George Bernard Shaw was a famous writer from Ireland. He wrote plays that talked about important topics and made people think. He is considered one of the most influential playwrights of the 20th century. Delve into the timeless wisdom of George Bernard Shaw quotes about life, love, and change that will give you a new perspective and outlook in life.
Also Check: Leo Tolstoy Quotes
Shaw came to the limelight with his masterpiece ‘Saint Joan’, followed by some of his famous works including ‘Pygmalion’, ‘Man and Superman’, ‘Ceasar and Cleopatra’, ‘Androcles and the Lion’, ‘Major Barbara’, and ‘The Doctor’s Dilemma’.
In 1925, he was awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature for his contributions to literature and drama.
Also Check: Roy T. Bennett Quotes
Until his death, at the age of 94, Shaw remained an influential figure and continued to advocate his ideas. His legacy continues as his works are still studied and performed.
Read these inspirational George Bernard Shaw Quotes that will inspire you to take life’s challenges head-on and come out as stronger human beings.
Top 10 George Bernard Shaw Quotes
- “Youth is wasted on the young.” — George Bernard Shaw
- “There is no sincerer love than the love of food.” — George Bernard Shaw
- “Life isn’t about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.” — George Bernard Shaw
- “We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” — George Bernard Shaw
- “The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.” — George Bernard Shaw
- “I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.” — George Bernard Shaw
- “Better keep yourself clean and bright; you are the window through which you must see the world.” — George Bernard Shaw
- “A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.” — George Bernard Shaw
- “Progress is impossible without change, and those who cannot change their minds cannot change anything.” — George Bernard Shaw
- “I want to be thoroughly used up when I die, for the harder I work the more I live. I rejoice in life for its own sake.” — George Bernard Shaw
Best Quotes By George Bernard Shaw
- “I know of only one duty, and that is to love.” — George Bernard Shaw
- “Imagination is the beginning of creation.” ― George Bernard Shaw
- “Animals are my friends… and I don’t eat my friends.” — George Bernard Shaw
- “Those who cannot change their minds cannot change anything.” — George Bernard Shaw
- “Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.” ― Bernard Shaw
- “There are no secrets better kept than the secrets everybody guesses.” — George Bernard Shaw
- “My way of joking is to tell the truth. It’s the funniest joke in the world.” — George Bernard Shaw
- “As long as I have a want, I have a reason for living. Satisfaction is death.” — George Bernard Shaw
- “The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people.” ― George Bernard Shaw
- “You use a glass mirror to see your face; you use works of art to see your soul.” — George Bernard Shaw
- “Old men are dangerous: it doesn’t matter to them what is going to happen to the world.” — George Bernard Shaw
- “He knows nothing; and he thinks he knows everything. That points clearly to a political career.” — George Bernard Shaw
- “The liar’s punishment is, not in the least that he is not believed, but that he cannot believe anyone else.” — George Bernard Shaw
- “Do not do unto others as you would that they should do unto you. Their tastes may not be the same.” — George Bernard Shaw
- “The unconscious self is the real genius. Your breathing goes wrong the moment your conscious self meddles with it.” — George Bernard Shaw
- “Perhaps the greatest social service that can be rendered by anybody to the country and to mankind is to bring up a family.” — George Bernard Shaw
Famous George Bernard Shaw Quotes
- “A fashion is nothing, but an induced epidemic.” — George Bernard Shaw
- “Take care to get what you like or you will be forced to like what you get.” — George Bernard Shaw
- “We learn from experience that men never learn anything from experience.” — George Bernard Shaw
- “England and America are two countries separated by a common language.” — George Bernard Shaw
- “No question is so difficult to answer as that to which the answer is obvious.” — George Bernard Shaw
- “Life is not meant to be easy, my child; but take courage – it can be delightful.” — George Bernard Shaw
- “A lifetime of happiness! No man alive could bear it; it would be hell on earth.” — George Bernard Shaw
- “Criminals do not die by the hands of the law. They die by the hands of other men.” — George Bernard Shaw
- “Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.” — George Bernard Shaw
- “Americans adore me and will go on adoring me until I say something nice about them.” — George Bernard Shaw
- “Yesterday is the past, tomorrow is the future, today is a gift – that’s why it’s called the present.” — George Bernard Shaw
- “[The] power of accurate observation…is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.” — George Bernard Shaw
- “Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh.” — George Bernard Shaw
- “A fool’s brain digests philosophy into folly, science into superstition, and art into pedantry. Hence University education.” — George Bernard Shaw
- “The first prison I ever saw had inscribed on it ‘cease to do evil: learn to do well’; but as the inscription was on the outside, the prisoners could not read it.” — George Bernard Shaw
George Bernard Shaw Quotes
- “A happy family is but an earlier heaven.” — George Bernard Shaw
- “Liberty means responsibility. That is why most men dread it.” — George Bernard Shaw
- “Everything happens to everybody sooner or later if there is time enough.” — George Bernard Shaw
- “People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.” — George Bernard Shaw
- “The things most people want to know about are usually none of their business.” — George Bernard Shaw
- “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they’ll kill you.” — George Bernard Shaw
- “There are two tragedies in life. One is to lose your heart’s desire. The other is to gain it.” — George Bernard Shaw
- “Men are wise in proportion, not to their experience, but to their capacity for experience.” — George Bernard Shaw
- “A cigarette is a pinch of tobacco rolled in paper with fire at one end and a fool at the other.” — George Bernard Shaw
- “You see things; and you say ‘Why?’ But I dream things that never were; and I say ‘Why not?’.” — George Bernard Shaw
- “Success does not consist in never making mistakes but in never making the same one a second time.” — George Bernard Shaw
- “An American has no sense of privacy. He does not know what it means. There is no such thing in the country.” — George Bernard Shaw
- “Few people think more than two or three times a year; I have made an international reputation for myself by thinking once or twice a week.” — George Bernard Shaw
- “Two percent of the people think. Three percent of the people think they think. And ninety-five percent of the people would rather die than think. ” — George Bernard Shaw
- “A day’s work is a day’s work, neither more nor less, and the man who does it needs a day’s sustenance, a night’s repose and due leisure, whether he be painter or ploughman.” — George Bernard Shaw
More About George Bernard Shaw’s Life
George Bernard Shaw was an Irish dramatist, literary critic, essayist, and political activist Shaw decided to become a writer by 1876. He struggled financially to the extent that his mother had to help him while he worked on his first novels in the British Museum reading room.
Born: 26 July 1856, Portobello, Dublin, Ireland
Died: 2 November 1950, Ayot Saint Lawrence, UK
Initially, his writings and manuscripts were widely rejected by publishers and became huge failures. He then started to write book reviews of art, music, and theatre.
After some time he was hired as a theatre critic on the Sunday Review in 1895. This was the time when he uncovered his true calling in creative writing – writing plays.
Shaw had a very unique style of writing. He used writing as a platform to express his political, social, and religious ideas. His radical rationalism, intelligence, and wit were infused in most of his works.
If you think you can relate to these deep Bernard Shaw quotes feel free to spread your feelings and share them with friends and family on Pinterest, Facebook, Tumblr, Instagram, Twitter, and more.
If we have missed some quotes, share them with us in the comment section below and we shall be happy to add them to the list.