60 Tradition Quotes On Culture, Family & Society
I’ve collected the best collection of tradition quotes, sayings, and proverbs (with images and pictures) about preserving history, culture, heritage, and customs to inspire you.
Traditions are ideas and beliefs passed down from one generation to the next. They’re not rules, but rather guidelines. Each family within a culture can have its own unique traditions while sharing other common ones.
It refers to the beliefs, customs, and practices that have been passed down from generation to generation within a particular cultural, religious, or social group.
Also See: History Quotes
They’re not rules, but rather guidelines. It is often viewed as a source of stability and continuity, preserving the values and beliefs that give a group its unique identity.
Each family within a culture can have its own unique traditions while sharing other common ones.
In this context, tradition can be seen as both a bond that connects people to their heritage and a foundation for future generations to build upon.
These insightful traditional quotes highlight the role of traditional values in preserving cultural heritage, shaping our values and beliefs, and connecting us to the past and future.
Top 10 Quotes About Traditions
- “Tradition is the illusion of permanence.” – Woody Allen
- “Most seasonings are based on family tradition.” – Wolfgang Puck
- “Either stick to tradition or see that your inventions be consistent.” – Horace
- “Traditions touch us, they connect us, and they expand us.” – Rita Barreto Craig
- “It takes an endless amount of history to make even a little tradition.” – Henry James
- “The less there is to justify a traditional custom, the harder it is to get rid of it.” – Mark Twain
- “A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril.” – Winston Churchill
- “Sometimes tradition and habit are just that, comfortable excuses to leave things be, even when they are unjust and unworthy.” – Matthew Scully
- “What we need is search for fundamentals, not reiteration of traditions born in days when men knew even less than we do now.” – Thomas Edison
- “The purpose of all the major religious traditions is not to construct big temples on the outside, but to create temples of goodness and compassion inside, in our hearts.” – Dalai Lama
Best Tradition Quotes To Value Them
- “Tradition may be good or bad.” – Noah Webster
- “All tradition is merely the past.” – Jiddu Krishnamurti
- “Cultures grow on the vine of tradition.” – Jonah Goldberg
- “To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.” – Les Claypool
- “At the heart of every family tradition is a meaningful experience.” – Unknown
- “Tradition is a prison with majority opinion the modern jailer.” – Henry S. Haskins
- “Sometimes traditions turn into unwritten rules we don’t want to break.” – Jay Feeney
- “Tradition: one of those words conservative people use as a shortcut to thinking.” – Warren Ellis
- “Tradition becomes our security, and when the mind is secure it is in decay.” – Jiddu Krishnamurti
- “The bird that would soar above the level plain of tradition and prejudice must have strong wings.”- Kate Chopin
- “The modernity of yesterday is the tradition of today, and the modernity of today will be the tradition of tomorrow.” – Unknown
- “As tradition is a gift of the Spirit, its trajectory moves in the right direction, although it has not arrived at its destination.” – Brian D. Mclaren
- “Family traditions reveal what you value enough to repeat, and – if done with love – build warm, happy associations.” – Daniel Wilingham
- “It often happens that an old family, with traditions that are entirely practical, sober and bourgeois, undergoes in it’s declining days a kind of artistic transfiguration.” – Thomas Mann
- “Traditions are important, but there’s always that balance between traditions and newness and change. Change is hard, but this will be the start of new traditions and experiences.” – Jeff Wardle
Inspirational Tradition Quotes
- “Half of tradition is a lie.” – Stephen Crane
- “A tradition is kept alive only by something being added to it.” – Henry James
- “Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire.” – Gustav Mahler
- “As soon as tradition has come to be recognized as tradition, it is dead.” – Allan Bloom
- “Nothing can match her sheer elegance when she is in her traditional attire.” – Unknown
- “You must be in tune with the times and prepared to break with tradition.” – James Agee
- “The human soul can always use a new tradition. Sometimes we require them.” – Pat Conroy
- “I like narrative storytelling as being part of a tradition, a folk tradition.” – Bruce Springsteen
