody was homesick. And it sold and sold and sold.” – John Gould
- “Nobody has seen the trekking birds take their way towards such warmer spheres as do not exist, or rivers break their course through rocks and plains to run into an ocean which is not to be found. For God does not create a longing or a hope without having a fulfilling reality ready for them. But our longing is our pledge, and blessed are the homesick, for they shall come home.” – Isak Dinesen
- “A poem begins as a lump in the throat, a sense of wrong, a homesickness, a lovesickness.” – Robert Frost
- “After you leave home, you may find yourself feeling homesick, even if you have a new home that has nicer wallpaper and a more efficient dishwasher than the home in which you grew up.” –Lemony Snicket
Bitter-Sweet Homesick Quotes, Pictures and Images
Funny Being Homesick Pics, GIF’s, Memes
The sweetest of memories bring the saddest of smiles. Especially for those far away from their home and loved ones. But sometimes, some humor and jokes can uplift your mood and help you swallow the difficult taste of a life away from family, friends, and lovers.
What are the Symptoms of Being Homesick
“You feel uncomfortable, nervous, anxious, stressed, tense because you’re in a place or situation that’s not familiar, that triggers your fight-or-flight response”, says Joshua Klapow
- Mood swings, and crying.
- Continuously thinking about home and missing things in your hometown.
- Social withdrawal, feeling isolated, lonely or withdrawn
- a disturbed sleeping pattern
- feeling nervous, sad, depressed, angry, nauseous
- feelings of low self-esteem or self-worth
- a lack of appetite or concentration.
- Constantly thinking about home.
- lack of energy and motivation to do things.
- feeling overwhelmed, insecure, anxious or panicky
- Wishing for a connection with someone who will make everything feel better
Tips to Deal with Homesickness at College
Saying goodbye after you visit your hometown can be terrible. There are times when you miss your mom the most. So here are some quick tips that can make you feel better and lift your mood while you adjust to your new life away from home;
- Realize being homesick is a normal feeling.
- Focus on the new phase of your life and make new friends.
- Give time to yourself to adjust to the new environment you are in.
- Discuss and talk about your feelings to your friends and family.
- Try and divert your mind by indulging in new activities like exercise, deep breathing, music, reading and more.
- Post pictures and things from home in your room.
So don’t let homesickness overwhelm you! Try and catch up with new people, lifestyle and things around you. If you like these homesickness quotes, sayings then share them on your status message, Facebook, Instagram, Whatsapp posts and don’t bottle up your feelings.
Missing Your Mother, Hometown?
Check these posts;