I’ve collected the best collection of culture quotes, sayings, and proverbs (with images and pictures) about preserving history, traditions, heritage, customs, beliefs, and more to inspire you.
What Is Culture?
Culture refers to the shared beliefs, values, customs, behaviors, and artifacts that characterize a group or society.
It encompasses all aspects of social, spiritual, and material life, including language, religion, arts, literature, architecture, music, technology, cuisine, sports, and other forms of entertainment.
It influences the way we think, act, and interact with the world around us and it reflects the history, traditions, and values of a particular group of people.
There are countless quotes about the culture that captures its essence and importance, and these quotes can inspire us to reflect on our own cultural heritage and identity.
Many culture quotes focus on the idea that culture is a source of unity and shared identity, bringing people together and helping to build a sense of community.
For example, the quote “Culture makes people understand each other better. And if they understand each other better in their soul, it is easier to overcome the economic and political barriers.” by Hans Magnus Enzensberger, highlights the role of culture in promoting understanding and breaking down barriers between people.
Culture is also seen as a means of preserving and passing down the traditions and values of a particular group of people.
In addition to its role in shaping individual identity and promoting understanding, diversity in culture is also seen as a tool for social and political change.
These insightful culture quotes will foster greater understanding and tolerance, breaking down barriers and promoting unity and peace among people.
Top 10 Culture Quotes
- “The triumph of culture is to overpower nationality.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “Every man’s ability may be strengthened or increased by culture.” – John Abbot
- “Culture is not made up but something that evolves which is human.” – Edward T. Hall
- “A nation’s culture resides in the hearts and in the soul of its people.” – Mahatma Gandhi
- “The soul takes nothing with her to the next world but her education and her culture.” – Plato
- “Our culture is more shaped by the arts and humanities than it often is by politics.” – Jim Leach
- “That is true culture which helps us to work for the social betterment of all.” – Henry Ward Beecher
- “Human cultural diversity is vast; the range of cultural practices, beliefs, and languages that we speak is vast.” – Mark Pagel
- “This history of culture will explain to us the motives, the conditions of life, and the thought of the writer or reformer.” – Leo Tolstoy
- “Cultural differences should not separate us from each other, but rather cultural diversity brings a collective strength that can benefit all of humanity.” – Robert Alan
Insightful Culture Quotes About Society
In a globalized world, cultural diversity is celebrated and valued, and it provides a rich tapestry of cultural expression and heritage that enriches our world.
- “Culture makes all men gentle.” – Menander
- “Culture opens the sense of beauty.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “Culture is the arts elevated to a set of beliefs.” – Thomas Wolfe
- “No culture can live if it attempts to be exclusive.” – Mahatma Gandhi
- “Culture is the widening of the mind and of the spirit.” – Jawaharlal Nehru
- “Understanding languages and other cultures builds bridges.” – Suzy Kassem
- “Culture does not make people. People make culture.” – Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
- “Culture’s worth huge, huge risks. Without culture, we’re all totalitarian beasts.” – Norman Mailer
- “People without the knowledge of their past history, origin, and culture is like a tree without roots.” – Marcus Garvey
- “Every one of us is a perfect human being, deformed by the family, the society, and the culture.” – Alejandro Jodorowsky
- “It is time for parents to teach young people early on that in diversity there is beauty and there is strength.” – Maya Angelou
- “What a culture we live in, we are swimming in an ocean of information, and drowning in ignorance.” – Richard Paul Evans
- “Diversity is about all of us, and about us having to figure out how to walk through this world together.” – Jacqueline Woodson
- “If art is to nourish the roots of our culture, society must set the artist free to follow his vision wherever it takes him.” – John F. Kennedy
- “The crucial differences which distinguish human societies and human beings are not biological. They are cultural.” – Ruth Benedict
- “The role of culture is that it’s the form through which we as a society reflect on who we are, where we’ve been, where we hope to be.” – Wendell Pierce
- “Culture is the name for what people are interested in, their thoughts, their models, the books they read and the speeches they hear.” – Walter Lippman
- “Real cultural diversity results from the interchange of ideas, products, and influences, not from the insular development of a single national style.” – Tyler Cowen
- “We need to help students and parents cherish and preserve the ethnic and cultural diversity that nourishes and strengthens this community – and this nation.” – Cesar Chavez
- “Living through the intersections of cultural diversity has given me an intimate understanding of the dynamics of living between the dimensions of East and West, traditional and modern, and political and spiritual.” – Deeyah Khan
Best Cultural Quotes On Tradition
- “Cultures grow on the vine of tradition.” – Jonah Goldberg
- “Culture is the way you think, act, and interact.” – Unknown
- “Strength lies in differences, not in similarities.” – Stephen R. Covey
- “Everybody blames the culture without taking responsibility.” – James Levine
- “If we are to preserve culture we must continue to create it.” – Johan Huizinga
- “Culture is what motivates and retains talented employees.” – Betty Thompson
- “Culture is a way of coping with the world by defining it in detail.” – Malcolm Bradbury
- “Be passionate about the culture and the business, and remain positive because it inspires others.” – Barry Liber
- “We are increasingly recognizing and accepting, respecting and celebrating, our cultural diversity.” – Julie Bishop
- “Preservation of one’s own culture does not require contempt or disrespect for other cultures.” – Cesar Chavez
- “When a tradition gathers enough strength to go on for centuries, you don’t just turn it off one day.” – Chinua Achebe
- “To merely observe your culture without contributing to it seems very close to existing as a ghost.” – Chuck Palahniuk
- “The imagination is the goal of history. I see culture as an effort to literally realize our collective dreams.” – Terence McKenna
- “The truly cultured are capable of owning thousands of unread books without losing their composure or their desire for more.” – Gabriel Zaid
- “No human culture is inaccessible to someone who makes the effort to understand, to learn, to inhabit another world.” – Henry Louis Gates Jr.
