Read the best collection of rivalry quotes, sayings, and captions that will inspire you to strive for healthy competition that brings out the best in yourself and others.
Rivalry is a common experience in human relationships, whether in personal or professional settings. It arises when two or more individuals or groups compete for the same goal, recognition, or reward.
Rivalry can be a source of motivation, pushing people to perform better and strive for excellence.
However, it can also lead to negative emotions and behaviors such as envy, jealousy, and resentment.
Quotes about rivalry offer valuable insights into human behavior and the complex dynamics of competition.
They remind us to be mindful of our own motivations and actions when engaging in rivalry and to strive for healthy, constructive competition that brings out the best in ourselves and others.
Whether you’re an athlete, sportsman, a business professional, or simply someone seeking personal growth, these quotes will challenge you to re-evaluate your approach and inspire you to cultivate a competitive spirit that is both productive and uplifting.
Top 10 Rivalry Quotes
- “Rivalry doesn’t help anybody.” – Peter Jackson
- “Insecurity is at the heart of every rivalry.” – Beth Moore
- “Records don’t mean anything in rivalry games.” – Dez Bryant
- “Rivalry discovers that courtesy overlooks.” – Baltasar Gracian
- “There are no frictions between us, there is only rivalry.” – Edward VII
- “Rivalry is the life of trade, and the death of the trader.” – Elbert Hubbard
- “Anybody can win unless there happens to be a second entry.” – George Ade
- “Rivalry adds so much to the charms of one’s conquests.” – Louisa May Alcott
- “The only competition you will ever face is with your own ignorance.” – Bob Proctor
- “A horse never runs so fast as when he has other horses to catch up and outpace.” – Ovid
Best Quotes About Rivalry
So take a moment to reflect on these words of wisdom, and let them inspire you to embrace the transformative power of healthy rivalry.
- “Rivalry and envy are Siamese twins.” – Josh Billings
- “What rivalry? I win all the matches.” – Martina Hingis
- “Rivalry only made each other a legend.” – Siva Prakash
- “I can’t think of any better rivalry. We don’t like them, they don’t like us.” – Thomas Williams
- “I don’t feel rivalry. I’m the least competitive person you’ll meet ever, to a fault.” – Rob Corddry
- “Such seems to be the disposition of man, that whatever makes a distinction produces rivalry.” – Samuel Johnson
- “Great rivalries don’t have to be built on hatred. They’re built on respect, on a respect for excellence.” – Mike Krzyzewski
- “When you give success to stupid people, it makes them more stupid sometimes and not more intelligent.” – Arsene Wenger
- “Emulation is not rivalry. Emulation is the child of ambition; rivalry is the unlovable daughter of envy.” – Honore de Balzac
- “The rivalry is with ourself. I try to be better than is possible. I fight against myself, not against the other.” – Luciano Pavarotti
- “It is the privilege of posterity to set matters right between those antagonists who, by their rivalry for greatness, divided a whole age.” – Joseph Addison
- “Life is not a competition with others. In its truest sense it is a rivalry with ourselves. We should each day seek to break the record of our yesterday.” – William George Jordan
- “The most effective way of utilizing human energy is through an organized rivalry, which by specialization and social control is, at the same time, organized co-operation.” – Charles Horton Cooley
- “There are two powers in the world; one is the sword and the other is the pen. There is a great competition and rivalry between the two. There is a third power stronger than both, that of the women.” – Muhammad Ali Jinnah
- “The pressure people put on themselves and the rivalry between the teams is much more marked. And I think that’s a good thing. As long as that rivalry remains within the spirit of competition, it con only spur everyone on.” – Eric Cantona
Rivalry Quotes For Friends & Siblings
Sibling rivalry is a common experience in families where two or more siblings compete for attention, affection, and resources.
It can manifest in various forms, such as jealousy, resentment, and competition, and can be a source of tension and conflict between siblings.
Also See: Conflict Quotes
However, it can also be a natural part of growing up and can help siblings develop important skills, such as negotiation and conflict resolution.
- “Rivalry of scholars advances wisdom.” – Hebrew Proverb
- “There is no overt rivalry among our children.” – Martin Milner
- “It’s a rivalry game. We expected their best shot.” – Daniel Gibson
- “Mothers and daughters have that rivalry thing.” – Gretchen Wilson
- “It is safer and wiser to cure unhealthy rivalry than to suppress it.” – Obafemi Awolowo
- “With the dead there is no rivalry, with the dead there is no change.” – Thomas B Macaulay
- “People will ignore their misfortunes and their interests when they are in competition with their pleasures.” – Proverbs
- “Experience has shown how deeply the seeds of war are planted by economic rivalry and social injustice.” – Harry S. Truman
- “Older Siblings: The only people who will pick on you for their own entertainment and beat-up anyone else who tries.” – Unknown
- “It is impossible for authors to discover beauties in one another’s works; they have eyes only for spots and blemishes.” – Joseph Addison
- “One friend in a lifetime is much; two are many; three are hardly possible. Friendship needs a certain parallelism of life, a community of thought, a rivalry of aim.” – Henry Adams
- “To be honest, there are no problems between me and Messi People have their own opinions about who they think is the better player. It is what it is, but there is no rivalry beyond games and what happens on the pitch.” – Cristiano Ronaldo
- “I don’t remember any sibling rivalry growing up, because by the time I was really conscious, Tom was going away to college. My relationship with him, which is a very close one, really developed in more recent years.” – David Hyde Pierce
- “Sisters define their rivalry in terms of competition for the gold cup of parental love. It is never perceived as a cup which runneth over, rather a finite vessel from which the more one sister drinks, the less is left over for the others.” – Elizabeth Fishel
- “All close friendships are marked with competition. Our earliest tests are against our siblings and playmates, and some of that rivalry endures amongst friends into adulthood. Like dogs play fighting, you learn not to bite hard.” – Christopher Bollen
Quotes For Rivals
- “Iron sharpens iron and rivalry sharpens rivalry.” – Unknown
- “Professional rivalry overshadowed some ‘true love.” – Unknown
- “With competition, everyone has to try harder.” – Harold H Greene
- “Our competition in life is solely with our old self.” – Boyd K. Packer
- “The only competition worthy a wise man is with himself.” – Anna Jameson
- “Competition is the keen cutting edge of business, always shaving away at costs.” – Henry Ford
- “You’re not in competition with other women. You’re in competition with everyone.” – Tina Fey
- “Sibling rivalry is all fun and games until your sister tells your dad and he chops your hand off.” – Unknown
- “The only way to end a rivalry is for someone to rise above it. You have to be the bigger man.” – Carmen Diaz
- “Rivalry causes us to overemphasize old opportunities and slavishly copy what has worked in the past.” – Peter Thiel
- “There is a very specific, unique brand of rivalry that exists between twins. You’re always wondering who the Alpha twin is.” – Alex Hirsch
- “Set higher standards for your own performance than anyone else around you, and your only competition will be with yourself.” – Rick Pitino
- “Rivalry does not make someone better nor does it make them worse, it keeps them the same, but with respect for others, they grow as a person.” – Om Jay
- “Every one of us possesses a gene predisposing us toward rivalry, competition, and fits of envy with any past, present, or future siblings.” – Linda Sunshine
- “Life is a competition not with others, but with ourselves. We should seek each day to live stronger, better, truer lives; each day to master some weakness of yesterday; each day to repair a mistake; each day to surpass ourselves.” – David B. Haight
Feel free to share these uplifting quotes with friends and family on Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp, Twitter, Pinterest, and more.