75 Journal Quotes To Keep You Writing & Journaling
Read the best collection of journal quotes, sayings, and captions (with images and pictures) to inspire you to start writing and record your life story daily.
Journaling is the practice of writing down our thoughts, feelings, experiences, and ideas in a notebook or journal.
It can be a simple and private way of recording our daily activities, reflecting on our emotions, and expressing our creativity.
Journaling is a powerful tool for self-reflection, personal growth, and creative expression.
Writing down our thoughts, feelings, and experiences can help us process our emotions, gain insight into ourselves and our lives, and improve our mental and emotional well-being.
From Anais Nin and Virginia Woolf to Leonardo da Vinci and Frida Kahlo, countless creative individuals have kept journals that offer a fascinating glimpse into their lives and minds.
The following journaling quotes offer inspiration, guidance, and encouragement for anyone who wants to start or deepen their journaling practice.
Top 10 Journal Quotes
- “Keep a diary and one day it’ll keep you.” – Mae West
- “A life worth living is a life worth recording.” – Jim Rohn
- “Journal writing is a voyage to the interior.” – Christina Baldwin
- “Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart.” – William Wordsworth
- “Journaling is like whispering to one’s self and listening at the same time.” – Mina Murray
- “Journaling helps you to remember how strong you truly are within yourself.” – Asad Meah
- “Preserve your memories, keep them well, what you forget you can never retell.” – Louisa May Alcott
- “Documenting little details of your everyday life becomes a celebration of who you are.” – Carolyn V. Hamilton
- “Journal writing, when it becomes a ritual for transformation, is not only life-changing but life-expanding.” – Jen Williamson
- “As there are a thousand thoughts lying within a man that he does not know till he takes up the pen to write.” – William Makepeace Thackeray
Inspirational Quotes About Journaling
Journaling can also be a way to record our ideas, dreams, and goals, and to track our progress toward achieving them.
Throughout history, many writers, thinkers, and artists have recognized the value of journaling and have used it as a means of exploring their inner worlds and developing their craft.
- “Sometimes the only paper will listen to you.” – Anonymous
- “A journal is your completely unaltered voice.” – Lucy Dacus
- “Writing is the only way I have to explain my own life to myself.” – Pat Conroy
- “The habit of writing for my eye is good practice. It loosens the ligaments” – Virginia Woolf
- “I’ve always written. There’s a journal which I kept from about 9 years old.” – Maya Angelou
- “Thus says the Lord, ‘Write all the words which I have spoken to you in a book.’” – Jeremiah 30:2
- “Writing eases my suffering . . . writing is my way of reaffirming my own existence.” – Gao Xingjian
- “This pouring thoughts out on paper has relieved me. I feel better and full of confidence and resolution.” – Diet Eman
- “Writing is my way of expressing – and thereby eliminating – all the various ways we can be wrong-headed.” – Zadie Smith
- “Writing is medicine. It is an appropriate antidote to injury. It is an appropriate companion for any difficult change.” – Julia Cameron
- “Write what disturbs you, what you fear, what you have not been willing to speak about. Be willing to be split open.” – Natalie Goldberg
- “Your Journal is like your bestfriend, You don’t have to pretend with it, you can be honest and write exactly how you feel.” – Bukola Ogunwale
- “I write in a journal daily. This extraordinary ritual has revolutionized my mindset, transformed my heartset, and generally influenced in my life exponentially.” – Robin
- “Journaling is a great way to pay attention to ‘how it all came to be.’ In looking back, you gain insight into (and appreciation for) your challenges, lessons, and perseverance.” – Melissa Steginus
- “For me, writing is a way of thinking. I write in a journal a lot. I’m a very impatient person, so writing and meditation allow me to slow down and watch my mind; they are containers that keep me in place, hold me still.” – Ruth Ozeki
Powerful Quotes On Journaling
Reading these inspirational journal quotes inspires you to pick up your journal and start writing!
Whether it’s your favorite bullet journal or a simple diary, sometimes being creative with the style of writing can bring fresh enthusiasm to record your day-to-day feelings without a miss.