- “Our culture places a very high premium on self-expression, but is relatively disinterested in producing selves that are worth expressing.” – Matthew Kelly
- “When you learn something from people, or from a culture, you accept it as a gift, and it is your lifelong commitment to preserve it and build on it.” – Yo-Yo Ma
- “Every culture has something to be ashamed of, but every culture also has the right to change, to challenge negative traditions, and to create new ones.” – Ralph Nader
- “We are, at almost every point of our day, immersed in cultural diversity: faces, clothes, smells, attitudes, values, traditions, behaviors, beliefs, rituals.” – Randa Abdel-Fattah
- “Indian culture is the most complex and colorful culture on the planet. The way people look, their language, their food, their way of dressing, and their music and dance – everything changes every fifty or hundred kilometers in this country.” – Sadhguru
Inspirational Quotes About Culture
- “Food is a lens for culture.” – Dana Goodyear
- “The future of architecture is culture.” – Philip Johnson
- “A mind cannot be independent of culture.” – Lev Vygotsky
- “The beauty of the world lies in the diversity of its people.” – Unknown
- “Culture was actually humanity’s attempt to extend the womb.” – Christopher Dawson
- “Our cultural diversity has most certainly shaped our national character.” – Julie Bishop
- “Fashion is part of our culture, and it’s about more than just a pretty dress.” – Joan Smalls
- “Our culture is obsessed with real events because we experience hardly any.” – David Shields
- “Culture is to know the best that has been said and thought in the world.” – Matthew Arnold
- “Culture consists of connections, not of separations: to specialize is to isolate.” – Carlos Fuentes
- “Don’t let the culture influence your message, let your message influence the culture.” – Mike Huckabee
- “No people come into possession of a culture without having paid a heavy price for it.” – James Baldwin
- “Culture is the bedrock, the final wall, against which one leans one’s back in a godforsaken chaos.” – J.C. Powys
- “Culture is the process by which a person becomes all that they were created capable of being.” – Thomas Carlyle
- “Culture is perishing in overproduction, in an avalanche of words, in the madness of quantity.” – Milan Kundera
- “Without memory, there is no culture. Without memory, there would be no civilization, no society, no future.” – Elie Wiesel
- “If you live only in one culture for the first 20 years of your life, you become conditioned without knowing it.” – Eckhart Tolle
- “Corporate culture matters. How management chooses to treat its people impacts everything for 99 better or for worse.” – Simon Sinek
- “Without culture, and the relative freedom it implies, society, even when perfect, is but a jungle. This is why any authentic creation is a gift to the future.” – Albert Camus
- “Culture makes people understand each other better. And if they understand each other better in their soul, it is easier to overcome the economic and political barriers. But first they have to understand that their neighbor is, in the end, just like them, with the same problems, the same questions.” – Paulo Coelho
Why Is Cultural Diversity Important?
Cultural diversity is a crucial aspect of our lives that has the power to bring people together, enrich our societies, celebrate differences, encourage personal growth, and support economic growth.
By valuing and embracing cultural diversity, we can create a more inclusive, tolerant, and vibrant world.
For example, the quote “Culture is the arts elevated to a set of beliefs” by Terrence McKenna, suggests that culture has the power to shape our beliefs and influence the way we see the world, and therefore has the potential to drive social and political transformation.
In conclusion, culture is a complex and multifaceted concept that touches every aspect of our lives.
Cultural quotations offer a glimpse into their significance and help us to understand their role in shaping our beliefs, values, and behavior.
They inspire us to reflect on our own cultural heritage and to appreciate the rich diversity of cultures that make up our world.
Which is your favorite culture quote? Write in the comments section below if we have missed some quotes on the list and we’ll be glad to add them to the list.
If you like these quotes please share them with friends and family on Facebook, Pinterest, Tumblr, WhatsApp, Instagram, and more.