Discover the timeless wisdom of Hippocrates, often hailed as the “Father of Medicine.” Born in ancient Greece, Hippocrates laid the foundation for modern medicine, emphasizing observation, ethics, and a holistic approach to health and wellness. In this collection, explore powerful Hippocrates quotes that offer valuable insights into health, the human body, and the art of healing.
His profound insights into health, life, and the practice of medicine continue to inspire and guide people around the world today.
He is also credited with coining the Hippocratic Oath, a solemn pledge that physicians and medical practitioners continue to take today.
At a time when a lot of things were considered taboo, Hippocrates separated religion from medical study and educated people on things like healthy daily habits, diets, and lifestyles.
Hippocrates was not just a physician; he was a trailblazer who laid the cornerstone of modern medicine, a pioneer whose legacy continues to inspire generations of doctors and caregivers.
Whether you’re a healthcare professional seeking inspiration or someone interested in ancient wisdom, the words of the great Greek physician resonate with deep understanding and compassion for human health and well-being.
Top 10 Hippocrates Quotes
- “Walking is man’s best medicine.” — Hippocrates
- “Cure sometimes, treat often, comfort always.” — Hippocrates
- “Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food.” — Hippocrates
- “Natural forces within us are the true healers of disease.” — Hippocrates
- “The physician treats, but nature heals.” — Hippocrates
- “Make a habit of two things: to help; or at least to do no harm.” — Hippocrates
- “Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance.” — Hippocrates
- “Wherever the art of medicine is loved, there is also a love of humanity.” — Hippocrates
- “Healing is a matter of time, but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity.” — Hippocrates
- “It is more important to know what sort of person has a disease than to know what sort of disease a person has.” — Hippocrates
Best Quotes From Hippocrates
- “Rest as soon as there is pain.” — Hippocrates
- “Everything in excess is opposed to nature.” — Hippocrates
- “If you are not your own doctor, you are a fool.” — Hippocrates
- “Just as food causes chronic disease, it can be the most powerful cure.” — Hippocrates
- “Foolish the doctor who despises the knowledge acquired by the ancients.” — Hippocrates
- “The natural healing force within each one of us is the greatest force in getting well.” — Hippocrates
- “A physician without a knowledge of Astrology has no right to call himself a physician.” — Hippocrates
- “It’s far more important to know what person the disease has than what disease the person has.” — Hippocrates
- “We must turn to nature itself, to the observations of the body in health and in disease to learn the truth.” — Hippocrates
- “Each of the substances of a man’s diet acts upon his body and changes it in some way and upon these changes his whole life depends.” — Hippocrates
Hippocrates Quotes On Health
- “All disease starts in the gut.” — Hippocrates
- “Sport is a preserver of health.” — Hippocrates
- “The greatest medicine of all is teaching people how not to need it.” — Hippocrates
- “Our food should be our medicine and our medicine should be our food.” — Hippocrates
- “A wise man ought to realise that health is his most valuable possession.” — Hippocrates
- “Leave your drugs in the chemist’s pot if you can heal the patient with food.” — Hippocrates
- “The way to health is to have an aromatic bath and a scented massage every day.” — Hippocrates
- “There are in fact two things, science and opinion; the former begets knowledge, the latter ignorance.” — Hippocrates
- “A wise man should consider that health is the greatest of human blessings, and learn how by his own thought to derive benefit from his illnesses.” — Hippocrates
- “If someone wishes for good health, one must first ask oneself if he is ready to do away with the reasons for his illness. Only then is it possible to help him.” — Hippocrates
- “If we could give every individual the right amount of nourishment and exercise, not too little and not too much, we would have found the safest way to health.” — Hippocrates
Inspirational Hippocrates Quotes
- “Life is short, the art long.” — Hippocrates
- “The life so short, the craft so long to learn.” — Hippocrates
- “To do nothing is sometimes a good remedy.” — Hippocrates
- “To really know is science; to merely believe you know is ignorance.” — Hippocrates
- “Anyone wishing to study medicine must master the art of massage.” — Hippocrates
- “Before you heal someone, ask him if he’s willing to give up the things that made him sick.” — Hippocrates
- “Wine is an appropriate article for mankind, both for the healthy body and for the ailing man.” — Hippocrates
- “Keep a watch also on the faults of the patients, which often make them lie about the taking of things prescribed.” — Hippocrates
- “The chief virtue that language can have is clearness, and nothing detracts from it so much as the use of unfamiliar words.” — Hippocrates
- “Illnesses do not come upon us out of the blue. They are developed from small daily sins against Nature. When enough sins have accumulated, illnesses will suddenly appear.” — Hippocrates
More About Hippocrates
Hippocrates of Kos, also known as Hippocrates II, who was born in 460 BC, was a Greek physician of the classical period.
He has written about 70 books which are collectively known as the Hippocratic Corpus. Most of his body of work was written for physicians and pharmacists and some were written with a particular audience in mind.
Hippocrates lived in an era where most people attributed sickness and diseases to superstitions and the fury of the Gods. He educated people that all forms of illness had a natural cause either because of the human body, the environment, or other internal processes.
He was one of the first people to change the orthodox thought process of people about the practice of medicine by introducing a rational approach to healing based on ethical principles.
He was the first medical practitioner to categorize illness as chronic, acute, epidemic, and endemic. Hippocrates recommended diet and physical exercise as a cure for some ailments.
What are your favorite Hippocrates quotes and sayings listed above? If there is a quote that we’ve missed then let us know in the comments section what your thoughts are.
So, feel free to share with friends and family on Facebook, Tumblr, Twitter, Instagram, WhatsApp, and more to spread positive vibes.