Are you a Wayne Gretzky fan? We have rounded up the best collection of Wayne Gretzky quotes, sayings, captions, posters, and status, (with images and pictures) to encourage aspiring ice hockey players and inspire them to achieve greatness with hard work, dedication, and passion.
Wayne Douglas Gretzky is one of the most popular Canadian former professional ice hockey player and former head coach. He played 20 seasons in the NHL for four teams from 1979 to 1999 for the Edmonton Oilers, Los Angeles Kings, St. Louis Blues and the New York Rangers.
Also See: Teamwork Quotes
Gretzky held a total of 61 NHL (National Hockey Legue) records, 40 for the regular season, 15 Stanley playoffs records, and 6 All-Star records. His hard work and talent earned him the nickname “The Great One“.
Being a leading scorer in the NHL history Wayne is considered as one of the greatest hockey player ever in the history of ice hockey by many sportswriters and players.
In his early career, Gretzky was not given much credit due to his unimpessive size and strength but he changed everything around with his impressive skills, inteligence, and stamina.
Also See: Determination Quotes
Gretzy has also authored several books, some of them include stories of the game, Gretzy, and playing with fire, and 99: Stories of the Game. He was the idol to many players and athletes and inspired them to do better in life. He never failed to enthrall hockey fans with his incredible talent and skill.
These motivational quotes by the iconic player are divided into these sections;
- Inspiring Wayne Gretzky Quotes
- Best Wayne Gretzky Quotes
- Famous Wayne Gretzky Quotes On Success
Michael Scott quoted Wayne Gretzy by saying “you miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.” The quotes inspires people to take chances in life to achieve your dreams.
Here is a list of famous Wayne Gretzky quotes and sayings for all the ice hockey fans to get inspired by the one who has inspired many.
Inspiring Wayne Gretzky Quotes
- “It’s easier to lose than to win.” ― Wayne Gretzky
- “I miss all the shots I don’t take.” ― Wayne Gretzky
- “I love everything about hockey.” ― Wayne Gretzky
- “Growing up, I was always the small guy.” ― Wayne Gretzky
- “Everything I did in hockey, I worked for.” ― Wayne Gretzky
- “Hockey is my life. I love every minute of it.” ― Wayne Gretzky
- “You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.” ― Wayne Gretzky – Michael Scott” – The Campus Activities Board.
- “When you win, say nothing, when you lose say less.” ― Wayne Gretzky
- “Not doing it is certainly the best way to not getting it.” ― Wayne Gretzky
- “Most people marry their mother. I married my father.” ― Wayne Gretzky
- “Before you can win, you have to believe you are worthy.” ― Wayne Gretzky
- “My answer is, why not? It’s what I love, it’s what I know.” ― Wayne Gretzky
- “I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been.” ― Wayne Gretzky
- “I don’t think any one person will ever be bigger than the game.” ― Wayne Gretzky
- “It’s an honor and a thrill and a privilege just to play in the NHL.” ― Wayne Gretzky
- “Ninety percent of hockey is mental and the other half is physical.” ― Wayne Gretzky
- “In one sense we are a favorite because we won a gold medal in 2002.” ― Wayne Gretzky
- “Maybe it wasn’t the talent the Lord gave me – maybe it was the passion.” ― Wayne Gretzky
- “I can remember hockey. It was my life, my passion. It’s what I love the most.” ― Wayne Gretzky
- “I’m not a big risk-taker. I stay away from things I don’t know anything about.” ― Wayne Gretzky
Best Wayne Gretzky Quotes
Wayne Gretzky has been more than a popular ice hockey player. He has motivated many by his wisdom. Wayne taught people that with determination and dedication you can achieve your goals.
Also See: Top Herb Brooks Quotes
He has always mentioned that procrastination is one thing that stands between you and success. Here is a list of motivational Wayne Gretzky quotes by the legend himself to inspire and motivate you.