- “In the journal, I am at ease.” – Anaïs Nin
- “People who keep journals have life twice.” – Jessamyn West
- “Write hard and clear about what hurts.” – Ernest Hemingway
- “Read a thousand books, and your words will flow like a river.” – Lisa See
- “You can always edit a bad page. You can’t edit a blank page.” – Jodi Picoult
- “I can shake off everything as I write; my sorrows disappear, my courage is reborn.” – Anne Frank
- “Start writing, no matter what. The water does not flow until the faucet is turned on.” – Louis L’Amour
- “Journaling is a good way to help us to stop, take a step back and reflect on ourselves.” – Journey Cloud
- “Journal writing gives us insights into who we are, who we were, and who we can become.” – Sandra Marinella
- “I never wrote things down to remember; I always wrote things down so I could forget.” – Matthew McConaughey
- “Keeping a journal of what’s going on in your life is a good way to help you distill what’s important and what’s not.” – Martina Navratilova
- “If you do not breathe through writing, if you do not cry out in writing, or sing in writing, then don’t write, because our culture has no use for it.” – Anaïs Nin
- “And by the way, everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt.” – Sylvia Plath
- “I don’t journal to ‘be productive.’ I don’t do it to find great ideas or to put down prose I can later publish. The pages aren’t intended for anyone but me. It’s the most cost-effective therapy I’ve ever found.” – Tim Ferriss
- “The only thing I have done religiously in my life is keep a journal, I have hundreds of them, filled with feathers, flowers, photographs, and words – without locks, open on my shelves.” – Terry Tempest Williams
Famous Journaling Quotes
- “Writing is an act of courage.” – Unknown
- “Journal writing is a wonderful pathway to self-awareness.” – Rand Olson
- “Journaling helps focus my thoughts and brings peace to my soul.” – Unknown
- “There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.” – Maya Angelou
- “Successful journals break the deadlock of introspective obsession.” – Alexandra Johnson
- “The best time to begin keeping a journal is whenever you decide to.” – Hannah Hinchman
- “I believe myself that a good writer doesn’t really need to be told anything except to keep at it.” – Chinua Achebe
- “What a comfort is this journal. I tell myself to myself and throw the burden on my book and feel relieved.” – Anne Lister
- “If you want to write, you need to keep an honest, unpublishable journal that nobody reads, nobody but you.” – Madeleine L’Engle
- “Every secret of a writer’s soul, every experience of his life, every quality of his mind, is written large in his works.” – Virginia Woolf
- “You must remember that your story matters. What you write has the power to save a life, sometimes that life is your own.” – Stalina Goodwin
- “A personal journal is an ideal environment in which to become. It is a perfect place for you to think, feel, discover, expand, remember, and dream.” – Brad Wilcox
- “The starting point of discovering who you are, your gifts, your talents, your dreams, is being comfortable with yourself. Spend time alone. Write in a journal.” – Robin Sharma
- “Writing is another powerful way to sharpen the mental saw. Keeping a journal of our thoughts, experiences, insights, and learnings promotes mental clarity, exactness, and context.” – Stephen Covey
Best Journal Quotes To Inspire You To Write
Journaling can take many forms, such as free-writing, brainstorming, list-making, or recording specific events or memories.
It can also include structured prompts or exercises, such as gratitude journaling, goal-setting, or self-reflection.
- “Keep writing, and one day you might just become a great writer.” – Pablo Picasso
- “Love words, agonize over sentences. And pay attention to the world.” – Susan Sontag
- “I write because I don’t know what I think until I read what I say.” – Flannery O’Connor
- “Nobody cares much whether you write or not. You just have to do it.” – Natalie Goldberg
- “I can recapture everything when I write, my thoughts, my ideals and my fantasies.” – Anne Frank
- “Whether you’re keeping a journal or writing as a meditation, it’s the same thing. What’s important is you’re having a relationship with your mind.” – Natalie Goldberg
- “Each Bullet Journal becomes another volume in the story of your life. Does it represent the life you want to live? If not, then leverage the lessons you’ve learned to change the narrative in the next volume.” – Ryder Carroll
- “Writing in a journal each day allows you to direct your focus to what you accomplished, what you’re grateful for and what you’re committed to doing better tomorrow. Thus, you more deeply enjoy your journey each day.” – Hal Elrod
- “Journal what you love, what you hate, what’s in your head, what’s important. Journaling organizes your thoughts; allows you to see things in a concrete way that otherwise you might not see. Focus on what you think you need to find in your art.” – Kay Walkingstick
- “Your subconscious mind is trying to help you all the time. That’s why I keep a journal – not for chatter but for mostly the images that flow into the mind or little ideas. I keep a running journal, and I have all of my life, so it’s like your gold mine when you start writing.” – Jim Harrison
Journal Quotes To Inspire Diary Writing
- “What would you write if you weren’t afraid?” – Mary Karr
- “The first draft is just you telling yourself the story.” – Terry Pratchett
- “I like to reserve the right to write about whatever I like.” – David Sedaris
- “I journal my joy, and my joy expands exponentially forevermore. So be it.” – Amy Leigh Mercree
- “Journaling is paying attention to the inside for the purpose of living well from the inside out.” – Lee Wise
- “What a comfort is this journal I tell myself to myself and throw the burden on my book and feel relieved.” – Anne Lister
- “I write entirely to find out what I’m thinking, what I’m looking at, what I see, and what it means. What I want and what I fear.” – Joan Didion
- “Writing in a journal reminds you of your goals and of your learning in life. It offers a place where you can hold a deliberate, thoughtful conversation with yourself.” – Robin Sharma
- “I owe a good deal to this journal. By unburdening my mind on paper I feel, as it were, in some degree to get rid of it; it seems made over to a friend that hears it patiently, keeps it faithfully, and by never forgetting anything, is always ready to compare the past & present and thus to cheer & edify the future.” – Anne Lister
Why Should You Write A Journal Every day?
The benefits of journaling are numerous. It can help us process and manage our emotions, reduce stress, improve our mood, and boost our mental and emotional well-being.
Journaling can also help us gain clarity on our thoughts and priorities, spark creativity and new ideas, and track our personal growth and progress over time.
You can write a journal can be done anytime and anywhere, with just a pen and paper or a digital device. It can be a daily practice or something we do occasionally when we need to sort through our thoughts and feelings.
Integrating journaling into your daily morning routine can be a valuable tool for personal development.
By taking the time to write in a journal, whether it be a gratitude journal or a schedule of your day, you can gain clarity and insight into your thoughts and emotions, which can lead to greater self-awareness and growth.
Additionally, journaling can be a helpful practice for reducing stress and anxiety, as it allows you to process and release any negative thoughts or feelings that may be weighing on you.
People love to decorate their journals with stickers and doodles making them fun and aesthetically pleasing.
Feel free to share these aesthetic quotes with friends and family on Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp, Twitter, Pinterest, and more to spread some wise words of wisdom.