- “Change does not change tradition. It strengthens it. Change is a challenge and an opportunity. not a threat.” – Unknown
- “Tradition is a process of debate over what links past, present, and future in a continuity that is meaningful and authoritative.” – Zareena Grewal
- “The problem to be faced is: how to combine loyalty to one’s own tradition with reverence for different traditions.” – Abraham Joshua Heschel
- “Traditions are like cliches. They are everywhere. They may sometimes even be correct, but often they are justified by nothing except constant repetition.” – Unknown
- “When traditions become so hard and fast that their adherence actually frustrates the original point of their adoption, then it’s time to rethink their utility.” – Gary J. Schmitt
- “Marriage brings one into fatal connection with custom and tradition, and traditions and customs are like the wind and weather, altogether incalculable.” – Soren Kierkegaard
- “Tradition is the great misleader because it’s too easy to follow what has already been done – even though you may think you’re giving it a kick. I was really trying to invent, instead of merely expressing myself.” – Marcel Duchamp
Best Traditional Quotes To Inspire You
- “Tradition is a guide and not a jailer.” – W. Somerset Maugham
- “Break the trends, put on traditional.” – Unknown
- “Traditional values are big in my life.” – Jennifer Hudson
- “Style gain attention but tradition gain respect…” – Unknown
- “Tradition is a challenge to innovation.” – Alvaro Siza Vieira
- “In a world full of trends, I want to remain a classic.” – Unknown
- “The only alternative to tradition is bad tradition.” – Jaroslav Pelikan
- “One must have tradition in oneself, to hate it properly.” – Theodor W. Adorno
- “Tradition: how the vitality of the past enriches the life of the present.” – T. S. Eliot
- “The most joy of wearing clothes comes in wearing traditional clothes.” – Unknown
- “Traditionalists are pessimists about the future and optimists about the past.” – Unknown
- “I’m not a chef. But I’m passionate about food- the tradition of it, cooking it, and sharing it.” – Zac Posen
- “I belong to a tradition that believes that the death of a single child is a blemish on creation…” – Elie Wiesel
- “Our culture, our traditions, our language are the foundations upon which we build our identity.” – Unknown
- “Tradition usually rests upon something which men did know; history is often the manufacture of the mere liar.” – Jefferson Davis
- “Something about the cultural tradition of Jews is way, way more sympathetic to science and learning and intellectual pursuits than Islam.” – Richard Dawkins
- “Tradition, long conditioned thinking, can bring about a fixation, a concept that one readily accepts, perhaps not with a great deal of thought.” – Jiddu Krishnamurti
- “Traditions are the guideposts driven deep in our subconscious minds. The most powerful ones are those we can’t even describe aren’t even aware of.” – Ellen Goodman
- “Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who merely happen to be walking about.” – G. K. Chesterton
- “Every tradition grows ever more venerable — the more remote its origin, the more confused that origin is. The reverence due to it increases from generation to generation. The tradition finally becomes holy and inspires awe.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
Tradition VS Culture
Tradition and culture are often used interchangeably, but they have distinct differences.
Culture refers to the beliefs, values, customs, behaviors, and artifacts that characterize a group or society. It encompasses all aspects of a society’s way of life, including language, religion, social habits, and artistic expression.
Also See: Legacy Quotes
Tradition, on the other hand, refers specifically to practices, beliefs, or customs that have been passed down from one generation to the next. It is a subset of culture and represents a particular aspect of it that has been passed down and maintained over time.
In conclusion, tradition and culture are related, but tradition is a specific aspect of culture that refers to practices that have been passed down through generations. Culture, on the other hand, is a much broader concept that encompasses the entire way of life of a group or society.
Regardless of one’s perspective, these quotes offer insight into the cultural significance of tradition.
Which is your favorite quote about traditions? Write in the comments section below if we have missed some quotes on the list and we’ll be glad to add them to the list.
If you like these quotes please share them with friends and family on Facebook, Pinterest, Tumblr, WhatsApp, Instagram, and more.