- “…But I don’t think you should force your kid to become a professional athlete.” ― Wayne Gretzky
- “If you surround yourself with quality people and great friends, the sky’s the limit.” ― Wayne Gretzky
- “The only way a kid is going to practice is if it’s total fun for him… and it was for me.” ― Wayne Gretzky
- “Skating alone is an art. Doing it on a substance? I don’t know. That’s got to be tough.” ― Wayne Gretzky
- “You’ll never catch me bragging about goals, but I’ll talk all you want about my assists.” ― Wayne Gretzky
- “When you’re playing an exhibition, you’re kind of letting everyone get an opportunity.” ― Wayne Gretzky
- “My kids are no different than anyone else’s – they tend to disagree with everything I say!” ― Wayne Gretzky
- “Eight days ago, we were the toast of the town. Eight days later we’re Thanksgiving turkeys.” ― Wayne Gretzky
- “Hullie’s a lot like a garbage can. You step on the pedal with your foot and the top opens up.” ― Wayne Gretzky
- “Sometimes people ask, ‘Are hockey fights real?’ I say, ‘If they weren’t, I’d get in more of them.” ― Wayne Gretzky
- “And people who know me would tell you that away from hockey I’m really not that competitive.” ― Wayne Gretzky
- “The day I stop giving is the day I stop receiving. The day I stop learning is the day I stop growing.” ― Wayne Gretzky
- “If I had to pick three players to start a franchise, I’d choose Hasek, Peter Forsberg and Eric Lindros.” ― Wayne Gretzky
- “The highest compliment that you can pay me is to say that I work hard every day, that I never dog it.” ― Wayne Gretzky
- “A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be.” ― Wayne Gretzky
- “It’s kind of ironic – when I broke in at 17, I was told I was too small, too slow and I wouldn’t make the NHL.” ― Wayne Gretzky
- “He brings something special. I don’t know what it is, but if you ask him, you couldn’t understand his answer.” ― Wayne Gretzky
- “I get a feeling about where a teammate is going to be. A lot of times, I can turn and pass without even looking.” ― Wayne Gretzky
- “Only one thing is ever guaranteed, that is that you will definitely not achieve the goal if you don’t take the shot.” ― Wayne Gretzky
- “I’m very proud of our NHL players. I think they all handle themselves extremely well and they all work really hard.” ― Wayne Gretzky
- “Canadiens’ Carey Price, who might be the best in the world right now.” ― Wayne Gretzky, 99: Stories of the Game” ― Wayne Gretzky
- “Procrastination is one of the most common and deadliest of diseases and its toll on success and happiness is heavy.” ― Wayne Gretzky
- “You know, I’ve held women and babies and jewels and money, but nothing will ever feel as good as holding that Cup.” ― Wayne Gretzky
- “I think the greatest thing about playing obviously is winning, and you can’t replace that experience with anything.” ― Wayne Gretzky
- “People in general want to build somebody up and then try to knock them down. They always root for the underdog.” ― Wayne Gretzky
- “No matter who you are, we’re creatures of habit. The better your habits are, the better they will be in pressure situations.” ― Wayne Gretzky
- “It’s just amazing how many companies suddenly want you to hold up their products after you’ve held up the Stanley Cup.” ― Wayne Gretzky
- “I wasn’t naturally gifted in terms of size and speed; everything I did in hockey I worked for, and that’s the way I’ll be as a coach.” ― Wayne Gretzky
- “When I was 5 and playing against 11-year-olds, who were bigger, stronger, faster, I just had to figure out a way to play with them.” ― Wayne Gretzky
- “I’m probably the only guy in hockey who can win a scoring title and everybody is saying I had a bad year. I don’t worry about it.” ― Wayne Gretzky
Famous Wayne Gretzky Quotes On Success
From reading the game of his opponent to anticipating their moves Gretzky was popularly known for dodging checks from opposing players, and was adept in anticipating where the puck was going to be. He was very creative in executing his moves to shoot and score. He was well known for setting up behind his opponent’s net, an area that was nicknamed “Gretzky’s office”.
- “I grew up such a fan. It was my life. Everything I did was hockey related and everything I have is because of hockey and the NHL.” ― Wayne Gretzky
- “I can’t remember the last time I went to a game and there was a fight. I think they fight more in baseball now than they do in hockey.” ― Wayne Gretzky
- “It really doesn’t matter or concern me what people are saying or who thinks who is the favorite. The bottom line is you have to play.” ― Wayne Gretzky
- “I think sports for kids is the greatest thing in the world because it teaches you how to share, about winning and losing and pressure.” ― Wayne Gretzky
- “Competitive spirit is still at a premium. The more you win, the better you play, the more money you make, so they all have that in mind.” ― Wayne Gretzky
- “Hockey is a unique sport in the sense that you need each and every guy helping each other and pulling in the same direction to be successful.” ― Wayne Gretzky
- “The day I stop giving is the day I stop receiving. The day I stop learning is the day I stop growing. You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.” ― Wayne Gretzky
- “When emotions are high, things are said, things are done. Ultimately, these players want to play. I know too many of them love the game too much.” ― Wayne Gretzky
- “I couldn’t beat people with my strength; I don’t have a hard shot; I’m not the quickest skater in the league. My eyes and my mind have to do most of the work.” ― Wayne Gretzky
- “By no means could I play at the level of these kids who play in the NHL now but as 50-year-olds go, I feel really good and I feel blessed that I’m still healthy.” ― Wayne Gretzky
- “There’s no perfect coach in the world. Coaches are human, too. Mistakes are made. But, fundamentally, if you’re sound, you eliminate as many mistakes as possible.” ― Wayne Gretzky
- “I just like to keep my money in the bank; I’m not a big risk-taker. I don’t know anything about the stock market. I stay away from things I don’t know anything about.” ― Wayne Gretzky
- “Listen, everything I have in my life is because of the NHL and because of hockey, and I love the game and I loved every minute of being a player, I loved coaching, I loved being involved in the NHL.” ― Wayne Gretzky
- “I knew at a young age, whether I was playing baseball or hockey or lacrosse, that my teammates were counting on me, whether it be to strike the last batter out in a baseball game or score a big goal in a hockey game.” ― Wayne Gretzky
- “I think that from the time you start playing sports as a child you see that your responsibility to your team is to play the best that you can play as an individual… and yet, not take anything away from being part of a team.” ― Wayne Gretzky
- “When I broke into professional hockey at 17 I was told that I was too small and too slow and I wouldn’t make the NHL. Now it’s kind of flip-flopped and the sense is I can’t be a good coach because I was a great athlete.” ― Wayne Gretzky
- “I played everything. I played lacrosse, baseball, hockey, soccer, track and field. I was a big believer that you played hockey in the winter and when the season was over you hung up your skates and you played something else.” ― Wayne Gretzky
- “Thankfully, in my youth I had the best financial advisor a son could ask for: my dad Walter. When I got that first signing bonus in 1978, Dad took my cheque, announced, ‘This is what we’re going to do,’ and bought an annuity with it.” ― Wayne Gretzky
- “I don’t like my hockey sticks touching other sticks, and I don’t like them crossing one another, and I kind of have them hidden in the corner. I put baby powder on the ends. I think it’s essentially a matter of taking care of what takes care of you.” ― Wayne Gretzky
- “People talk about skating, puck handling and shooting, but the whole sport is angles and caroms, forgetting the straight direction the puck is going, calculating where it will be directed, factoring in all the interruptions. Basically, my whole game is angles.” ― Wayne Gretzky
- “I have absolutely no complaints about my life. But people think I got handed everything, all this kind of fell in my lap, that I was just God-gifted with all this talent. I wanted people to realize it’s a lot tougher than just waking up one day and you’re in the NHL.” ― Wayne Gretzky
- “Look at guys like Larry Bird and George Brett and John McEnroe; that’s what they did in their careers. They all wanted to be the guy under the microscope late in the game or late in the match. So you just take on that know-how that that’s part of your responsibility, and you learn that’s what makes it exciting. That’s what makes it fun!” ― Wayne Gretzky
- “I get a lot of parents coming up to me, telling me they are grooming their kids to be professional athletes. I’m really against that. I think it’s a great life, and yeah, you can lead them in that direction. I think a lot of parents live their lives through the kids. Because they didn’t make it, they want their kids to make it. It puts a lot of undue pressure on the kids.” ― Wayne Gretzky
- “I’m not sure Mario is going to get accolades he deserves, especially from outside the game. But from within, the players, the people who follow closely, realize exactly what he’s brought to the table, exactly what he has done. People tend to forget… hockey was dying in Pittsburgh before he got there. I played there. It was almost dead. I’m sorry, but the NHL would not have a franchise in Pittsburgh today had Mario not come along. Think about it, no hockey in Pittsburgh.” ― Wayne Gretzky
- “But in my mind, I don’t think there’s any question Sidney Crosby is the best all-around player in the game. His hockey sense is so strong and so solid, combined with his God-gifted talent of being able to see the ice, see the entire picture in front of him. And, most importantly, I don’t care how good you are, if you don’t have a work ethic, it doesn’t matter. There’s no question that each and every game, he’s one of the hardest-working guys on the ice. In my mind, he’s the best player in the game today.” ― Wayne Gretzky
If you are motivated with these wise words of wisdom, feel free to spread the positive vibes and share it with friends and family on Pinterest, Facebook, Tumblr, Instagram, Twitter, and more.
Which is your favorite quote from the above list? If we have missed some quotes, share it with us in the comment section below and we shall be happy to add it to the list.